Wow...WIC class

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2011, 10:49 AM
HeatherLopez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey ladies, I don't normally post here anymore since my DD is 15 months old now and off of formula. I am currently pregnant again and I plan on mostly formula feeding and I'll probably pump for the first month. It just worked out so wonderfully for us last time around. WIC is requiring me to take a breastfeeding course. I am taking it online and I'm working my way through it, but it really feels more like a class all about the evils of formula feeding. I'm at a section where it explains some benefits of breastfeeding, and says "which one would you chose?" Just for the heck of it I clicked on formula feeding to see what would happen. Well a picture of a crying baby shows up and says "This baby isn't very happy. Try again." Ugh. Okay so we have established that I'm not going to lose weight after I have my baby, I'm more at risk for ovarian cancer, my baby is going to be obese, be slower than the breastfed babies, and die of SIDS. Got it.
March 21st, 2011, 03:20 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
that really upsets me.... we ALL know that breastfeeding is better for baby - we don't need it to be constantly pushed into our faces

*sigh*

March 21st, 2011, 05:30 PM
Well the thing that get me about it, is I do want to pump the first month, but the attitude that I'm poisoning my baby by giving her formula just makes me NOT want to breastfeed at all. I know that is silly, but it just pushes me away from it.
March 21st, 2011, 06:38 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I think its really sad that they go at promoting breastfeeding by shaming any other choice. I was an avid breastfeeder, and even i don't think thats right at all.

Just WIC trying to save some dough.

I also hate how they make it out as a choice, because sometimes it isn't.

March 21st, 2011, 06:59 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, it makes me sick too. I'm glad that WIC exists (and pays for most of our formula) and very glad it promotes breastfeeding but they should be factual in the information they provide. Formula saves babies lives in many cases and the benefits of breastfeeding are probably not as significant as they are usually made out to be. It's so ridiculous to say that a baby isn't happy because it is fed formula.

I feel like I didn't have a choice to use formula - BF does not work out sometimes. They should work on better ways to provide support for new moms to help make BF work (I'm a recipient of WIC and my experience sucked) instead of making them feel bad when and if they choose formula.

March 21st, 2011, 10:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard! First of all, its completely condescending. Second of all...its stupid! Like Michele said, formula saves babies lives. Not everyone can breastfeed. Not everyone chooses to breastfeed for whatever reason.

I exclusively pumped for 7 months and then part-time pumped for an additional month before switching to formula...let me tell you I think formula is one of the best things EVER! And my baby is certainly VERY happy!
March 22nd, 2011, 12:27 PM
Thanks! Glad to see I'm not the only one who found the wording and presentation of the class to be offensive.
March 22nd, 2011, 02:33 PM
speechteach42's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is really offensive and it's a shame that WIC is trying to bully moms into breastfeeding! Every mom should have a choice and feel supported in that choice.
March 25th, 2011, 07:20 AM
LifesGood's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
thats disgusting! most women already feel bad enough if BFing isnt working for them, we get it thrown in our faces enough

Jaidynsmum is my siggy hero!

July 19th, 2011, 09:37 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am currently on WIC and they are making me feel really bad about my decision to formula feed vs. breast. We have no choice than for me to go back to work when my baby is at max 2 weeks old. My DH will stay home with her and he can't produce milk. Uggg... they have made me feel horrible.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

July 19th, 2011, 10:19 PM
mommabirdof4
Sorry they are making you feel bad...I have never been questioned once by WIC for formula feeding the twins from day one....maybe because there are two of them....it is expected kind of for most people. I also never had to take a breastfeeding class...I took one with JoJo since I nursed her and it pretty much sucked...Not enough actually helpful info for someone in the thick of trying to make it work.

I am sure glad we Qualify for WIC...they alone spend 270$ a month on formula for us....we have to buy 100$ worth ourselves a month and that is just at a month old.
July 22nd, 2011, 09:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I too formula feed, but I put in 16 weeks of bad health for myself. Exhausation, sinus infection, etc. I never had enough milk to keep up with my child. She never latched I exclusively pumped and a good day was 6-8 ozs. I took fenugreek and reglan pumped like crazy and nothing!!! I finally dwindled down in supply till I was only getting 1 oz a day! When I started the WIC the breastfeeding package came with a double pump which I already had, so we went with the formula package. I recieved some disapproving stares and looks until I told them she likes her groceries and I can't keep up with her. I'm sorry that they are being so rude and mean. But yes it's not right. I know plenty of babies that were formula fed and/or breast fed and they are just fine!!

August 2nd, 2011, 06:49 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad our Wic doesnt do that. I took a prenatal breastfeeding class and had my head so filled with the idea that formula is bad, that when I started having to supplement Nicholas with it I got really depressed. No one should be made to feel that way so shame on them.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

August 4th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
WIC frustrates me too. They push BFing but then don't do anything to support you. With my first daughter I was pumping because she wouldn't nurse and my pump broke after 6 weeks. I asked WIC about a pump and they said only if I go to work. I'm a SAHM, can't afford day care on my pay. So I had to stop because I couldn't afford a new pump. So dumb.
August 8th, 2011, 10:27 AM
JadaJade's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Skype™ to JadaJade
I love how most of the time people are like " if you choose whther or not to breastfeed, it's the mothers decsion." I'm not going to breastfeed and I've been hearing crap about it since. Can't people just leave us alone? honestly? Are we bad mothers because we didn't breastfeed? I think not.

Lil' Mister, Spencer James is due to arrive 11/1/11!
GO TEAM BLUE!!
July 6th, 2012, 06:58 PM
lovelyenchanted's Avatar Super Mommy
I couldn't BF with my DD either. Lack of supply, bad latch, lots of pain, I just couldn't do it. That WIC location worked really well with me, gave me support and was very ok with my decision to FF.

When I went to my new location this time around and told them I would likely FF due to all my past issues, plus going back to work, they quickly jumped on my and told me to not give in, handed me a bunch of info for their lactation person (who doesn't come to the hospital to help, btw - the other one did) and told me my "benefits" would change so much if I decided to FF. (Meaning I would no longer get WIC, just the baby... which I'm ok with.)

It's very disheartening to be made to feel like we're inferior due to FF. I've come to the conclusion that I will likely FF since it was just so problematic for me before and I have meds that I should be on and can't be BFing. But, I'm so bad for that chioce... *sigh*

July 15th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
See, I've been agonising over this today on my birth plan (the NHS template one for mums birthing in UK hospitals, which has a section about feeding preferences).

I really want to do a mixture, but will probably predominantly formula feed if things go as they did last time (hence lurking here), as I really struggled to breastfeed my son and he was never satisfied with the sad amounts I seemed able to produce - there was often also blood in the pitiful amounts I managed to pump etc. It wasn't really a "choice" to switch to formula, it was for my son's good.

I know that if I say I want to BF and supplement "but", then the midwives at the hospital will push push push me to breastfeed, and I really don't want that. I have wavered between categorically writing I am going to exclusively FF on my birth plan and explaining the situation as is, and made my partner read what I wrote to see if he thought it would lead to them pushing me.

It makes me so sad that they have to employ tactics that make formula feeding moms feel inferior to push breastfeeding. I think there's a lot of assumption that those who "choose" formula feeding do so because they're not educated about the issue, when that is mostly not the case. As for all the supposed side effects of formula feeding, what a lot of rot. My son was a healthy baby as was I (I was also formula fed because in those days it was the "done thing"), we both grew as expected but without getting overweight, and we are both intelligent academically - I was top of the class right through school for reading, writing and literacy and Daniel is going the same way.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search