Which is a better formula

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 7th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Prophetess Taryn's Avatar Super Mommy
My baby has to take a soy based formula, which is better similac or nestle good start. I want something that doesnt have a lot of gasiness too it. She has been so gassy lately. She is currently on similac Isomil soy, and she is tensing up and having alot of gas during the night hours.

Please help.. she is 7 weeks old as of tomorrow.

November 7th, 2006, 11:01 AM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
I think it depends on the baby. Some babies do better on the Similac others on the Good Start, others on something else.
How long has she been on the Similac Isomil? It takes their bodies 2 weeks to adjust to a new formula. If after 2-3 weeks she is still having problems I would try to switch to the Good Start.

November 7th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Quote:
I think it depends on the baby. Some babies do better on the Similac others on the Good Start, others on something else.
How long has she been on the Similac Isomil? It takes their bodies 2 weeks to adjust to a new formula. If after 2-3 weeks she is still having problems I would try to switch to the Good Start.[/b]
She has been on the similac for about a month now. She will be 2 months on next wed. I am really seeing that she has been very gassy and fussy, as well as tensing up during feedings. So, i am wondering if I should switch to the Good Start soy instead of the Similac soy.

November 7th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Tacey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Tacey
I use the regular Good Start with Iron and I have never had a problem with it. I have heard (from several friends) that Similac is thick, stinky and made their babies gassy. I have never used it. When they gave me the 2 free powdered cans at the hospital (I BF while at the hospital) I sold them to the Baby Resale Shop. After the many stories I heard, I didn't want to chance it. Good Start with Iron for us!

November 7th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Quote:
I use the regular Good Start with Iron and I have never had a problem with it. I have heard (from several friends) that Similac is thick, stinky and made their babies gassy. I have never used it. When they gave me the 2 free powdered cans at the hospital (I BF while at the hospital) I sold them to the Baby Resale Shop. After the many stories I heard, I didn't want to chance it. Good Start with Iron for us![/b]

Thank you, we have been through so much with this gassiness issue, and nothing seems to work and i cry sometimes because I can see that she is in pain and I cant do nothing about it, and it's getting worse, so I just want to find something that is gentle on her stomach because i know thats the issue.

I hope she can get relief from Good Start.

November 7th, 2006, 12:32 PM
soontobemommyto3
good luck! We use regular Good Start. None of my kids liked Similac. I used Enfamil with #1 and #2 but I have to say I am really impressed with Good Start. Sadie would projectile vomit enfamil but not good start. There is something to those comfort protiens.
November 7th, 2006, 07:39 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Quote:
She has been on the similac for about a month now. She will be 2 months on next wed. I am really seeing that she has been very gassy and fussy, as well as tensing up during feedings. So, i am wondering if I should switch to the Good Start soy instead of the Similac soy.[/b]
I would say if it has been 1 month then I would probably try the Good Start. Hopefully it will work better for her. Keep us updated on how the switch goes!!

November 8th, 2006, 08:09 AM
babydahl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
She has been on the similac for about a month now. She will be 2 months on next wed. I am really seeing that she has been very gassy and fussy, as well as tensing up during feedings. So, i am wondering if I should switch to the Good Start soy instead of the Similac soy.[/b]
I would say if it has been 1 month then I would probably try the Good Start. Hopefully it will work better for her. Keep us updated on how the switch goes!!
[/b]
I agree. At least try the Good Start. If she does happen to get worse you could go back to Similac, or look for another.

I hope it works out for you!
November 8th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Kath113's Avatar Pogo Addict
I was using Enfamil Lipil w/Iron (not soy) and Cameron has been a fussy SUPER gassy mess of a child. Its to the point that I can't stand it anymore. I just switched to the Similac Isomil Advance soy yesterday evening and I've already noticed a difference (because of the free sample can). One thing I notice is the lack of bubbles in the bottle after shaking....the Similac seems much "calmer" of a formula compared to the Enfamil. He seems happier already today too...much less gassy. It does stink though! LOL Bu, it just goes to show how one formula works for one baby and doesn't for another.

