JM Article: Bottle Feeding Moms Lack Support

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 23rd, 2009, 08:13 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
The main JM website recently posted this article: Bottle-Feeding Moms Lack Support : Babies : pregnancy and parenting on JustMommies

What do you think?
Do you get the support you need? Do you feel like you got enough support at the hospital when your baby was born?
Where do you get support from about feeding your baby (formula or solids) now?

Quote:
According to a new report found in the British journal Archives of Disease in Childhood, women who bottle-feed may not be getting enough support or information on bottle-feeding.

British researchers looked at 23 studies on new moms and suggest that the lack of support for bottle-feeding moms may put infants’ health at risk. While most experts agree that breastfeeding is the ideal nutrition for babies, not all moms choose to breastfeed or are able to. Moms who bottle-feed may not be getting adequate information on how to feed their babies.

According to the researchers, bottle-feeding moms had issues with guilt over not breastfeeding, anger, or felt pressure to breastfeed. They also worried about negative opinions from health professionals. In fact, some new moms felt that their caregivers spent much more time with breastfeeding moms.

See details for more information:

Bottle-Feeding Moms Ignored - US News and World Report
August 24th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Kylerzmom's Avatar Regular
I would have to agree. I know for me, I felt like it was implied by health care professionals each time I had a child, that if I could not make BFing work, I was a failure. That if I had to or choose to FF, that I was poisoning my child, that I was a terrible mother and I didn't deserve the kind of help that BFing mother got. I know that since I stopped BFing, I got less help with my other sons. Tankfully our ned pediatrician is really nice and even though she prefers if her patients are BF, she isn't making me feel bad for FF and she is doing what she can to help us get his feeding issues straightened out without making me feel guilty. I do enough of that on my own. I think FF moms naturally feel guilty, especially if their LO's have eating problems or formula intolerance, like THEY are the reason their child is suffering, because they didn't or couldn't BF. I know I felt guilty and horrible for about 2 weeks after quitting, and even still sometimes when he has the reflux issues, I feel like it';s my fault he is in pain.
August 24th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've been on both sides of this issue. I BFed my son until he self weaned at 6 months and then I BFed DD for 3 weeks but she was having so many issues with gas, lactose sensitivity and reflux it was just better for her to be on a lactose free formula. Either side I was on there was always someone who had an opposing opinion. Breast feeding I was supposed to just hide in a bathroom to nurse because it wasn't appropriate and with formula feeding I was too lazy or selfish to BF. So I don't see one side lacking more support than the other. There will always be 2 sides, you just can't please everyone.

August 25th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Rocker*mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with both sides sometimes not having enough support i think... I tried BF DS... the problems started in the hospital..I had a c-section and they took him away right away instead of letting me try..then i didn't see him for over 3 hours..then when they did bring him to me they didn't say anything to me about feeding or how to guide him or anything (i know i should have done more research but i'm 23 and a little stubborn lol) but my mom had to hunt a nurse down to come help me start and she was not very nice..then none of the other nurses would help so they sent in 2 different LC ladies and nothing worked.. finally they figured out Hayden is tongue tied so i knew right away that was why he couldnt latch but they insisted i was just doing something wrong.. it was way to frustrating to me and him and he was losing weight too quickly and he was SO jaundice..so i decided to try to pump..long story short i couldnt keep up so i decided to go to ***... so now people always ask (why is that one of the first questions people ask? "is he BF??" "oh why not??") and then they ask if i pump... um no i formula feed..then i get a nod..its not as easy for some people. I felt REALLY guilty for quitting because of people around me, and my mom, she's very supportive but she made me feel guilty unintentionally.

anyway i feel like as long as your baby is healthy and growing properly there shouldnt be an issue whether or not he or she is bf or ff... thats what i dont understand about why people care. I was EBF until i was a year (i was my mom's first child) but my brother and sister were only BF for a couple months and none of us ever get sick. My best friend was FF and he never gets sick..then i know some babies who were EBF and have a ton of problems.. and i know thats a reason why people want to BF because they think it keeps illness away..i dont believe that

I just wish i didnt get weird looks when i tell people i formula feed..my baby is obviously healthy! haha

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search