Are there times when breast isn't best?

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 1st, 2006, 09:39 AM
Tersh's Avatar DD nurses her baby too!
I am having a hard time. I have been BF'ing and supplementing, but my baby is allergic to soemthing in my diet. She has had bloody stools since week 6. We have ruled out dairy, but don't know what it is. She had a pediatrician appointment in a month....until then, she will continue to bleed. The doctors are not overly concerned: she is gaining weight and seems happy. Here is the thing: formula doesn't make her bleed. I like breastfeeding, but am so tired of making my baby sick. I think she would be better on formula only. Of course, the doctor's disagree, but I am tired of seeing blood in her diaper.

Thank you to *~Joni~* for my beautiful siggy!!

November 1st, 2006, 11:17 AM
Tacey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Tacey
If you think it is best to FF your baby, then go right ahead. My lactation lady kept pushing me to BF and I went with formula a he is just fine.

November 1st, 2006, 05:16 PM
soontobemommyto3
I read an article on the kellymom web site where she talks about sometimes in breastfed babies blood in stool is mistaken for a food allergy when in fact it can be a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. Does she show any other signs of a foremilk/hindmilk problem? Like gassiness? or green poops?
November 1st, 2006, 05:30 PM
baileylee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to baileylee
just dropping in...have you tried eliminating things from your diet one by one...I had to do that and I finally figured out it was the more acidic foods (citrus, etc.) If you cut things out of your diet one by one for about a week each you can probably figure out if it is something you have eaten.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
November 1st, 2006, 05:53 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it depends on who you ask. Of course, BF is benificial from a nutritional standpoint. Emotionally and physically though, sometimes we arent ready. That was my issue. I was just so overwhelmed , plus I developed complications after the c-section which also caused a great deal of pain... my body was trying to recoup from the surgery and fight infection AND I was an emotional mess b/c he had a poor latch (still does!) and was jaundiced and sluggish to eat anyways.... I wasnt BF-ing effectively and I gave up after 2 weeks of sheer hell. My body needed those energy reserves, and my mind needed some time as well. I believe in my case, BF was not best. Some may try to debate me on this, but they weren't there so they dont know... I hope this makes some sense

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
November 2nd, 2006, 08:54 AM
Tersh's Avatar DD nurses her baby too!
The foremilk/hindmilk thing.....she did before, but it should be better now, right? I mean, I've been breastfeeding for 14 weeks. But, I'll look into that. Thanks
As for eliminating things...I guess I'm not that committed to it. I would do it for peace of mind, but personally, I tend to think FF'ing would just be easier.

Like Boxerlove1, I had some trouble with breastfeeding early on and I have never really committed it, which I guess makes this a little easier to decide to quit.

Thanks guys.

Thank you to *~Joni~* for my beautiful siggy!!

November 3rd, 2006, 07:00 AM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Well...

With dd#1 I chose not to breastfeed at all. With dd #2 I tried to breastfeed and it just didn't work for us for many reasons...low supply, had to return to school at 2 weeks PP, she didn't have a good latch....

Anyway here is my advice...
If you want to continue to breastfeed...go for it. Eliminate things from your diet, get all the help and support you can.

If you don't want to continue...then it is ok to quit.
My line that I repeat over and over in this forum...actually maybe I need a blinkie that says it....
IT IS BETTER TO BE A HAPPY FORMULA FEEDING MOMMY THAN A SAD AND CRYING BREASTFEEDING MOMMY!!!
Only you can decide what is best for you and for your baby. I found that once I stopped stressing out over breastfeeding and started feeding her formula that I was much happier and she was much happier...actually my entire family was happier just because I was less stressed. I guess the saying "If momma ain't happy...ain't no body happy" is definitely true!!!

Good luck with your decision. No matter what you choose you are a good mom and you are doing what you feel is best for you, your baby, and your family.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search