I'm going to stick with this one for a week or two and if he regresses or it doesn't completely work well, I"m going to try the Good Start soy instead also.
November 8th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Quote:
I was using Enfamil Lipil w/Iron (not soy) and Cameron has been a fussy SUPER gassy mess of a child. Its to the point that I can't stand it anymore. I just switched to the Similac Isomil Advance soy yesterday evening and I've already noticed a difference (because of the free sample can). One thing I notice is the lack of bubbles in the bottle after shaking....the Similac seems much "calmer" of a formula compared to the Enfamil. He seems happier already today too...much less gassy. It does stink though! LOL Bu, it just goes to show how one formula works for one baby and doesn't for another.

I'm going to stick with this one for a week or two and if he regresses or it doesn't completely work well, I"m going to try the Good Start soy instead also.[/b]
Well when i made the similac soy it was all foamy and like you said it smelled horrible and it was thick. She started off ok but as we went on she got more gassier. The nestle good start is wonderful. It is so smooth, when you make the powder and mix it up it doesnt even foam at all, and the texture of the powder is also alot softer that the powder for the similac soy.

So, i was very impressed with the difference between the two soy formulas. I hope you get the results your looking for.

November 8th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Kath113's Avatar Pogo Addict
Quote:
Quote:

I'm going to stick with this one for a week or two and if he regresses or it doesn't completely work well, I"m going to try the Good Start soy instead also.[/b]
Well when i made the similac soy it was all foamy and like you said it smelled horrible and it was thick. She started off ok but as we went on she got more gassier. The nestle good start is wonderful. It is so smooth, when you make the powder and mix it up it doesnt even foam at all, and the texture of the powder is also alot softer that the powder for the similac soy.

So, i was very impressed with the difference between the two soy formulas. I hope you get the results your looking for.
[/b]

The foamy stuff is how the Enfamil was for me but so far its not doing it with the Similac. I'll keep an eye out for it though and see how it goes. I don't want to switch to Good Start just yet after only having switched to this yesterday. I don't want to confuse the dickens out of his poor digestive system. I'll definitely go to Good Start next though if this doesn't work out.
November 8th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Did your Dr recommend a formula to you? My Dr recommended Similac advance and that is what I have been giving her I have noticed that she has gas and at times she acts like she is in pain. We went to the Dr today and she said to give her the gas drops (can't rememeber what they are called) if that doesn't help to call back and we would try something different. I guess I just assumed she would tell me if I needed to switch formula. I will try the drops if that doesn't help I may just switch her to good start and see what happens.

November 8th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Tacey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Tacey
Quote:
Did your Dr recommend a formula to you? My Dr recommended Similac advance and that is what I have been giving her I have noticed that she has gas and at times she acts like she is in pain. We went to the Dr today and she said to give her the gas drops (can't rememeber what they are called) if that doesn't help to call back and we would try something different. I guess I just assumed she would tell me if I needed to switch formula. I will try the drops if that doesn't help I may just switch her to good start and see what happens.[/b]
According to my PED (who does NOT recommend gas drops) NO BABY should have to have gas dops. It is finding the right formula. My baby farts like any regular/normal person throughout the day. When it comes to eating... I have never had a gassy baby, EVER. The handful of my friends said Similac made their babies gassy and when they made the switch, it was relief. Maybe you could ask you DR why he/she didn't recommend switching formula and recommended the drops? Most of the PED's in the office I go to (and several other PED's in the vacinity) DO NOT recommend the drops.

November 8th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Mia&Mattea'sMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never tried Good Start because DD is on a special formula by Similac but the reason I didn't use the powder version is because of the bubbles at the time. Similac has redone all their formulas now to have less bubbles when mixing. I've tried it after they redid it and it was 100 times better then the old version. Also the gas drops sometimes to cause more gas for them because all they do is produce more gas so that they can burp and release the gas.

Kourtney Mom to Mia 1-7-06
& Mattea 1-20-08
November 8th, 2006, 11:32 PM
babydollz_676's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to babydollz_676
i didn't like the good start.i know it is supposed to be "most like breastmilk" but i didn't think it would be THAT close.when my dd was on it,she ate just like a breastfed baby .it didn't fill her up for long and it went right through her.she ended up eating too much and one can wouldn't last a day and she almost doubled her birth weight at her 10 day check up.i prefer enfamil but every baby is different.some moms swear by good start
dd~1

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search