Powder Newbie- need tips!

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 29th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Ok so I have been giving my 7 week old Similac as a supplement and I'll soon be moving her to formula full time with only a few BM feedings a day.

She is VERY gassy and dr. recommended Enfamil Gentle Ease which I only found in the powder form (I have been giving her the ready-to-feed liquid bottles of Similac). I have to admit- preparing this stuff makes me a little nervous! I need some pointers. I am researching how-to's on the web but what better place to ask than a forum where this is all we do! :-)

1) do I use regular tap water? Hot/cold/tepid?
2) how do I travel with this? Like if we take her some where, do i mix ahead of time or take powder in a plastic baggie?
3) can i mix and refrigerate ahead of times (for night time feedings, for instance).
4) does anyone mix in the Playtex Drop In bottles?

Thanks!!
August 29th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I use regular tap water at luke warm temp
2) how do I travel with this? Like if we take her some where, do i mix ahead of time or take powder in a plastic baggie?
I take powder in a small Tupperware container with the scoop and mix as needed
3) can i mix and refrigerate ahead of times (for night time feedings, for instance).
You can mix ahead and it's good in a fridge for 24 hours
I mix it right in the drop Ins

August 29th, 2009, 08:12 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
Don't worry - just like any other baby routine, you eventually work out what works best for you and get used to a routine with it

Kaylin was on Gentlease for a while and it does wonders for gas! I hope it works out!!

I use regular tap water.
It depends on your water system though. If you have well water, DO NOT mix it with your bottles. Many people use "nursery water" or bottled water from the grocery store. But if you use a city water system, you are completely safe to use tap water.

When I travel with Kaylin, I fill the bottle with the appropriate amount of water, and put formula in a sectioned container like this one:
Munchkin BPA Free Formula Dispenser - Munchkin - Babies "R" Us If you are doing a four ounce bottle, bring a bottle filled with four ounces of water, and in each section you put two scoops of formula. Then it's pre-measured and ready to go!
If we are going to be away for an extended period of time, I bring several bottles with water and since the container has three sections for formula, we are all set for three bottles!

I prepare a large container of formula every night. I mix about 36 ounces for the next day in a pitcher (I even mix it with an electric mixer rather than trying to shake that much LOL) and keep it in the refrigerator. As she needs a bottle, I just pour it into a bottle and put it in the bottle warmer.
If you pre-mix, formula must be used with in 24 hours. I have gone over this before and it's not a big deal, but don't use a bottle that has been in the fridge for like, 3 days. LOL

Pre-mixing also helps cut down on bubbles. Bubbles from a shaken bottle can cause gas. When it sits in the fridge all night, it has time to settle. The clumps and bubbles all even out, and it makes for a very smooth mixture almost identical to ready-to-feed.

I tried to at first, and it can be difficult. Many daycares won't allow drop-ins because you can't mix easily in them. It's hard to read the measurements, and if the drop in is the wrong size, out of place, or something... it's off. If you are using drop-ins, I suggest pre-mixing in a large container and pouring as needed into the drop-ins.

Does that answer your questions?
Let us know if you have anymore... we are all glad to answer
August 29th, 2009, 09:08 PM
This is a fantastic start! Thank you so much. I REALLY hope this helps with Abbie's gas.
Edited to ask:
What type of bottle warmer can you use for the Drop Ins? I plan to go to Babies R Us to get one as well as the formula divider...

Last edited by Mommy2Ab; August 29th, 2009 at 09:19 PM.
August 30th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I buy Nursery water. It comes in gallon jugs and I keep it at room temperature. She seems to tolerate it better at room temperature. It isn't expensive and makes it more like pre-mixed formula. It also gives me the comfort that if the city water has trouble she hasn't been drinking it.

I also have a travel container that I use. It makes it SO much easier. You just need to put the water in the bottles and the powder in the container. Then mix it when you're ready for it.

You can do that, but I find that she lacks the patience for heating time. I have the bottles, water and powder all together so I can throw one together in a matter of seconds.

Yes and I've had absolutely no trouble mixing in them. Just make sure that you do the obvious and burp the bottle after you mix the formula.

What type of bottle warmer can you use for the Drop Ins?
I've honestly never had any luck with warmers and drop-ins. If I know I'm going to be needing a warmer I use a solid bottle instead.

Last edited by MamaAnna; August 30th, 2009 at 07:48 AM.
August 30th, 2009, 09:32 PM
starryeyedme04's Avatar Jamie <3
Send a message via AIM to starryeyedme04 Send a message via Yahoo to starryeyedme04
It looks like everyone pretty much answered your questions. We used the drop ins but bella seems to hate them now =[ We never warm our bottles, she takes them at room temp. It's much better for her that way bc if we are out, there usually isnt a place to warm them ya know? So we just use room temp bottled water (our water has too much flouride in it here.)

August 31st, 2009, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Ab View Post
This is a fantastic start! Thank you so much. I REALLY hope this helps with Abbie's gas.
Edited to ask:
What type of bottle warmer can you use for the Drop Ins? I plan to go to Babies R Us to get one as well as the formula divider...
You can use a warmer for drop ins, but I would not recommend it. Most bottle warmers are made for thick plastic bottles and the thin liners in drop-ins heat up FAST! I can't tell you how many times it boiled my baby's milk! It will also melt the thiner drop-in bottles, warping the bottom of the bottle.

I found it easier to get a large glass of hot tap water and set the bottle in there. I would do this, change her diaper, and by time I was done changing her, it was warm enough. You can also turn it upside down and run it under hot tap water. I did this often as well.
August 31st, 2009, 02:27 PM
Everything is going great thus far. We did go get the Nursery water and have been using that and just mixing the bottles on an as-needed basis. My daughter takes the bottles at room temp so it's actually been more convenient then having to warm them each time.

She's had maybe 4 or 5 bottles of the powdered formula at this point and I am really hoping to see a change in her gassiness!

Thank you all for such great advice and tips.
August 31st, 2009, 06:52 PM
That's great!! Yeah, if the nursery water is already room temp, you don't even have to bother warming it Convenient!

How did the rest of today go? Is her gas any better??
September 1st, 2009, 07:26 PM
It does seem to have improved though she's only had maybe 6 servings or so. I am still able to eek out a bit of breastmilk each day for her to have a few servings of that as well.

I also found out Babies R Us sells Enfamil Gentle Ease $2 cheaper than Target!
September 1st, 2009, 07:56 PM
Sweet!!! Every penny saved is worth it!!!

Sometimes Target will have the giant cans on sale. They are like 24 oz w/ 20% more so it ends up being like 28 oz. I can find a can of AR like that for like $23.00.
September 1st, 2009, 08:37 PM
Yes- BRU had the 20% extra can, too,
Hey- what do you do about powder lumps leftever after vigorously shaking the formula? Any tips?
September 2nd, 2009, 07:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I shake the bottle from a different angle so the formula splashes against it and breaks it down. I don't know what I'll do when the bottles are fuller though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search