More newbie questions

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2011, 08:15 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
My son is finally getting used to formula!!
He now takes 3-4 ounces per feeding. So far i've pretty much been letting him tell me when he's hungry. I'm still having trouble figureing that out sometimes, and waste formula. When he was on the boob, he pretty much snacked constantly... so i bet his stomach just isn't used to a larger volume of food at one time.

Do you have a feeding schedule? How much per feeding, and how often does that change? Do you make bottles ahead, or as you go? What about when you are out of the house? How many bottle do you have/ use?

He's 17lbs and 5 months old. His GI doc said he needed to take 27 to 32 ounces a day. So far we're averaging 20-24 but he's still adjusting. In the morning he acts confused and spits the formula out (probably expecting breast milk). He is looking for my breast less and less now though, so maybe we'll get past that finally.

March 27th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Hi there..

My son does not take formula anymore.. But I just wanted to say that when he was, I just made as I go.. I would make what he normally ate at each meal, which was 4-6 oz's.. I'd go though 6 bottles a day.. When we went on a small outing, I would bring a bottle of water and a separate container for the formula.. I would make the formula when he was hungry.

I used this to hold formula powder when I was out of the house Amazon.com: Munchkin Powdered Formula Dispenser Combo Pack, Colors Vary: Baby

As for wasting.. We always wasted and ounce or two.. It took a while to get over it since formula cost so much money, but I didn't want to force fed him or get him sick..

He's 17 months old now and weighs 21 lbs and is probably 29 inches tall.. He's a small guy..

March 27th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I personally made up bottles ahead of time. When she was little I'd make sure to have 2 in the fridge - so when I was going to give her her bottle, I'd make one up while that one was heating.

I have always followed Emersyn's lead with the regularity of feedings, but it didn't take her long to get into her own little feeding routine, you'll probably find that your DS will get into his own once he has adjusted more.

As for going out, if I am only going out for what'll be one bottle feed, I make up a bottle & take it with me.. if it's going to be longer, I take the clean bottles & formula in a special canister (with the water in the bottles already)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search