Question

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 2nd, 2011, 07:11 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
Hi we plan on supplementing with formula at nights and I had a couple questions. First was wondering what the best bottle to use for a newborn. We have some avent bottles do I need to use avent nipples or do any of the other brands fit in them? Also for supplementing would you recommend liquid formula or the powder kind? Thank you.
December 3rd, 2011, 10:10 AM
somo_chickenlady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think any bottle would be fine for a newborn. With our foster babies we plan to use the simple glass Evenflo bottles (3 for $5 at Walmart or Target). Inexpensive and easy to clean, and won't retain a smell if we forget to wash one.

I'm pretty certain that Avent bottles need Avent nipples.

I don't think it matters whether you use liquid or powder. It just depends on personal preference, I think. I would think that powder would be faster b/c you can start with warm water, whereas with liquid you have to keep it in the fridge (unless you get individual size) and you'd need to warm it up. In the middle of the night, I'm not sure I'd want to deal with that. Kwim? Liquid is also MUCH stinkier than powder is. Powdered formula, imo, doesn't have much of a scent, but liquid STINKS! *gag*

Good luck!!!

Click on my blinkies!!

**thank you SO much to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy
and to CupcakeJamie and Niamh ૐ for my blinkies!!**
January 15th, 2012, 06:09 PM
-Anna-'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey girl! I would use powder because it's cheaper. I get my bottles ready at night by putting the amount of water needed in them, so all I have to do is put in the correct amount of powder and shake.

I would think the avent bottles need avent nipples. Also, I do not warm my bottles, but Tyler might want hers warmed since she is used to BFing.

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my very special siggy!
January 16th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Happy Mommy
Ifyou are just supplementing I'd use powder, because the liquid once opened you have to use it all in like 24-48 hours. where as the powder keeps for a month or so once opened
January 17th, 2012, 04:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We use powder. Its cheaper than liquid. As to what type of bottle, I think it depends on the baby. My daughter seems to thrive with dr browns.

We personally didnt like the evenflo plastic bottles we got at walmart because they are a PITA to clean.

http://hkystar.blogspot.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search