How often does a FF month old baby poop?

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 19th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Super Mommy
I nursed my little guy for about a month, and for medical reasons switched him to formula. He only poops once or twice a day though, since he's been on formula. Is this normal? Also, can formula cause constipation? He seems to have a hard time pooping, course most babies (FF or BF) seem to hate pooping to begin with.
Thanks in advance!

Tolerance obviously requires a non-contentious manner of relating toward one another’s differences. But tolerance does not require abandoning one’s standards or one’s opinions on political or public policy choices. Tolerance is a way of reacting to diversity, not a command to insulate it from examination.
-- Dallin H. Oaks
August 19th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Jen1409's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Jen1409
what formula is he on? I know when Nicole was on Enfamil she was very gassy and would get constipated. Once I switched to Good Start she was fine.
If I remember correctly they should be pooping once or twice a day
August 19th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Kylerzmom's Avatar Regular
from what I understand, constipation is not present unless the poo is hard and dry. when i switched brennan to formula he went about 4 days before he pooped, his insides just had to get used to it. Even now he has been on formula for a month he still has a hard time geting poo and gas out but they come once a day or every other and are normal, not dry or hard. Babies are still getting used to using their bowel muscles so i understand it is very normal for them to grunt, turn red and seem 'uncomfortable' or like they are straining when they poo or pass gas, they are just getting used to using that part o their body. Brennan even strains to poo when his is runny, i guess that's just how it is.

I would say if your baby is pooping 1-2 timea per day. that's pretty good!

(sorry bad typing, wobbly baby in arms)
August 19th, 2009, 04:11 PM
starryeyedme04's Avatar Jamie <3
Send a message via AIM to starryeyedme04 Send a message via Yahoo to starryeyedme04
bella goes once a day usually

August 19th, 2009, 07:59 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
Kaylin started going once, maybe twice a day when she was 8 weeks old and still BF. When I switched her to formula at 9 weeks, she started going only once.

This website does and excellent job of explaining the world of infant poop. LOL
constipation, infant
August 27th, 2009, 10:58 AM
KatieHeitman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KatieHeitman Send a message via Skype™ to KatieHeitman
Alex was on breastmilk for 4 months, then half breastmilk/half formula bottles for 1/2 a month. He would poop every diaper when it was all breastmilk, and it was about 6 diapers a day. When it was half and half he pooped like once a day. When we started him on 100% formula, he didn't poop for like a week. Now he poops about once a day. On occassion we'll get a couple poopy diapers in one day. Every time you change their food, their poop will change. I was about ready to call the doctor when he hadn't pooped for like a week when we switched, but now he's fine.
September 8th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My son normally goes once a day, sometimes skipping a day and sometimes going 2 times a day.
Some babies can get constipated from formula but my son never has (he was on Enfamil Lipil and I just changed him to Target Up & Up which is the exact same thing!)

September 9th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Elizabeth either does two small poos or one huge one a day. When we switched from BF'ing to formula it did take time for her system to adjust. If he's still having trouble after about a week you may want to switch to a more sensitive formula. Ask your pediatrician to be sure and to see if he/she has any recommendations. Beyond suspected constipation watch for abnormal amounts of gas, stomach aches, spitting up, etc. They can all be signs that he needs put on a different formula.

September 10th, 2009, 10:39 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Cassidy at a month old went once every 2 days. Joel at a month old went once a day. So it can be very different from baby to baby. But usually FF babies don't poop as much as BF'd babies.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

September 11th, 2009, 07:26 PM
My little gal makes big poopies only once or twice a day. She even can skip a day every now and then.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search