Planning on Formula Feeding

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2011, 07:47 PM
ashleyj88's Avatar Evelyn's Mommy
Hello! I'm Ashley, currently expecting my first child in June and I'm planning on formula feeding. I initially wanted to breastfeed, but after getting pregnant I found out I have an autoimmune disease that requires me to be on a lot of medication and there are conflicting (and very few) studies about the safety of breastfeeding on the medication I'm on... some show no affect but others show an increased risk of the baby developing lupus and various other autoimmune illnesses. I decided it wasn't worth the risk, plus the doctors are telling me that my illness will likely get worse than ever during the first 3 months postpartum and so I may end up being very weak.

So formula it is!

Anyway, I see a lot of posts in my DDC where first time moms ask for breastfeeding tips from BTDT moms. I thought I'd come here and see if anyone has any formula feeding tips for a first time mom.

So... is there anything you wish you knew when you first started formula feeding? Any tips or advice on what to expect?

Also, I know this is kind of vain (and not the most important issue on my mind, I assure you!), but I was wondering about formula feeding and postpartum weight loss... some pro-breastfeeding people in my life act like I will never get the weight off if I formula feed. I know breastfeeding burns a lot of calories, but does it really make that much of a difference? I found one study (I know that doesn't mean much) that shows there really isn't a difference in postpartum weight loss and I've actually heard a few BTDT moms say breastfeeding made losing weight harder for them because their body required more food, they were still very hungry so they ate a lot, they were too fatigued to exercise much or burn any calories besides what they burned from breastfeeding, etc. Just wondering if anyone would be willing to share their personal experience(s).

March 26th, 2011, 08:00 PM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on your pregnancy!! The best tips I have are to have a few different kinds of bottles and nipples available, some babies are really picky with what they will and won't take. It helps to have a few different kinds on hand just in case. Also just know that sometimes it is difficult to find a good match for baby with the type/brand of formula. Don't be discouraged if the first type you use doesn't agree with baby and you have to switch. With my dd we went thru a ton before finding the right one for her, my son was fine from the start, all babies are different. and most of all don't feel guilty about ff, if that is what you want and need to do (especially for your health) don't let anyone make you feel bad, not that anyone will but sometimes it happens

as for weight loss, I FF both of my kids and was back to prepreggo weight by 6 weeks pp both times. I had GD with both pregnancies though so I didn't gain much weight, 22ish lbs each time and it came off really easy. GD was a curse and a blessing LOL the lack of weight gain was nice, the lack of ice cream while preggo wasn't so nice
March 27th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
congratulations on your pregnancy!!!!!!

I found the best thing when I started FF, was to have a little FF area set up - like somewhere to store the bottles, formula etc so it was all together & somewhere easy to reach.. I also found that a good habit to get into was always having the jug/kettle filled up with boiled water, with cooled boiled water in a (clean) jug in the fridge.. Nothing worse than getting up in the middle of the night to find you have no cooled boiled water!

March 27th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for this post. I'm a first time mommy too and am totally overwhelmed when it comes to feeding baby. These tips are great.
March 29th, 2011, 06:17 PM
speechteach42's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on your pregnancy! I ditto the other girls' comments. I would like to add don't be afraid to try a store brand formula. I thought I had to use Similac or Enfamil, but the store brands are exactly the same and half the price. Also, I keep bottles with nursery water premeasured in bottles on my counter so I can just grab one at night. I also highly recommend one of those little containers with compartments where you can put premeasured formula. They are a lifesaver in teh middle of the night when you're too exhausted to measure and for when you're out and about.
March 29th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think breastfeeding (or exclusively pumping, which is what I did for 7+ months) will help you drop a lot of weight fast...but then you hit a wall. I think both your hormone levels and the fact that you have to consume so many calories prevent most moms (but not all) from getting back to their pre-pregnancy weight while breastfeeding.

If you formula feed, your body returns to "normal" much quicker...you aren't burning so many calories but you don't have to consume so many either, and you don't have an elevated hormone level messing with anything. So as long as you eat healthy and exercise, you should be fine. But dealing with a newborn can be tough (depends on the newborn though, some are easy, mine def. wasn't!), so you might not be able to exercise a lot right away.
April 9th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Soleil's Avatar Happy & Blessed
I planned to breastfeed too -- but do to a medication that I must take, it was not an option for us.

