Formula feeding mommy questions..

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 7th, 2009, 09:54 PM
graysaturday
Hey! I'm a co-host from the Sept DDC, and I'm struggling with the decision to FF. I worry about judgemental people, but I know this is best for my family and our situation. I had a few questions to help me out, if you wouldn't mind sharing your experience!

Few questions for you (those who's babies are here already, and those who aren't)

1. How did you chose your formula?

2. If you chose it before you had your baby, did you bring some to the hospital to start your baby on it there, or did you just use what they gave you and switch?

3. If you switched once you got home, was it an easy switch?

4. What brand do you use?

5. Did you run into people (staff) giving you a hard time at the hospital if you were choosing formula off the bat?

6. Anything else that you didn't expect?

Thanks ladies!
September 7th, 2009, 10:13 PM
starryeyedme04's Avatar Jamie <3
Send a message via AIM to starryeyedme04 Send a message via Yahoo to starryeyedme04
1. How did you chose your formula? My son was a gassy baby so i decided to just put Bella on the Enfamil Gentlease.

2. If you chose it before you had your baby, did you bring some to the hospital to start your baby on it there, or did you just use what they gave you and switch? With my son, we used what they supplied. He had constipation and gas issues along with reflux so we tried a few ones before going on to the gentlease and then eventually just used nestle goodstart. I like goodstart but our WIC doesnt supply it here.

3. If you switched once you got home, was it an easy switch? Yep.

4. What brand do you use? Enfamil

5. Did you run into people (staff) giving you a hard time at the hospital if you were choosing formula off the bat? With Bella, I b/f for the first 3 weeks. With my son, i did not. I didnt run into anyone saying anything.

Mmm nope!

September 8th, 2009, 05:13 AM
KAYnCOLESmommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
1. How did you chose your formula? I tried to exclusively BF but after a couple of weeks it became increasingly difficult due to his spitting up issues and being constantly hungry and me needing a break. We tried Similac advanced shield then Enfamil Lipil, then goodstart soy, then goodstart gentle for a while, now he is on Similac Sensitive RS for frequent spitters...it's going pretty good so far.

2. If you chose it before you had your baby, did you bring some to the hospital to start your baby on it there, or did you just use what they gave you and switch? BF in hospital

3. If you switched once you got home, was it an easy switch? No, it was difficult and he got constipated and had a hard time having a bowl movement with all the switches. Now he is good to go

4. What brand do you use? Similac

5. Did you run into people (staff) giving you a hard time at the hospital if you were choosing formula off the bat? n/a

6. Anything else that you didn't expect? I didn't expect to have another spitty baby...but he is almost 4 months and it should be letting up soon once he starts on more cereal and solids.

September 8th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Send a message via AIM to ccc
1. How did you chose your formula? It is the least expensive formula where we shop

2. If you chose it before you had your baby, did you bring some to the hospital to start your baby on it there, or did you just use what they gave you and switch? We used what they gave us at the hospital at first, tried a couple other formulas and have been using what we are using now for about 2.5 mos.

3. If you switched once you got home, was it an easy switch? We never had any problems switching formulas, Dmitri didnt care as long as he was getting a bottle in his mouth

4. What brand do you use? We use the Sams Club/Walmart store brand (I'm pretty sure Target and Kroger store brands are the same stuff also)

5. Did you run into people (staff) giving you a hard time at the hospital if you were choosing formula off the bat? At the hospital we tried breastfeeding but more often than not he wound up getting formula but they were very supportive

6. Anything else that you didn't expect? FORMULA POOP and the a lesser extent the cost
September 8th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi Sarah!

1. How did you chose your formula? When I was in the hospital she was starting to cluster feed and was losing a lot of weight very quickly so they had me supplement with that little tube thingy. I used their recommended formula and have stuck with it.

2. If you chose it before you had your baby, did you bring some to the hospital to start your baby on it there, or did you just use what they gave you and switch? With my first two I started with what the hospital gave me, but ended up switching to soy formula. It was an expected switch, but one that I'd hoped wouldn't be necessary. The formula that the hospital used would've been what I used if soy wasn't necessary so I didn't bother taking any with me.

3. If you switched once you got home, was it an easy switch? The switch was hard on their systems at first, but it did get easier after about a week. They were both very sick from the original formula though which made it harder.

