Mixing Formulas

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2011, 12:57 PM
SuthrnMommy's Avatar That's "Doctor" to you!
I am wondering aboout mixing two formulas (doing half and half in a bottle) to help with Emily's reflux and sensitive digestion. She is 6 weeks, and we started her on Enfamil Newborn, which caused a lot of gas and bursts of screaming fits. Then we went to Similac Sensitive for fussiness and gas. That helped some and really lessened her fits, but didn't totally stop the crying and gas. We are now on Nutramigen which tastes bad but has gotten rid of even more symptoms and cut back on the gas (only on day 4 so far though). Now I am realizing she may have developed reflux because she is increasing in hiccups, spitting up, crying when eating, and wet burps. My theory is if I continue with Nutramigen to relieve lower tummy problems and mix Enfamil AR to relieve reflux then they would help the two issues. Of course, we always take standard measures to keep her reflux down like sitting up and frequent burping, but it's still there. The Nutramigen also keeps her stools soft and flowing whereas I have heard the AR can cause constipation. I figure maybe the Nutramigen would balance that. What do you think?

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, AlexAiden Mommy!
May 5th, 2011, 05:18 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it would probably be fine to mix, so long as each kind is mixed properly and then mixed together I think you would be good to go! I would say it is worth a try! you can always double check with your pedi to be sure. I hope you are able to figure out something that works for you little one!
May 5th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmiejo View Post
I think it would probably be fine to mix, so long as each kind is mixed properly and then mixed together I think you would be good to go! I would say it is worth a try! you can always double check with your pedi to be sure. I hope you are able to figure out something that works for you little one!
Giving her the first mixed bottle now. Couldn't wait to try it after she spit up half her Nutramigen-only bottle from this morning She appears to like the taste better already!

May 5th, 2011, 07:22 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
i would NOT do this. Nutramigen relieves digestive symptoms because the proteins are broken down. If you add AR to it, you are defeating the entire purpose. A better idea would be to thicken the formula yourself using rice cereal or another thickening agent. If you are still having issues on nutramigen, i would see help from a pediatrician for reflux meds, or script for a more sensitive formula.

May 6th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenwonderland View Post
i would NOT do this. Nutramigen relieves digestive symptoms because the proteins are broken down. If you add AR to it, you are defeating the entire purpose. A better idea would be to thicken the formula yourself using rice cereal or another thickening agent. If you are still having issues on nutramigen, i would see help from a pediatrician for reflux meds, or script for a more sensitive formula.
I understand AR will reintroduce milk proteins, but what I was hoping for would be fewer proteins with the benefit of helping her reflux. We had DS on Zantac early on and it did not go well. Eventually took him off. I did not want to add rice because this baby is only 6 weeks old. So far she is doing well with the mix. No bad gas or crying fits, and her stools (while still frequent) are not almost diarrhea like with Nutramigen only. I figured they would bulk up some with AR without causing constipation (another fight we had with our firstborn). I am going to continue this and see how she does and if the pain comes back. Our next apointment is not until May 25th, so if this gets bad again I will call the dr.

May 6th, 2011, 09:49 AM
you can give it a shot, but be on the lookout for symptoms of increased protein intolerance. (extreme fussiness, poor sleep, stools with a high liquid component that soaks into the diaper, strings of mucous in the diaper, flecks of red in the diaper, vomiting 1 hour or more after eating, increased reflux symptom, red target ring rash around the anus)

Many babies when switching to a protein reduced formula like Nutramigen, or one of the elementas, they have a reflux flare as their bodies adjust to digesting differently. The reflux is temporary and usually clears in 2 weeks. So don't give up on nutramigen just because of an inital reflux flare. (though nutramigen still contains milk protein and is not tolerated by some babies)

You'll have to pardon me on this issue, as i've dealth with it for my son's entire life. Reflux almost disappeared when finally switching to the right formula, though it was a difficult transition. He was too sensitive even for nutramigen, and is now on prescription formula. Protein sensitivy can be dangerous if not treated properly, and i hope you aren't masking symptoms with a thickened formula.

May 6th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Well what really bothered me when we switched to Nutramigen was the decrease in her eating, even though it is a pretty thin formula, and the very loose stools, some of which were nothing but water. I believe she needs something easy to digest, but that just didn't feel right to me, maybe TOO easy and thin. It also didn't feel right when she went from eating 4 oz. to 2-3 at the most, and would gag at the end if I tried to give it to her one last time. It was almost like the taste just turned her stomach. Since I started this, she is back up to 3.5-4 oz. per bottle and so far her stools have more consistency and there is less gas. The spitting up didn't bother me as far as reflux goes, but she kept crying while drinking the Nutramigen, hence a possible reason why she wasn't eating much.

I think if she were truly very sensitive to proteins it would show up when any amount was given to her. I just know the Infamil Newborn and Similac Sensitive gave her much worse problems than what we have now. I also keep a close eye on her stools for changes. With the Similac, she was having dark green blobs (like a slime consistency) with her crying fits. Thankfully that is gone as well.

May 6th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Sounds like you have handle on your lo's situation. Just wanted to make sure you were educated on the subject, which it sounds that you are.

I hope this switch works for you. Nutamigen really is nasty, so I can't blame your lo. Teddy's neocate is even worse and we had to force the transition. He likes it now though. He was a very severe case with bloody stools. Keep you ped in the loop just in case.

May 7th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Well....looks like I may have gotten my sign last night. I changed her diaper and found tiny bits of blood-tinged mucous in a few spots of her poop. Tiny spots, like I had to be looking for it, but it was definitely red. So I tried to give her a Nutramigen-only bottle, but she started crying through it and bunching herself up like she did when her reflux symptoms started with Nutramigen So the pedi will be hearing from us on Monday.

May 7th, 2011, 07:55 AM
I'm sorry protein intolerance is so hard. I found it helped when the baby was hungry. When transitioning to neocate, i would distract him with play, and he would be hungry enough to take the bottle later. And yes the initial reflux is awful. You definatley need meds to get through the transition. Does your ped have a weekend line? Maybe they could call you in a script for pepcid or zantac?

May 7th, 2011, 01:43 PM
No weekend line, but she just woke up from a 3 hour nap and is drinking the Nut. very well right now. But I am sure this will be a bottle-to-bottle battle (lol) through the weekend. Our firstborn was on Zantac, so it looks like little sister may follow in his steps We'll see if I get any more blood after stopping the AR for good now.

June 11th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
[quote=alicenwonderland;23827040]i would NOT do this. Nutramigen relieves digestive symptoms because the proteins are broken down. If you add AR to it, you are defeating the entire purpose. A better idea would be to thicken the formula yourself using rice cereal or another thickening agent. If you are still having issues on nutramigen, i would see help from a pediatrician for reflux meds, or script for a more sensitive formula.[/quote

I agree. You could try soy. That's what helped my baby the best. We use Goodstart soy because Enfamil soy caused constipation.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search