Hello ladies

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 30th, 2009, 03:48 AM
*Fiona*
I'm a newbie to the whole bottle/formula feeding thing. DD was BF from birth but I decided it was our time to wean. We started out last week with one bottle per day of 50/50 BM/formula.

Thurs I upped it to 2 bottles, Friday I knew she wasn't satisfied with nursing from me so decided I would just bottle feed using 2oz BM/4oz formula and see how Kirsty got on. And we haven't looked back since.

Yesterday I moved to 1oz only of BM and today we are all formula.

I have been offering her a bottle since she was 2 months old and she refused every time, so this is a huge thing for both her & I! I'm so please it has been a smooth transition for her. Now I have the pleasure of waiting for my milk to dry up

What I would like to know... how many oz is average per feed at around 7months? I have made up 7oz for each of her 4 bottles today. I'm not overly concerned if she doesn't drink all of them as what she is getting now is more than she was getting from me the last few weeks. Last night she took 8oz before bed. And is roughly taking between 3 and 6oz on average.
August 30th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Both of mine were taking 8+oz in a feeding well before 7 months. It sounds like she might be eating more frequently than they were though. She may start drinking bigger bottles more consistently as she adjusts and spaces them out a little better. It'll take her some time for her appetite to adjust to the formula completely.

August 30th, 2009, 09:21 AM
*Fiona*
Thanks Anna, she's taking 4 bottles per day, 7am, 11am, 3pm and bedtime at around 6:30/7pm.

My BBs are soooo engorged I feel quite uncomfortable tonight. Hopefully it wont last too long.
August 30th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah that really hurts. You can try something like Ibuprofen to help take the edge off. Also, put ice on them for about 20 minutes at a time several times a day. Cold helps to discourage production and it has a numbing affect. Just remember not to put it directly on your skin. If you have any and have no problems with it you can also take a percocet. My OB prescribed me some for PP pain and it helped a LOT.

ETA: That sounds like a good feeding schedule. Is she eating a lot of things with the formula? Does she drink anything else yet?

August 30th, 2009, 11:27 AM
*Fiona*
thanks for the ice tip, will try that! Kirsty is on 3 solids meals a day but i have reduced the portions slightly to encourage her to be hungry for her milk as she wasn't getting enough milk from me and I want to be sure she gets enough now. She takes 1/4 weetabix & 3tsps fruit at breakfast, 3tsps veg at lunch & 3tsps veg at dinner.

She was taking about 2-3oz of water per day as well but since she has increased her milk intake she hasn't needed water. I still offr it though just incase.
August 30th, 2009, 10:34 PM
starryeyedme04's Avatar Jamie <3
Send a message via AIM to starryeyedme04 Send a message via Yahoo to starryeyedme04
at that age, my son was taking 8oz bottles.

August 30th, 2009, 10:52 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
Hello Fiona! Welcome to the board!

I'm glad to hear weaning was a smooth transition for you Here are some tips to relieve engorgement.
Mommy Tips for Drying up Breast Milk

As for the amount of formula - my daughter was eating 8 oz. bottles about 5 times a day at 6 months old. The general rule is to multiply your babies weight by 2.5 ounces of formula. That is how much they should be eating per day. For instance, if your baby weighs 15 lbs take 15lbs x 2.5 ounces = 37.5 ounces each day. The amount of each bottle is up to your baby - some babies will take 8 oz. bottles, others will take smaller bottles more frequently.

Now that is an estimate of how much each day. So if they eat 40 oz one day and 32 another, its not a big deal. It's a generalization. Plus you have to add in solid foods. As they eat more solids, they eat less formula.

Here is a link to a thread that does an excellent job of explaining it:
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f9...a-amounts.html (Formula Amounts)

Last edited by JennyBlossom; August 30th, 2009 at 10:54 PM.
August 31st, 2009, 06:13 AM
*Fiona*
She is approx 16.5lbs so 2.5 x 16.5 is approx 41

She is taking more for breakfast & bedtime than she is for lunch & dinner so I've been making 8oz for breakfast & bedtime and 7oz for lunch & dinner. So around 30oz. But at times she cries when she finishes her lunch/dinner bottles so perhaps I should increase. The formula tub gives the guidelines of 4 x 7oz bottles in 24hours for a 7-12month baby. or 5 x 7oz bottles for 5-6months.

Tmor, I'm tempted to make 9oz for breakfast & bedtime and 8oz for lunch & dinner? Or for easiness, maybe just 4 x 9oz bottles & see how much she takes? 4 x 9oz feeds would be 36oz in 24hrs so by weight she can have around 41oz.

Is it possible to feed her too much? I assume she just would refuse if she'd had enough? I'm scared it will overload her?
August 31st, 2009, 10:23 AM
Consider how much she is eating in solids too. My 7 month old still doesn't eat solids (health issues) so she drinks a lot more milk than the average baby her age. Maybe 36 oz. a day.

If she is full, she will most likely refuse the bottle. Think about how she acted when she nursed - what cues did she give when full or still hungry?

If you overfeed her, she will start to spit up. Don't worry though - being an older baby, she is more likely to start to refuse the bottle, pull away, turn her head, etc. when she is full.

Try upping it an ounce and see if that helps
August 31st, 2009, 01:25 PM
*Fiona*
Thanks Jenny, will see how it goes tmor. It's so cute when her bottle is finished and she was enjoying it so much that she cries because it's empty! Poor little thing!
August 31st, 2009, 07:50 PM
LOL That is cute, isn't it?

Kaylin does that too... she will be sucking air and I'll take it away... she will whimper and look at me like "Hey!! I wasn't done with that!"
September 1st, 2009, 05:54 AM
*Fiona*
lol bless her! I cannot believe how fantastic she is doing with this whole transition, considering how severley she refused bottles for so long. She's is doing just fab!

She had 9oz for breakfast and 8oz for lunch today. She's really enjoying her milk I can't wait to check in with the health visitor on Thursday and boast
September 1st, 2009, 09:00 PM
YYAAYY! Great!! I'm so glad she is doing well!!!
September 6th, 2009, 05:13 PM
~DaemonMykailasMum~'s Avatar 1 of Each is such a Treat
Im lurking! (I give the odd formula bottle to my dd..) My daughter is 6 mths (in 2 days) and only drink 3-4 ozs in a bottle is this not enough??

September 8th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi!

My son just turned 6 months and eats 8 oz about 4 times a day. This week however, he hasn't been eating as much as normal and is probably eating 6 oz 5 times a day.
I also just started him on solids everyday so that is taking down his formula intake!

Just follow your babies hunger cues, she'll let you know if she's getting enough!

I'm glad she had such an easy transition from BFing to formula, my son did really well with it also! My engorgement was bad for a week then got better...I hope your ends soon!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search