Baby doesn't want formula!

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey ladies!

I already posted in my playroom and on the pumping boards, but I need all the help I can get! I was exclusively pumping for my daughter for 7 months, but now I want to pump less often and feed her both breastmilk and formula. The problem is, she spazzes out whenever I give her formula. Cries and cries and cries. I'm just worried because I still want to give her both...I think if I dried up and she couldn't smell breastmilk on me and formula was her only option...well, I think she would eventually drink it. But I've been trying for a couple of days and it seems to me like she would rather go hungry than have formula, which surprises me because she is eating solids now and has never freaked out over a new taste.

And the crazy thing is, formula ISN'T a new taste for her. She had some when she was a newborn, and she had a couple of bottles last month during her 6 month growth spurt with the baby-sitter. I even bought different bottles today because I thought that would help (so she knows she is drinking something else)...nope. She'll drink water from a sippy cup. I am at a loss! Has this happened to anyone here? Is 7 months too late to introduce formula?

Oh, I also tried a few different formulas...enfamil ready-to-feed (this is what she had as a newborn and last month), enfamil powder, and good start ready-to-feed.
February 9th, 2011, 05:44 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry you are having problems, I formula fed from the start so I probably won't have much great advice but what about mixing breastmilk and formula? like start maybe 75% breastmilk, 25% formula and then gradually reduce the breastmilk and increase the formula ratio? would that maybe work to help her get used to the taste? Just an idea I really don't know? the only other advice I have is to keep trying different formula, maybe Similac or maybe one of the gentle or sensitive versions? I hope you are able to find something that works for you!
February 9th, 2011, 06:37 AM
ZeliaMarie
Hey, I know you.

Will she take the formula if someone else is feeding her? Maybe she's associating you with breastmilk.
February 9th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
Sorry you're having problems with this all of a sudden!!! I would suggest mixing breastmilk & formula, to get her more used to the taste... start out maybe 25 % formula, 75% breast milk, then 50/50, then 75/25 & see if that helps?

February 10th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Haha, yay! Its always nice to see a familiar face! I actually recognize the other ladies as well since I am always lurking on the June boards

Anyway, thanks for all your help! I'm happy to say she finally took formula, yay! I had my friend watch her and I asked her to feed her formula and she finally took it! I guess she just didn't want it from me???? At any rate, I gave her formula for her next 2 feedings, then EBM for her next 3, and just gave her formula again right now. PHEW! I'm so relieved!
February 11th, 2011, 05:30 PM
LifesGood's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i am glad it worked out. sometimes they need to get the different milk from someone different until they get use to it

Jaidynsmum is my siggy hero!

February 12th, 2011, 04:32 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Woo hoo! Glad she finally took it!!

February 14th, 2011, 04:59 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad everything worked out!!! Yay!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search