We use enfamil newborn.

I second setting up a station. Also -- bottles are confusing!

Our 9 wk old likes Dr. Brown's. We found Avent leaked and Nuk flow was fast, regardless of nipples.
As for weightloss... it will come.
April 10th, 2011, 03:44 PM
ZeliaMarie
I think everyone has given you some great advice. As for the weight loss you ever know. I FF with my first and dropped all the weight and some in 3 months. With my second (also FF)..yeah, he's 9 months old and I'm still working on that...LOL You just never know.

I also agree with buy a few different bottles...my DD didn't care what bottle she was eating from...my DS only wanted one kind. Store brand is ust as good and the Similac or enfamil. When Similac was recalled we switched to Target's Up and Up and never looked back. If you are going to us a name brand sign up for their membership club...have everyone you know sign up too so you can get coupons and free samples. When you go to the pediatrician ask for samples.

Last edited by ZeliaMarie; April 10th, 2011 at 03:46 PM.
April 19th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Caelen's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think the weight loss thing is really even on both sides.. You can breastfeed and lose it fast, then hit a wall like someone said. Or you can formula feed and just not have quite so many hormones in the deal and you might have more consistant weight loss plus you wouldn't need the calories. I started out both of my kids breastfeeding then moved to formula. For me, breastfeeding didn't really make a difference. I dropped then hit a wall and had to struggle for the last few lbs no matter what. I'm usually too tired to exercise no matter how I feed baby because, well, I have a newborn in the house! lol Its all in what you do fitness and nutrition wise, not how you feed your baby.

My advice:

Bottles: Don't put all your eggs in one basket. At least not right away. My first son wasn't picky at all about bottles, then my second son was. We've gone through 4 bottle types before finding one he likes. Luckily I didn't buy a bunch of each bottle, so I'm not out a lot of $.

I so second the feedig station too. I set up a night time feeding station by my glider in our bedroom and it makes night time feeds go so much more smoothly. I have a formula divider (the round thing that portions it out) and I fill that accordingly. Then I put the water in all my bottles I need for the night and keep it all there by my glider. Then all I have to do is walk a few feet, mix the bottle, go get baby and change him. Feed him, burp him, walk a few feet and put him back in his co-sleeper. With our first I kept everything upstairs in the kitchen. Pain.in.the.butt.

Parent's Choice and Up & Up formula are both great. We used both with DS1 and have used PC again with our second (no Target nearby this time!). So yeah, ditto to the store brand formulas. Don't be afraid to try them. They often say on the canister which one you can "compare to."

Congratulations

Stay at home mom to two:
Jacob 03/17/2009
Benjamin 03/18/2011
April 21st, 2011, 04:33 PM
ashleyj88's Avatar Evelyn's Mommy
Thank you all so much for the tips! I feel much less lost now!

May 24th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Regular
I agree with all of the above...what i did to make my life easier, is actually mix the formula in advance...it depends on what one you use. We prefer Gerber good start. We started out using the ready to serve liquid for about the first 7 weeks.....i am still breastfeeding...so it wasnt too expensive. Now that we are breastfeeding less, i decided to switch to the same brand, but the powder version. With this one, you can mix the formula with the water as needed and store bottles in fridge for 24 hours if need be. That way in the night, i would just grab it, heat it and feed. No mixing. Same with if you're going out.

Another thing i can tell you that took me ahwhile to grasp...was the whole discard after 1 hour rule.

This means 1 hour after the feed begins, as the saliva from babys mouth can eventually cause bacteria to grow in any remaining formula. it does not mean an hour after you mixed it.

So, if you sense your baby is ready for a feed, you can warm up the bottle and have it ready for when she wakes up....however long that may be....then once the feed starts...your hour will begin. good luck!!!
May 25th, 2011, 02:53 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on your pregnancy! I planned on breastfeeding too, but didn't produce enough milk.

My advice is to not switch from one kind of formula to another to another. It does a number on your baby's tummy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search