4. What brand do you use? Similac Advance Early Shield

5. Did you run into people (staff) giving you a hard time at the hospital if you were choosing formula off the bat? With my first two no. The hospital was very anti-breastfeeding and actually gave bottles against my wishes which blew our chances at breastfeeding. This time the hospital encourages breastfeeding, but they were very supportive whatever the choice. It mostly determined who they sent in to help you. An LC, or somebody to make sure you held the baby properly for a bottle feeding.

6. Anything else that you didn't expect? Definitely the poop. Even with this being my third time formula feeding the smell always gets to me initially. It is far from odorless!

September 8th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
1. How did you chose your formula? I BFed at first but she did have to be supplemented at the hospital because she wasn't having wet diapers. Then she was so horribly irritable and gassy on BM we put her on Similac at 3 weeks and then onto Similac sensitive. Now we just use the Parent's choice equivalent to the sensitive. She also has reflux.

2. If you chose it before you had your baby, did you bring some to the hospital to start your baby on it there, or did you just use what they gave you and switch? They supplemented her with Goodstart because that's what our WIC uses. It didn't work for her either and I refuse to use the Goodstart soy so we dropped WIC and used the Similac and then to the generic.

3. If you switched once you got home, was it an easy switch? Yep just do it gradually not all at once, mix the bottles 3:1, then 2:2, then 1:3 and you shouldn't have any switching problems.

4. What brand do you use? Now we use Parent's choice sensivity

5. Did you run into people (staff) giving you a hard time at the hospital if you were choosing formula off the bat? N/A but they didn't give me a hard time for having to supplement. But it also depends on the hospital.

6. Anything else that you didn't expect? I didn't expect to have a baby who couldn't handle BM, especially since I BFed DS. I didn't realize how much better it would be to just give her a bottle of something she can actually handle than to just give her a boob and let her scream and throw up because "breast is best"

September 8th, 2009, 04:27 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
1. How did you chose your formula? I breastfed for 9 weeks, but then had to stop to take medication. I started her with the basic Enfamil Lipil. She has serious spitting up issues, so we tried Enfamil Gentlease, Enfamil Prosobee, and have landed at Enfamil AR.

2. If you chose it before you had your baby, did you bring some to the hospital to start your baby on it there, or did you just use what they gave you and switch? I breastfed in the hospital - but at my birthing class, they told us the hospital would supply ready-to-feed formula for you. I would call your hospital though, and make sure they will let you bring your own, if you want to. I can't imagine they wouldn't, but I would check to be sure.

3. If you switched once you got home, was it an easy switch? Switching formula was never easy. We switched three times, and because she has reflux, always had trouble switching - constipation, spitting up, gas, you name it.

4. What brand do you use? I have always used Enfamil - I receive WIC and that is the brand they give us.

5. Did you run into people (staff) giving you a hard time at the hospital if you were choosing formula off the bat? I breastfed at the hospital, but my mom's friend was my lactation consultant. When I was struggling to make the decision to switch to formula, she was the most supportive. She was very gentle and kind, reminding me that I needed to do what was best for both of us, and it's ok.

6. Anything else that you didn't expect? Feeding a baby is hard - breast or bottle. Babies are sensitive and finding the right fit for you baby can be challenging.

I would suggest finding out what your hospital provides. If you have issues (gas, spitting, etc.) go form there. Talk to you child's pediatrician too. They usually have a lot of information to give you - AND free samples! LOL
September 8th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi! Don't let anyone make you feel bad about the choices you make for your family! It is your baby, not theirs!

1. How did you choose your formula?
I started out breast feeding and did so exclusively until Jackson was exactly a month. I wasn't making enough for him and I finally gave him some formula the night he turned a month old. It was Enfamil Lipil that I had received from the hospital, it's all I had and I was desperate. He didn't have any problems so I stuck with it. I just switched him to the Target brand this week, they are the exact same ingredients and he's doing great on it...and it's $15 less a can than the Enfamil premium I was using!

2. If you chose it before you had your baby, did you bring some to the hospital to start your baby on it there, or did you just use what they gave you and switch?
NA

3. If you switched once you got home, was it an easy switch?
NA

4. What brand do you use?
It was Enfamil, but I just switched to Up & Up (Target Brand).

5. Did you run into people (staff) giving you a hard time at the hospital if you were choosing formula off the bat?
NA. It was the opposite with me, I chose to BF and I was the odd one in my family for BFing!

