Cant figure out what my daughter is having a problem with

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 17th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Hi! I'm a 1st time mom of a 14 month old. I started giving my daughter a bottle of formula at bedtime for the first time from 1.5 months back. I started her of Gerber Graduates Toddler Drink. Since I live in Bangladesh and its not available here (my mother sent it from Canada) I bought NAN 3 from here 2 weeks ago. My daughter usually had severe constipation where she would poop every other day (sometimes she used to poop after 2 days and sometimes she would poop everyday...but mostly she would poop every alternate days). After 3-4 days of having NAN 3 she started having softer poop and then for the last 4-5 days she would fart a lot and poop right after having her bottle. yesterday she pooped 2 during her sleep and once in the morning after waking up and twice more during the day. and each time she would strain a lot and her poop would be watery and mucus-y. When my daughter was 6.5 months old she had allergic reaction to cerelac and rashes erupted on her whole body so I thought she was allergic to cow's milk. but she was fine one gerber's toddler drink. What could be causing this reaction in her? I'm listing all the ingredients from both the formula:

Gerber toddler drink: FRESH SKIM MILK, CREAM, SUGAR, CORN MALTODEXTRIN, CORN AND CANOLA OILS, PALM OLEIN, SOY LECITHIN, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOUR, BIFIDOBACTERIUM LACTIS*, VITAMINS (SODIUM ASCORBATE, DL-ALPHA TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RETINYL ACETATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID, DL-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL, BIOTIN, CHOLECALCIFEROL), MINERALS (MAGNESIUM CITRATE, POTASSIUM CITRATE, FERROUS SULPHATE, ZINC SULPHATE, MANGANESE SULPHATE, COPPER SULPHATE, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE).
* 1 billion B. lactis per 200 ml serving

NAN 3: Skimmed cow's milk, maltodextrin, lactose, cow' milk whey protein, palm olein, low erucic rapeseed oil, sunflower oil, soya lecithin, calcium citrate, fish oil, biifidus culture, lactobacillus culture, vitamins, minerals.

Pls help me understand what could be causing this reaction so that I buy a formula without that ingredient. and formula here is very expensive around $35 for a 800g tin (some are more expensive). should I buy hypoallergenic formula for her? Similac, pediasure, S-26, NAN, NAN H.A., Lactogen, SMA Gold are the brands most available here.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by sana87; May 17th, 2012 at 12:57 PM.
May 18th, 2012, 01:46 AM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
The only differences i see, are the fish oil, added whey protein, and the probiotic cultures. Probiotics can cause gas, but shouldn't cause mucous. If she has a fish allergy, the fish oil could bother her. And maybe she's sensitive teh and the added whey protein is too much for her? Its really hard to say why babies do well with one formula over the other.

May 19th, 2012, 01:09 AM
Thank you for your input. I'll look for a brand that doesn't have whey protein added. Gerber has probiotics too, is probiotics and probiotic cultures different or the same thing? I was thinking maybe the lactose in NAN 3 is causing her reaction, but the gerber one has milk and cream so doesn't that mean it also has lactose? She is not poo-ing mucus anymore, but she still poops within 5 mins of having her 100 ml of formula.
May 21st, 2012, 09:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Its entirely possible that its just from an illness..Ive never fed my kids any form of formula after a yr though so Im not sure about the ingredients..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search