Hello :)

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 31st, 2009, 11:45 AM
KAYnCOLESmommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Ladies, my name is Emily 25, DH is Brett 27 and we have Kayley 3 and Cole almost 4 months. I am new to this board coming from the breastfeeding board. We finally decided it was time to throw in the towel and FF from here on out. We were supplementing as I wasn't producing enough BM to satisfy Cole and with him growing and growing everyday BFing was becoming more of a chore than an enjoyment. So he is exclusively going to be on GoodStart Gentle Plus. He has pretty bad spitting issues, which we are trying to treat now with Zantac. Hope to get to know all of you!!

August 31st, 2009, 12:24 PM
*Fiona*
Hi Emily,

I just come over to this board too from the BFing board. I weaned Kirsty over the weekend. Nice to meet you
August 31st, 2009, 01:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hello! Have you considered trying him on a soy formula? I'm assuming that one is dairy based. My older two both had horrible problems with spitting up until I put them on a soy formula. Once I did that spitting up was a thing of the past. Just a thought.

August 31st, 2009, 03:28 PM
Rocker*mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey! your from my PR haha
i'm using Similac Sensitive because Hayden was having spit up issues on similac advance early shield... and he is doing great on it, just another idea to try it out.

August 31st, 2009, 06:49 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
Hello!! Welcome to the board!! We are glad to have you
I'm Jenny and SO Don and I have one daughter Kaylin, who is 7 months.

There are several different formulas available to help babies who spit up frequently. The two most commonly used formulas for spit up are Enfamil AR and Similac Sensitive RS. These two formulas are made with a thicker starch in order to make them heavier on babies stomachs. These formulas are much thicker in their physical appearance after mixed. This is also the formula my daughter is on.

Some babies may spit up due to an allergy to the protein in their formula. If you baby is on a cow's milk based formula (which Nestle Good Start Gentle is a cow's milk formula), you may try switching to a formula made from a different protein - Formula's like Enfamil ProSobe and Similac Isomil are made from a soy protein rather than cow's milk protein. However, children who are allergic to cow's milk protein are often allergic to soy protein as well... but sometimes it's worth a shot. If that is the case though, then there are also formulas that are hypoallergenic like Enfamil's Nutrimigen and Similac's Alimentum. These are made specifically for babies with protein sensitivities.
September 1st, 2009, 04:53 AM
Thank you all for the suggestions! We had Cole on Similac Sensitive and Enfamil and he still spit up a ton. My daughter did the same thing just not nearly has much as Cole has been doing. My doctor told me it could be something to do with the part of the throat that closes off after you eat...I can't think of the technical term right now, but she said it could be under-developed and floppy and doesn't close all the way. She said with time it will mature and eventually start closing after starting solids. I'm not sure if she is right, but when my DD was around 5-6 months she wasn't spitting anything up anymore....I switched DS's formula so much early on he was having a hard time having a BM...and he would bleed when switched. So we just stuck with something that was gentle...

September 1st, 2009, 07:59 PM
I have heard of that condition before ... not sure of the technical term, but I think it is common in premature babies - was your son full term? I could be mistaken, but I feel like I heard that somewhere.

How is the Zantac doing? Is it helping at all?
September 2nd, 2009, 07:23 AM
No he wasn't premature...5 days early. But my daughter had the exact same thing, just not nearly as bad. I will have to look up the term b/c it's bothering me that I can't think of it right now, lol.

The Zantac seems to help sometimes, then other times, it doesn't seem to help at all. I'm just not sure he has acid reflux...b/c he never acts like he's in pain from throwing up.

September 2nd, 2009, 09:57 AM
Our pedi just suggested the Similac Sensitive or Enfamil AR...so my mom went to get some for me while I'm at work. They want us to try it for a few days to see how that helps. If it doesn't help or reduce the amount he spits, then they want to see him in the office...will update this thread once a few days have passed.

September 2nd, 2009, 11:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I hope he makes some improvement. Good luck little guy!

September 4th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Well we are going on day 3 of the Similac Sensitive, and I don't want to jinx it, but he's doing MUCH better! It says it reduces spit up by 54%...and I would say that it reduces it by more than that!!

September 4th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Are you doing the Similac Sensitive or Sensitive RS? The RS is supposed to the spit-up reducer.... but what ever works is GREAT! LOL

I'm glad to hear your LO is doing better!!!! Spitting up is a nightmare....
September 4th, 2009, 07:58 PM
It's Similac Sensitive RS, sorry...forgot to specify that part. Yes, he's doing much much better. He seems to get really fussy at night now though, which he never used to do. Right around 9 you can expect about 20 to 30 minutes of fussing...but I will take fussing over spitting ANY day

September 4th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Me too! Fussing I can handle... spitting makes ME wanna spit!!! LOL

Glad to hear its better

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search