September 10th, 2009, 10:50 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Sarah! I'm a Sara too!
We made the decision to FF our kids after I tried BF'ing my first. She wasn't interested in eating and wouldn't latch well at all. So I tried pumping. That tore my left nipple almost off, and she still wasn't getting any milk because it was so painful my letdown just didn't happen. So we just switched to formula, and we've been happy and healthy ever since! I did BF my second for about a week also, but with no real intention of continuing. I simply hated it.

1. How did you chose your formula? We're on WIC (Women, Infants, and Children program), and WIC here gives out Nestle GoodStart. Luckily both of my kids have done fine on it and no issues. When I need to get more than WIC provides, I buy the Walmart brand and we've had no problem switching back and forth between the two.

I just BF'ed in the hospital. But if I hadn't, I definitely would have brought the one that I planned on using full-time. Not all babies switch formulas as easily as my kids do.

3. If you switched once you got home, was it an easy switch? My kids both were fine with just switching, no weaning from one to the other at all. But most babies aren't that way, I've heard.

4. What brand do you use? Nestle GoodStart.

5. Did you run into people (staff) giving you a hard time at the hospital if you were choosing formula off the bat? Not really. The staff all knew I would be formula feeding after getting out of the hospital, and they were okay with that. They better be, it's my kid!

6. Anything else that you didn't expect? How expensive it is. I would have put a lot more time and effort into BF'ing if I had to pay for formula.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

September 10th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
1. How did you chose your formula? We tried the Enfamil Lipil first and she was sooo gassy so we switched to the Enfamil Gentlease. After a couple months we went to the Sam's Club Gentle Formula and its gone so good.

2. If you chose it before you had your baby, did you bring some to the hospital to start your baby on it there, or did you just use what they gave you and switch? I pumped at the hospital and the hospital also had small ready to feed bottles there.

3. If you switched once you got home, was it an easy switch? I pumped for a month. It was easy for me to switch becuase I had an awful time trying to BF. She was given a bottle right after my Csection due to Gestation diabetes and it was an awful crying match for both of us trying to get her to latch on.

4. What brand do you use? Member's Mark Gentle (Same as Enfamil Gentlease)

5. Did you run into people (staff) giving you a hard time at the hospital if you were choosing formula off the bat? More of myself giving me a hardtime. The Lactation Consultants were a little pushy.

6. Anything else that you didn't expect? I wish I would have worked harder getting her to latch...I was tired and we were both crying and it was awful at the time.Pumping was awful for me. I bow down to people that EP for so long!

September 11th, 2009, 07:31 PM
1. How did you chose your formula? We started out on the Similac ready-to-feed because this was what they had at the hospital when my little girl was not latching on. At about 6 weeks, we switched her to Enfamil Gentlease to help with her gas and we've kept her on that since.

2. If you chose it before you had your baby, did you bring some to the hospital to start your baby on it there, or did you just use what they gave you and switch? I had every intention to BF so I never even looked into formula until we had to.

3. If you switched once you got home, was it an easy switch? Abbie took much more to the bottle than to the breast.

4. What brand do you use? Enfamil Gentlease

5. Did you run into people (staff) giving you a hard time at the hospital if you were choosing formula off the bat? No- since I was trying to BF the whole time, full time forumal feeding never came up.

6. Anything else that you didn't expect? I did not expect to FF! But now that we are, I love the ease of it and the fact that I know how much Abbie is getting per feeding.

September 12th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
1. How did you chose your formula? Most of my friends used Enfamil Lipil and so I thought it would be best for Emily. It was what our pediatrician recommended also.

2. If you chose it before you had your baby, did you bring some to the hospital to start your baby on it there, or did you just use what they gave you and switch? They asked at the hospital what formula I was going to use. I had my choice of Enfamil, Similac or Good start. You can call wherever you are giving birth and ask them what they have.

3. If you switched once you got home, was it an easy switch? we gave her every other bottle EBM then Formula. When we switched to all formula we just took out one EBM every few days and she was fine. No issues. She was actually less gassy and a happier baby on all formula.

4. What brand do you use? Enfamil Lipil

5. Did you run into people (staff) giving you a hard time at the hospital if you were choosing formula off the bat? No. Noone ever said a thing. The lactation consultant came in once and asked why I was bottle feeding and I said it was a decision that my DH and I had made from the beginning and it is what is best for our child and our family. I never saw her again during my stay.

6. Anything else that you didn't expect? That my pediatrician's office would give me free samples every time that I went. That there are more moms who FF than what I thought and it is nice to have the support.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search