Spitting up, formula & now constipation issues....

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 9th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Ok, so just puttin out some feelers; you think it'd be ok to mix formulas? My son is 7 months old and has had "spitty uppy" issues since birth. (I should add-this is a child we're adopting-he is a safehaven baby-unknown history).
Anyhow, he spits up alot and always has. The hospital put him on Soy seeing he was spitting up so much on the regular Gentle Good Start. Our doctor is not a big fan of soy cause it constipates. For a while, we tried to make it work on the Similac Sensitive (orange one). He was doing ok, but still spit up alot. He is now recently in the past couple months, in day care and church nursery, so of course the spitting up is now more of a big deal because he goes through another outfit and well, spits up alot. We had talked with the doctor in the past and again, about possible reflux. She said that if he had that, there would be other symptoms which he does not have, to indicate that problem. She said, some babies just spit up more than others, and unfortunately just have to deal with it the best way possible until he outgrows it. Being on jarred foods now, should help. She also said that she would support us trying the soy, seeing as SOOOOO many moms seem to swear by it when they themselves were dealing with a very spitty uppy child, but to beware that it DOES constipate.
Ok, so now the daycare notices that he is doing better and not spitting up as much. BUT, we're not sure if it's the soy? or the fact that my husband brought a different bottle to daycare he's been using. The kind he's been using is the cheapy kind that has all the cutsie animals on it and what not, and you can get one alone for like $2 or 3 together for like $3.98 $4.98?. Anyhow, we're not sure. But we do know that the soy IS constipating him, or I SHOULD say, that when he does go, it is now firmer than what it was before as to when he was on the other stuff.
And so I'm torn...... do I continue with the soy? I've been told by people that apple juice will help him go. So I have, apple juice, he gets his veggies for sure daily (in his jarred food) when he eats. I just bought apple prune juice and apple prune jarred food. Hoping it will SOFTEN his bm. So it's like do I continue with the Soy, or go back. I know others have said to add rice cereal to his bottle to help with the spitting up. So what I've done so far, is ordered a bottle with a slow flow nipple, cause I'm told that he gulps his bottles, and slow flow will help with spitting up. I ALSO got a FAST FLOW nipple for the same bottle because according to what I read somewhere, the fast flow nipple is designed for older babies to be able to drink formula WITH the rice cereal in it without having to make an incision in the nipple for it to pass through better. And then I also got a sippy cup of the same brand so I could use both nipples with whatever works.
But I'm wondering. The Soy formula is Similac, and I had him ON PRIOR-Similac Sensitive. If my concern is the constipation and firmness of his bm seeing he didn't before on the Similac Sensitive, but the Soy seems to work, could I mix the formula so he gets half & half? Or is he not spitting up because so coincidentally he was also on a bottle that is slow flow. God, who knows! Lol
October 14th, 2011, 11:29 AM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
He might me milk sensitive. What did his poos look like prior to being on soy? Slimy and green at all? A good option if you don't want to continue the soy, would be hypoallergenic formula, like nutramigen or alimentum. They do get pricey though. I would not mix formulas though. You will erase the benefits of soy if its truly the milk he's having trouble with.

October 20th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Mama to Aidan & Caleb
I have a reflux baby who is 8 months old now. As a newborn till 3 months his was breastfed and then i needed to stop for reasons. When i stopped it took forever to find a formula he could drink, soy made him constipated, regular Similac made him throw up, enfamil was the sameway, I used Similac Sensitive for Spit up for 2ish months but he was spitting up just as much despite the added rice starch in the formula. The doctors told me to try Similac Alimentum , HUGE mistake, he threw up the worst i ever saw on that one and it was wicked expensive and smelled horrible. So we moved onto Good Start Gentle around 4 months. He stayed on this till just this week, he started getting HORRIBLE gas and i mean HORRIBLE!! He wasn't sleeping and wasn't really eating because all he could do was cry and I tried everything to relieve the gas with no luck so i switched him to Parent's Choice Sensitive. It's low lactose and almost exactly the same as similac sensitive for fussiness and gas (the orange can). He's barely spit up anything and his gas is much better!

Have you tried Dr.Browns bottles?? These are what i use for my son. They're supposed to help with gas, reflux and colic.
Playtex Vent Aire are also good!

((Thank you so much Bokkechick for my beautiful signature photo))

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search