New to FF...

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 14th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I are hoping to foster-adopt and prefer infants. While I breast fed my daughter, I did formula feed/bottle feed as a daycare teacher. Obviously, I can't breastfeed a foster or adopted baby....so what do I need to know? What should I stock up? Obviously, I don't want to buy one specific brand or anything...but what is a good variety to have in a 24-48 hour kit for a baby?

I'm familiar with brands of bottles, but I have never really had to do the washing and sanitizing what do I need? At daycare, we used a crock pot to warm bottles - but how do you warm at home? Do you need the nursery water? Or can I use filtered fridge water? What are the advantages and disadvantages to the different types and brands (powder, concentrate, ready feed, etc) of formula. Are any places better to buy formula at or offer a better discount for bulk purchases? How much on average does formula cost per week/month? How many bottles/day? How many oz per bottle? How many bottles should I purchase as a bare minimum (we do dishes nightly)?

When I did the math based on expected number of oz per day, it looked like we would go through a can in 1.5-2 days. At $20 a can, it would be about $300 a month to formula feed. Of course any tummy issues can mean the cost of formula increases. Does that sound right?
October 14th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Howdy! I will answer your questions with what we have at home. We werent prepared for a formula baby so we were a little behind the game.

First thing, go to similac.com, enfamil.com, and gerber.com. Sign up for their websites. Just put in a date for having a baby or just having had a baby. Tell them you are exclusively breastfeeding. That gets you the most from their checks as possible. Different babies will respond to different formulas. I wouldnt buy too much of any one brand until you know what the baby you get likes. I would buy maybe a small container or two of each major (not specialty brands). That way you are prepared for whatever they could need (and go out and get more of the brand they like best).

I recommend buying 8oz bottles. We are in the process of moving from 4oz bottles to 8oz ones. We make the bottles as we need them, so I dont have to warm them up at all. The few times I did warm the bottle I put it into a pot of boiling water on my stove for just a few mins. I dont use special water. Our tap water is safe to drink so its safe to use in her formula. In terms of cost, the powder is the cheapest. Thats what we use. I have some ready made formula but that is left at daycare if she needs it. I wait for formula sales in terms of buying it. I will take all my checks and coupons to get as much discounted as possible.

How much the baby will eat and how often really depends on the baby. We were given the guideline of 2.5oz per lb of baby. Susie is 3 months and she takes 6 bottles a day of 3-6oz per bottle. I dont use generic, only because they recommend staying with one specific brand. She responded well to Enfamil Gentalease so thats the only thing we use. I would recommend at least 12 bottles. We are still building our stash up to 3 days worth (18 bottles). I try to wash them nightly or first thing in the morning but that doesnt always happen. I hand wash our bottles.

Generally we go through about $18 worth of formula a week ($26 regular price for 22.5oz of powder - $5 coupon - $5 formula check).

Ask your ped once you get a baby about formula samples! Our ped office always gives us 1-2 sample containers a trip which have coupons in them.

Now all this is just what we do, and works for us.

http://hkystar.blogspot.com

October 14th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks Maureen! I do remember Enfamil sending me endless supplies of Formula and coupons. I planned to do that. I feel bad kinda fibbing about a date, but I would love to build up my "emergency" kit with free samples!

I will certainly be asking the hospitals, doctors, etc as we go if they have samples.

Is there a big difference between the specialty bottles (Dr. Browns, Ventaire, Avent, Drop Ins) verses the generic bottles (IE: evenflo, or whatever $3-4 for 3 bottles) in regards to colicy babies? In daycare, I didn't notice a different at all. BUT I was only with a baby 8-10 hours a day. The specialty bottles just look a lot harder to clean and more pieces to deal with.

We do expect a baby to be exposed to drugs or born addicted. Usually when they have the drug exposure they are very fussy/colicy babies. I don't want a tummy upset because of the bottle to be the issue.
October 14th, 2011, 11:22 AM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
I find the specialty bottles to be nice because you don't ahve to "burp" the bottle. The baby can just keep drinking. This was nice because my baby was EBF until he was nearly 6 months old. They don't have to unlatch to breathe at the breast, so it was a more natural action switching to specialty bottles. We use Avents almost exclusively. We have some Dr. Browns and they are nice, but i HATE washing them. I have a handful of the cheaper gerber ones too, because they travel well in the diaper bag without leaking.

We use powdered formula. I think its really easy to deal with out and about. You just premeasure your water into bottles, and your formula into a formula dispenser (you need a few of these) then you just mix as you need them. I just use lukewarm tapwater (our water is really safe). I prefer it because you don't have to heat bottles. In the middle of the night, i just stumble into the bathroom and mix bottles from the tap.

No advice on brands or coupons though. My son is on prescription Neocate, and we didn't have a choice. But insurance covers the cost

October 16th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I found that Susie has an easier time burping with the dr brown bottles.

http://hkystar.blogspot.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search