'the onesie that shocked a nation'... what do you think!?

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
the onesie in the spotlight:

People are BOYCOTTING Old Navy, because of this onesie.. there has been a real fuss made about it - people saying it's just plain inappropriate....

As a formula feeder yourself - what do YOU think about it? I happen to think that the "I'm a boob man" onesies/t's/etc should be seen as more offensive than this - as far as what's 'appropriate' socially - I mean, talking about boobs? shouldn't THAT be seen as more 'inappropriate & offensive'? I'm not saying that *I* personally find the 'boob man' tops offensive - I happen to love them, and think they're great... but going by social appropriateness (if that's a word haha), then something about boobs should be 'worse' than something about formula feeding!

here are a couple of popular blog posts regarding the onesie, doing the rounds...
anti-onesie: peaceful parenting: Old Navy Sells "Formula Powered" Newborn Onesie
pro-onesie: WHO Code, Old Navy, and the Case of the Renegade Onesie | Fearless Formula Feeder

September 15th, 2010, 07:18 AM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think the onesie is cute and the outrage is unwarranted (for the most part). I don't understand why people can't just respect other peoples' choices and keep things peaceful. I think the FFF blog post explained it really well and I agree with that. Thanks so much, BTW, for posting that blog. I look forward to reading a lot more of it. There is so much more to the FF vs. BF issue than meets the eye. I think it has made me want to try to really write out my own story soon - I think it would be therapeutic.

September 15th, 2010, 07:32 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think people like to get all worked up about the smallest things, that's what I think! you don't like the onsie? don't buy it, end of story. it is silly to think a onsie is going to change the course of a BF or a FF mom, just feed your kids people!! however you want is fine! stop blaming everyone one for everything! these sort of things fire me up LOL.....(disclaimer this is not to offend anyone here I just think in general people let things bother them way too much!) I personally find this onsie cute and I also find the boob man ones cute too.
September 15th, 2010, 08:42 AM
renee4152's Avatar Proud Mommy of 2!
I bought one! I don't see a problem with it at all. I don't mind the shirts for BFers so I don't think they should mind the ones for FFers.
September 15th, 2010, 08:51 AM
MrsLMB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OMG...Im not an active member of this board but we have been supplementing with formula for the last few weeks and I saw this and felt the need to voice my opinion.

First of all, people should be worrying about their own business. What I feed my baby is my decision. They say that breast milk is best, ok, but what about those chicken mcnuggets and cheeseburgers you let your toddlers have? Its a little bit of the pot calling the kettle black. Nutrition needs don't stop after nursing or formula feeding. The one great thing about being a parent is being able to make decisions on how to parent your own children. Others are attempting to control that and we shouldn't let them. Talk about...

Second, the only reason there is a debate over this is because people like to debate. I could probably stir up the same kind of response by wearing a black and brown shoe together and publicizing the heck out of it.

People get in a fuss over this but I see 16-year-olds wearing the stripper shirts that say "I support Single Moms"?

Anyway, I will relax now and go give my hungry baby a bottle of Enfamil.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for the pretty siggy!
www.leannebraniff.com
September 15th, 2010, 11:33 AM
ZeliaMarie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
Anyway, I will relax now and go give my hungry baby a bottle of Enfamil.
LMAO!!!

Are these onesies in the stories right now?? I'm going to stop by Old Navy today and see. I might just have to buy one in every size until DS is off the bottle. LOL
September 16th, 2010, 03:41 PM
speechteach42's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I saw them still for sale online a couple of days ago. And there's a 40% off sale right now!

I'm so sick of these crazies and all this formula controversy. What people feed their children is their business. Like someone else said, I don't go up to mothers feeding their toddlers cheeseburgers and chicken nuggets and criticize them for "poisoning" their children!
September 17th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Nicole1110's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How completely stupid. If you BF your baby, don't buy it. There is absolutely no reason this should offend or upset anyone. It's as if BF advocates are afraid that this onsie is going to make women WANT to formula feed. Really, give people a little more credit than that. I get so sick of the BF/FF debate.

Major
September 18th, 2010, 04:56 AM
HeatherLopez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with everyone else...the fact that people care so much is ridiculous. They say that breast is best, but I think a lot of people take that to mean that formula is bad, when in fact, it is a very healthy alternative. Just because breast milk is good, that doesn't mean that formula is bad.

I love this part... "Babies do not choose to be fed in this manner - one which brings with it negative consequences both immediately, and long term - physically, mentally, and socially." Really? I was formula fed. I was a healthy kid, and I am a healthy adult. My 8 and a half month old is formula fed. I may be biased, but I think she's a healthy little genius.

And the comments to that blog.... "I will never shop at Old Navy again!!" Wow. You're dumb. That's all I have to say on that one.

Oh, and how dumb is it that I couldn't even buy this onesie even if i wanted to, for fear that someone will judge me for my choice.
September 18th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I think it's cool to SEE one that actually allows parents to say "hey - I formula feed, and I"m proud of it!!!" - because it isn't something we should be ashamed of.... Part of me wonders if this whole debacle is going to encourage more people to create onesies etc like this... great way to get your product out there is to do something 'controversial'... but the way you feed your baby shouldn't be viewed as controversial anyway...

September 18th, 2010, 08:11 PM
hannah79's Avatar A little bit wicked
I think people are absolutely ridiculous. Breast is best--no question about it. However this is too far. A previous poster mentioned that people are going crazy because people like to debate. I don't disagree, but I think it goes further than that. I think that many moms like to go out and prove that they are "better". That being said, we have that onesie for DS and I can't wait until it is cool enough for him to wear it!

September 19th, 2010, 04:00 AM
aussie_mama22's Avatar Brooke
Send a message via AIM to aussie_mama22
What a completely ridiculous thing for people to get upset about!! Just reading some of the comments on the Old Navy site made my blood boil. I dont understand why people get themselves so worked up.

I think its a fantastic onesie, and Id get one of my American friends to send me one if it wasn't coming on summer here.

Thankyou *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

September 19th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_mama22 View Post
I think its a fantastic onesie, and Id get one of my American friends to send me one if it wasn't coming on summer here.
lol me too - totally!!!!!!!! if they did a short sleeve version I'd be there!

September 19th, 2010, 03:33 PM
ToriLeigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, sorry to butt in, not a poster here, but I saw this and the outrage is ridiculous. I am a bf advocate, encourage my friends to at least try, but I don't judge those who formula feed. Breast may be best, but babies were dying of malnutrition before formula was "invented," so it's definitely not bad thing. And I think that you can't know another person's circumstances so have no right to judge. And I think the onesie is adorable.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search