What is "Normal"

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2012, 10:40 AM
kcmommy2be's Avatar Round #2 here we go
Hi I'm Kim, I have a 7 almost 8 week old and she takes crazy amounts of formula. she was taking on average 30-35 oz a day at 4-5 weeks. Now, I think we go through about 40 oz a day easily. We have had to graduate to the "big bottles" it's been crazy. I asked her pedi at last appointment if we were over-feeding her, his response was whatever you are doing it is working, so she must be needing that much. She was born small 5 lbs 9 oz at 39 wks and 2 days, so all I can imagine is she is just trying to "catch up" growth wise???

August 20th, 2012, 01:04 PM
PaxtonsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had the same thing with my son - at 4 weeks, he was eating 40 OUNCES. When he could only fit 2oz at a time, I swear all we did was feed him. He has continued to eat between 35 and 45oz to this day (he's 11.5 weeks). He was born small (6lbs 12oz but went right down to 6lbs 2oz, I'm assuming he was a bit heavier because I had a c section) and is now in like, the 85% percentile for weight. She might just be a hungry girl!

Have you stuck with the same formula? We did Gerber Gentle, he ate a lot. Similac Sensitive - was much thinner so he started eating MORE. We settled on Enfamil Gentlease and just recently he's leveled off to about 36 oz a day, eating 6x a day.

August 20th, 2012, 05:31 PM
kcmommy2be's Avatar Round #2 here we go
I had a not so great experience in birth.. scheduled C-Section, had a panic attack on the operating table, they gave me something to help me relax after she was born and so we tried the whole breastfeeding thing... didn't work. I pumped for a while, like about 5 weeks but the last 2 weeks of that was only able to may produce 10-12 oz a day in which we mainly substituted with breast milk instead of the other way around. Once I went completely formula which has been about 3 or so weeks we had finally gotten it figured out too formula wise... we had been switching her all over the place because I 4 things of similac formula given to me (2 reg & 2 gentle) she was on Enfamil in the hospital then switched to similac and now finally on Gerber gentle, for like the last 3-3.5 weeks. I like the Gerber stuff, and she seems to like it much better she's not letting it dribble or spitting it out like she did the other 2 brands.

I know my Pedi was ok with how much she was eating before, I am just kinda wondering if we are anywhere close to "normal" for FF at this age, or if she is just growing fast because she was sooo little???

September 3rd, 2012, 04:12 AM
.:Kati:.'s Avatar kyler's mommy
I think they do play catch up weight wise. My lo was 5lbs 13oz,he eats like crazy. you're not over feeding don't worry about that. Sound's like she's right on track!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search