Going off of AR formula?

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 9th, 2011, 08:24 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Somewhere along the way someone mentioned to me that babies don't usually need to be on AR formula for a long time. Is it possible that he has outgrown his reflux and might do fine on a regular formula? I have a feelig that it's very possible this is the case. I'm not a big proponent of rice cereal for babies (although I know most people don't share this view) and I'm wondering if I'm doing him a disservice by keeping him on a formula with added rice starch for so long if he doesn't need it. (I really worry about obesity and don't like the idea of him consuming too many "white" foods, KWIM?)

The only issue is that we are on WIC and if we try to switch to regular formula and he does fine with it then we have to switch to Good Start, which we tried once before and I think it made him a little constipated. I'm wondering if I should just try a regular formula anyway and just see what happens. I guess I'll ask them about it at our WIC appointment next week too.

February 11th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
Good question! Emersyn was on AR formula for awhile, but after I switched reflux meds we didn't need it any more. I don't know that it'd do any harm keeping him on it, but I do understand you considering changing him back to normal formula! If I was going to be doing that, I would buy a couple of sachets or single serve formula packets (not sure what you have over there) to try him on 'normal' formula before committing to it & then finding out the normal formula doesn't agree with him yet. Most babies outgrow reflux between 5-7 months old, so chances are he will be on his way to getting over it now (if he isn't already)....

let us know how it goes if you do decide to try him on normal formula!

February 11th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Thanks Emma!

We ran out of formula today so I bought a small can of the regular and a small can of the AR. I figured our WIC appointment is next week so I'll go ahead and try the regular formula that they cover so hopefully I'll know by then whether or not it will work for us.

So I got home and made up a bottle of the Good Start but he wouldn't take it. I thought it was too fast of a flow since his AR formula is much thicker, so I tried the level 3 Avent nipple, then tried the Playtex drop ins with the medium and slow nipples and he still wouldn't take it. So I made a bottle of the AR and he even refused that at first. Once he managed to get a taste or two of it he settled down and drank the AR in his regular bottles.

I guess I'll try again with the next bottle and see if he still refuses it.

February 11th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
Hmm I guess it's probably a different taste & texture to get used to - and much like solids, it could take a few goes...

February 11th, 2011, 09:28 PM
He ate about 2 oz. of it this time but I started feeding him when he was asleep. After he woke up he refused it. Hmmm...

Update - he refused his AR formula last night too. Guess he just wasn't hungry. Just now I made a bottle with half AR and half Good Start and he ate most of that, so we'll see if it all stays down. Next I guess I'll try a 75/25 bottle and see what happens.

He took the bottle that was 3 scoops Good Start and 1 scoop AR. He didn't want to at first but eventually started drinking it. No apparent problems yet but still trying to figure out the nipple flow thing. Guess I'll try another bottle of just the Good Start tonight.

Last edited by MaggieLizer; February 12th, 2011 at 05:30 PM.

Tags
ar formula , reflux

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search