Feeding/Bottle Rejection Issues.... Any Suggestions?

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 16th, 2009, 06:56 PM
MamaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi All,

My DD is 12 weeks old tomorrow and we breastfed for 1 month with formula supplementation and also fed her pumped breastmilk using Dr Brown's bottles and had no problems.

This past week she has become very fussy with the bottle, pushing the nipple out of her mouth with her tongue, pushing it away with her hands, and rejecting it in general. Sometimes she will take an ounce or two before this behavior begins (when before she averaged 4-6 oz at a feed with no problems). Other times she will reject it right away. (oddly, her early morning feed which is between 4:30a-6:30a she will usually take 406 oz with no fight). I tried 2 days ago switching her to level 2 nipples and it seemed to work once and then it got worse. So I tried switching back to no avail.

Today I broke down and went out and bought a Playtex VentAir bottle to see if it was the bottle itself (this one has a 'fast flow' nipple) and she sucked down 5oz in about 10 minutes with it tonight. It could have just been dumb luck so I am going to try it again with her tomorrow to see if it's really the bottle or if she was just really hungry and it didn't matter what bottle it was.

The other odd thing is if she is in my arms she fights it even harder, throwing her head back and arching her back. She is far more cooperative if lying flat on her changing table, or in her crib or bouncy seat when I offer her the bottle. In fact, she pretty much refuses to eat in my arms the last 2 days. (or DH's.)

DH started this thing about a month ago where he would give her an ounce or two of the bottle on the changing table in the middle of the night so she wouldn't cry as much while he changed her diaper, and I don't know if she decided she likes taking the bottle this way or what!

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or if we are alone here?

Does anyone elses' baby not like taking the bottle in your arms?/prefer taking it while lying down on changing pad/crib/seat?

Anyone elses' baby start rejecting a bottle they previously used for 3 months with no problem?

I'm worried she isn't getting enough to eat!

Help!

September 16th, 2009, 09:11 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
it sounds like she may be having gas pains. Poor little one!!!

For gas you can try these things:
-- A gentle formula (Enfamil Gentlease or Similac Sensitive)
-- Mylicon drops - they can be put in the bottle, or given orally (I have heard giving them orally works better)
-- Burp her a few times - after a couple ounces, then again when she finishes
-- Gentle tummy rubs - this helps Kaylin. To gentle rub her tummy to help her pass gas caught up in her tummy

Try to geed her sitting up, or in a more upright position. Since she is being resistant to eating in your arms, maybe set her up in a bouncy chair to eat, or if she sits in a Bumbo, try that. Kaylin REFUSED to eat lying down in my arms. She had to be sitting up.
September 17th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Definitely sounds like a gas problem. The small amount of formula she was getting in the past may just not have been enough to make it that bad. She's definitely a bit young for fast flow nipples I would think, and if she gets it too fast for her tummy to handle it could make matters worse. I'd try to burp at least twice during a feeding since hers is so bad and then again after. Try to get at least three big burps each time. They may not be there, but if she's that gassy you may find she gives you 3+ easily. Mylicon is more a preventative measure so make sure to give it at the time of feeding and not when she's uncomfortable later. At that point the gas is so far in her system it won't work. You could easily be switching formulas though.

Elizabeth acts very much the way Nora does. She's currently on Similac Advance Early Shield. When she gets a major gas attack it can take days for it to really work its way out of her system so we'll be switching her formula today to Similac Sensitive. If you end up switching as well please keep in mind that it can take a few days or more to really notice a difference. Especially since the gas that she already has will need time to resolve itself.

Good luck!

September 17th, 2009, 02:13 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaAnna View Post
Mylicon is more a preventative measure so make sure to give it at the time of feeding and not when she's uncomfortable later. At that point the gas is so far in her system it won't work. You could easily be switching formulas though.

If you end up switching as well please keep in mind that it can take a few days or more to really notice a difference. Especially since the gas that she already has will need time to resolve itself.
Very good points to keep in mind!

How is she doing today? Any better?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search