How do you know when's time to change nipples? *UPDATED*

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 19th, 2009, 06:25 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
*Update* I've been trying the fast flow nipples with Joel off and on for a few days, and he's been doing okay with them. 75% of the time he's perfectly fine, no issues, and the other 25% of the time the faster flow will make him gag. Not sure why it happens so infrequently and the other times he's fine, but that's the way it is. We'll keep using them a little bit until he gets more usedto them, and then switch full-time. Thanks for all your tips!

Anyway, that's the question. We are using Drop-ins with silicone nipples, and when Joel eats he seems like he's sucking really hard. His mouth keeps making a lip-smacking sound with every suck. He doesn't seem upset by it, but I just wondered if he is sucking so hard because he needs the next stage of nipple. He is pretty young for that, right? He's almost 2 months old, 13 pounds, and 23 inches long.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

Last edited by New_England_Girl; August 27th, 2009 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Updating
August 19th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Kylerzmom's Avatar Regular
IMO, every baby is different (As are bottles and nipples for that matter). Some can handle a faster flow than others. If you think he's having to suck hard, maybe try out the next stage up and see how he does with it. No harm in trying, if the next stage up is too fast you can always go back for a while until he can switch comfortably.
August 19th, 2009, 01:03 PM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

August 20th, 2009, 08:02 AM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
I didn't change Kaylin's nipple flow until she was having a hard time sucking. Like, getting frustrated and coming off the nipple many times. She was about 3 months old.

I know some babies will use a stage one nipple until they are one years old and weaning. Others want a fast flow and will get angry if it doesn't come out fast enough. The manufactures will put a suggested age on the boxes, but it really just depends on the needs and wants of your child.
August 23rd, 2009, 09:26 AM
Super Mommy
When Meghan started taking a really long time to drink and was sucking harder than usual, I changed her nipples. I kept her on Stage 2 as anything faster than that made her swallow too much air-she was a gulper.
August 25th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We changed when Emily was taking forever to eat. She was getting really frustrated and it would take a while to eat. We changed her from the Avent Size 1 to size 2 but it wasn't until she was 5 1/2 months.

September 7th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
We used to change if the milk seemed to be dribbling onto Daniel's face, or if he was almost trying to bite it to "pull out" the milk.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search