Do you really HAVE to throw out used formula?

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Kylerzmom's Avatar Regular
This may seem like a really dumb question but I am going to ask it anyway.

Sometimes I will make a 4oz bottle and he only drinks 1oz of it. It seems like such a colossal waste to throw out 3oz just because he drank out of it! Why do you have to throw it out once they drink out of it? What will happen if you don't and you just pop it back in the fridge for later? His drinking is so inconsistent, sometimes he only drinks 2oz and other times he wants 5oz, we are wasting so much formula it isn't even funny.
September 12th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Text book answer: yes throw it away

Honest answer: I've never thrown it away as long as it goes straight into the fridge afterward, and my kids have never gotten ill or died from it

September 12th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The problem is that germs get into the bottle as their air pulls into it which contaminates the formula. As soon as the baby starts drinking germs start multiplying in there so it can cause an increased risk of illness. I always throw it away and just make the next bottle smaller until I know she's ready for a full size bottle again.

September 12th, 2009, 04:24 PM
My little one does the same thing and I now just prepare a big pitcher so that it's all ready to just pour in what she needs.

September 12th, 2009, 07:32 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
This is the #1 reason I make a large pitcher for the day. If she wants more, I just pour in more. The "rules" say to throw it out, because bacteria from babies mouth can contaminate it.

That said... I do it all the time. Kaylin will often not drink much of a bottle. I will keep it out and offer it to her again a few times. She will usually sip on it for a while, go play, sip some more, etc. If she doesn't finish it with in an hour and there is more than 3 oz. left, I put it in the fridge for later. If there is less than 3 oz, I throw it out.

This is from Baby Center:
Formula safety: How to prevent food-borne illnesses | BabyCenter
Quote:
If your baby doesn't finish a bottle of formula within one hour, toss out the remainder. Bacteria from his mouth can seep into the bottle, contaminate the formula, and make your baby sick if he drinks it later.
September 14th, 2009, 06:23 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I usually start with the least amount I know he will eat...then if he needs more, I make more.

If there are leftovers, I always throw them away.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

September 14th, 2009, 09:51 AM
*Fiona*
Do you heat it up? If so, personally I would throw it out immediately. If you use it cold and put it straight back in the fridge - that is different.

I havent had experience in this so I don't know what I would do. I make an 8oz bottle for breakfast & bedtime, and 6oz bottle for lunch & dinner. She often will not drink all her milk and I don't re-offer unless she has hardly had any at all, I just throw it out. Usually she drinks 1/2-2/3 of each bottle, then I discard the remains
September 19th, 2009, 05:55 PM
jen44's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I throw the remainder out but she normally finishes the whole bottle.

Chloe - 6/18/09
Eli - 2/13/12
September 25th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Super Mommy
I usually give it to him anyway. As it is, he usually eats everything, but even if his bottle has only been sitting out for a couple of hours, I'll give it to him unless it's been sitting out in the sun or something.

Tolerance obviously requires a non-contentious manner of relating toward one another’s differences. But tolerance does not require abandoning one’s standards or one’s opinions on political or public policy choices. Tolerance is a way of reacting to diversity, not a command to insulate it from examination.
-- Dallin H. Oaks
October 10th, 2009, 11:43 AM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
I might push it to 1.5 hours, but nothing after that. I went through massive projectile vomiting with my oldest, I have no desire to do it again. Why risk it?

It's going to take some time to him to regulate what he wants at each feeding. We discovered Henry will only take about 3-4 ounces at a feeding when he also eats, so I stopped making him a 6-oz bottle for that time. I now make 3 6-oz bottles each day (morning, afternoon, bedtime) and 3 4-oz bottles (breakfast, lunch and dinner)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search