making up bottles ? help!

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 26th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I know there are new guidelines as to how to make up the feeds but is it ok to put the water in the bottles then put them in the fridge until needed and then warm the water and add the powder?

I used to make them up and store them ready for use with my 1st son but that was 6 years ago.

I have 1 carton ready to use but after that I must make it up with powder, I would be so greatful if anyone could help. I have just boiled the kettle and its cooling so what do I do next????

(my son is 5months old, have been giving him expressed breast milk until now)
September 26th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You really don't need to boil the water anymore unless you have well water. (not sure how the water is over in the UK though) If your worried about it they have something called "nursery water" which is already sterile all you need to do is measure and add the powder. I just make bottles as needed but you can make a pitcher up and put it in the fridge and it's good for 24 hours

September 26th, 2009, 09:16 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
I'm not sure about the water in the UK... but I know over here, it is perfectly safe to use water right from the tap.

But like was already said, you can buy bottled water like Nursery water or just bottled drinking water and use that.

If you are boiling the water, then I'm sure you could put it in the bottles and refrigerate until you need it, then mix in the powder. I don't see why not.

I use powder, and I make up bottles each night for the next day and store them in the refrigerator. Then I warm them as needed.
October 1st, 2009, 12:47 PM
*Fiona*
I'm in the UK and have not been told anything about using unboiled water - it may be fine to use but I haven't been told/read anything about it.

I have asked this Q over on the UK Mummies board when I weaned Kirsty, just as a general concensus to see who does what. Most of the girls do what I do (which isn't recommended now but was fine when I was little!), I make the milk up at night when Kirsty is in bed, I make up the 4 bottles for the next day, boiled water, add the powder, cool them ASAP in the sink with cold water and store them in the fridge. Then I warm them as needed for each feed.

There are other girls who do as you say and store the cooled boiled water and add powder as needed each feed - seemingly this isn't good as the powder isn't sterile and needs the boiled water to be hot enough to kill off any bacteria in the powder? I'm not 100% sure on this but it makes sense.

I guess mums do this different ways, always have done and we grew up just fine. I'm not saying do it one way or another as the guidlines now are to make a fresh feed each time it's required - when you have a crying baby who is hungry now, who has time to boil a kettle, let it cool for 30 mins, pour the water into bottle, scoop the powder and wait for it to cool when mixed so you can feed baby... not for me but that's my choice
October 10th, 2009, 11:37 AM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
I've done things a few different ways as both my boys were on formula. This is what I do for my LO now:

Keep a gallon jug of tap water filled.
Each night I fill his bottles with water, leaving them on the counter.
I use the travel formula containers, filling one with enough for 6-oz bottles and the other for 4-oz bottles (he only takes 4-oz when he eats).
I mix as I need them.

Occasionally, if I'm super tired, I'll mix his late night bottle and pop it in the fridge, but not usually because then I still have to warm it up.

Doing it this way allows anyone to fix him a bottle. Everything's already measured out. It's also easier because if we have to spontaneously leave the house, Henry's stuff is already to go. I don't have to worry about keeping a cold bottle cold until I need it. (cold bottles shouldn't be out of the fridge more than 2 hours before using)

November 1st, 2009, 10:54 PM
*S.M.S*'s Avatar Super Mommy
i'v tried making bottles ahead of time and refrigerating them and boiling water when dd was hungry and then cooling it but that takes so long
now i use a thermos.
i boil the water and fill up the thermos and then i leave some of the boiled water in each bottle when dd is hungry i just add the thermos water to the bottles (so that its warm) and mix the powder. everything is ready faster

Thanx *Sharon* for my siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search