Looking for breast care advice.

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 20th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Nyzira's Avatar Just call me Bam.
Send a message via AIM to Nyzira
We're 35 weeks pregnant and I just noticed last night that I've started seeping just the tiniest bit of colostrum. We've already decided that we will be formula feeding from the get-go. I know what to do to avoid engorgement and such after giving birth (binding, cabbage leaves, etc) but is there anything I need to be doing now? I thought I was going to get lucky and not have any leaking at all as dry ducts run in the family but I see I can't get that lucky.

Anyway, like I said, it's just the tiniest amount right now. Not even enough to warrant pads or anything. Just enough to leave a bit of a crusty flaking on my skin. I just want to make sure there's as few issues as possible to get my breasts back down and dried up.

October 20th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hmm I never FF from the start but I can imagine all you can really do at this point is try wearing a form fitting bra and no nipple stimulation of any kind so it doesn't reinforce it to keep going. Also when you get a warm shower try not to let it hit your breasts, the warm water usually makes you leak. I don't know if that would have any effect now but later it most definitely will. Good luck with formula feeding, do you know what your planning on starting out with?

October 20th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the reply!

The hospital has a contract with Similac so we're starting with that. Hopefully she won't have an issue with that. We've got Good Start, Enfamil and I dunno what else floating around that's been given to us by family and friends.

I'll try starting the non-stimulation now and see if that helps.

October 22nd, 2009, 01:54 PM
JennyBlossom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JennyBlossom
Honestly, I don't know if there is anything you can do to prevent milk production before you give birth. The birth of the placenta is what stimulates milk production to begin.

Once you have given birth, it may still take a day or two for your milk to come in. Then you will want to try different things to relieve engorgement - you can't really prevent it I don't think - but you can relieve the symptoms. Watch out for warmth, as it stimulates production and let down, cabbage leaves help, wear a tight fitting bra and try not to stimulate your nipples.
October 22nd, 2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks, Jenny. Like I said, I already know what to do for after birth. I've been informed by an L&D nurse to bring a tight-fitting bra and elastic bandages with me to bind my breasts immediately after birth.

The colostrum has disappeared so I'm guessing that's all I'm getting for now. Maybe the family history of dry boob will win out, yet!

October 22nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The leakage before birth can come and go. You can have that and your milk never really come in after you give birth or you can not have the leakage and end up producing too much. It's just one of those things.

There isn't really anything you can do now except avoiding stimulation as was mentioned. It should be noted that stimulation can also encourage contractions just as an FYI in case you didn't already know. Also, I've read and been told that you should not use cabbage leaves if you have an allergy to sulfa. Not sure if it applies. Ice packs will help a lot. Start using them right away so your milk doesn't come in as heavily. The cold helps to relieve pain as well as reduce production.

Good luck!

October 23rd, 2009, 01:36 AM
Thanks for that, Anna! I'm not worried about the nipple stimulation for contractions. I have herbs that are likely to be far more effective.

I hadn't heard about the sulfa allergy and cabbage leaves. Is this relative only to using them on breasts or does it count for cabbage in general? I've used cabbage leaves on my feet and ankles to relieve swelling without a problem and I eat cabbage ALL the time. It's one of my favourite foods. I'm also allergic to sulfa.

I'll definitely keep the ice packs in mind.

October 23rd, 2009, 06:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I mentioned the stimulation more to help push things along later if need be. They had me try it to induce naturally when my water broke and labor didn't start. It didn't work.

I'm not sure what it is about cabbage and sulfa. I'm highly allergic to sulfa, yet I love coleslaw and I eat red cabbage in my salads. I just remember you're not supposed to use it. Doesn't make sense to me, but I mention it just in case.

October 23rd, 2009, 07:01 AM
Interesting. I'll keep it in mind. I see my OB next week so I think I'll bring it up to him just to be on the safe side. As for the nip stim, I *did* ask him about that a month ago or so and he doesn't really believe in it. His words "If nipple stimulation really worked that well then women would be constantly dropping at 34 or 35 weeks." I'm sure it's worked for a few people out there, though, so I wouldn't count it out completely.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search