Choosing to formula feed and feeling very guilty!

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 12th, 2011, 11:59 PM
So I'll try to make this short, I am a mom of three, tried to BF the 1st two. 1st was DD and I just didn't have the support to take that on at 19 and I had to go back to work full time so I gave up pretty quickly. With #2 DS, I wanted to so badly to BF but had a postpartum hemorrhage that left me iron deficient needing a transfusion that my milk never ever came in. Truthfully though BF'ing just weirds me out, I don't feel natural doing it at all. I don't mind if others do, I am totally for it, it's just not for me, it feels wrong and I have had therapy for this but I just can't change my mind on it. Anywho I am pregnant with # 4 and currently I am living with my in-laws, my MIL is very granola and BF'd all her babies and really feels I should do the same. So today she tells me that the formula Similac has bugs and bug larvae in it and do I really want to feed my baby that? Then proceeds to tell me why I should BF as if I don't already know and how guilty I should feel if I don't even try...this my baby, my body and I should be able to do what makes me feel most comfortable and not have to feel like I'm this huge disappointment to everyone.
August 14th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Veteran
Hi my name is Holly. I tried to BF both of my DDs and both time it didn't work out. BFing is not for everyone. You should never be made to feel guilty about choosing not to do it. Even a lot of Drs will tell you that formulas are almost if not just as good as breast milk. My girls are very healthy where as some of my friends who only BFed have kids that have more allergies and are sick way more than mine. You have to do what is best for you. With DD2 I had to suppliment because she lost 10% body weight after birth so that made BFing harder on me. By the 2 month mark I had had mastitis twice so I ended up pumping for 2 more months. When DD2 was 4 month we learned that she didn't tollerate lactose well so we had to give her a different formula. I will say that formula fed babies sleep better at night. Yes there have been recalls on formulas but there is more out there than similac. We use generic formula now. Do I miss nursing my LO yes, but her reflux is much better and her colic is gone. Not every mother is made to BF same goes for babies some just dont latch/feed well. Never feel guilty about making the choice to feed your baby formula.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search