Those using soy formula

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 9th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Kath113's Avatar Pogo Addict
I switched Cameron to Similac soy formula less than a day and a half ago. I've actually already noticed an improvement in his gassiness. His baby acne has even cleared up in that time which I didn't expect since he just got it a few days ago! Anyway, one thing that does concern me is his BM (or lack thereof). He went yesterday mid-morning and it was the same color as usual (mustardy/light brown type color). He would've still had some regular milk-based formula in his system at that point. Anyway, he hadn't gone again until just now (over 24 hours later) and I was getting worried he was constipated as I could tell he had been trying to push it out for a couple hours now and he was having some major strong smelling gas toots. So he finally went and the color was dark green and it definitely smells like BM now....didn't smell so much before on the other formula!

Is this a negative reaction to the soy? Anyone else have this happen when switching to soy? I'm wondering if instead of switching to all out soy, I should've just switched to lactose free formula instead. I definitely notice an improvement in his gassiness but I wonder if I went too far in the other direction formula wise...
November 9th, 2006, 12:26 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Paige isn't on soy but still has the dark green smelly poops. the dr said that is normal. I think she only had the yellow seedy bm's for the first month or so.

November 9th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Prophetess Taryn's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
I switched Cameron to Similac soy formula less than a day and a half ago. I've actually already noticed an improvement in his gassiness. His baby acne has even cleared up in that time which I didn't expect since he just got it a few days ago! Anyway, one thing that does concern me is his BM (or lack thereof). He went yesterday mid-morning and it was the same color as usual (mustardy/light brown type color). He would've still had some regular milk-based formula in his system at that point. Anyway, he hadn't gone again until just now (over 24 hours later) and I was getting worried he was constipated as I could tell he had been trying to push it out for a couple hours now and he was having some major strong smelling gas toots. So he finally went and the color was dark green and it definitely smells like BM now....didn't smell so much before on the other formula!

Is this a negative reaction to the soy? Anyone else have this happen when switching to soy? I'm wondering if instead of switching to all out soy, I should've just switched to lactose free formula instead. I definitely notice an improvement in his gassiness but I wonder if I went too far in the other direction formula wise...[/b]
This same thing happend to my baby when we switched her to similac soy. She started to grunt and push really hard to have a BM. Then she would BM only once a day and would cry when going. They would be very dark green and pastey as well as thick. Plus they would smell really bad. Her gassiness didnt get any better though. So, when speaking to the doctor she asked us to switch to another brand of soy. So, now we are on Nestle Good start Soy. I have notice alot of changes since we been on this formula. For one, when preparing it, it isnt as foamy as the similac soy. Second, her BM's are not as thick, and the color has changed back to yellowish. It is also easier for her to have a BM, also she is having 2 to 4 BM's a day now. Which is better. She started off having this many then upon swtiching it slowed down. One thing I have heard was that Similac soy is a thicker formula so it takes longer to move down their little systems.

I must say, since we been on Good Start soy, She is alot less gassy, and goes BM more regularly. I would try Good start to see if there is any improvements. We surely got some.

Hope things work out for you.

November 10th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Quote:

Is this a negative reaction to the soy? Anyone else have this happen when switching to soy? I'm wondering if instead of switching to all out soy, I should've just switched to lactose free formula instead. I definitely notice an improvement in his gassiness but I wonder if I went too far in the other direction formula wise...[/b]
This same thing happend to my baby when we switched her to similac soy. She started to grunt and push really hard to have a BM. Then she would BM only once a day and would cry when going. They would be very dark green and pastey as well as thick. Plus they would smell really bad. Her gassiness didnt get any better though. So, when speaking to the doctor she asked us to switch to another brand of soy. So, now we are on Nestle Good start Soy. I have notice alot of changes since we been on this formula. For one, when preparing it, it isnt as foamy as the similac soy. Second, her BM's are not as thick, and the color has changed back to yellowish. It is also easier for her to have a BM, also she is having 2 to 4 BM's a day now. Which is better. She started off having this many then upon swtiching it slowed down. One thing I have heard was that Similac soy is a thicker formula so it takes longer to move down their little systems.

I must say, since we been on Good Start soy, She is alot less gassy, and goes BM more regularly. I would try Good start to see if there is any improvements. We surely got some.

Hope things work out for you.
[/b]

Thanks! My baby hasn't had another BM since the green smelly one yesterday around 2 pm. and its now 10 p.m. the next day. I feel so bad for him because he's been doing what you said....straining and pushing and passing gas but not able to produce any BM. I went this evening and bought the Good Start Soy and he's had two feedings of that so far, so I'm hoping it gets things moving in his little gut so he feels better. If he is still bound up tomorrow, I"m going to try a baby suppository or something to help him.
November 11th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
hunter had a hard time with bowel movements once 6 weeks rolled around. We swtiched to Soy and our Dr told us prune juice and water to loosen up his stool. His is pretty good about going with in 2 hours of his morning bottle every day. Occasionally he has an off day but we have started him on food. He is 5 months now.

I would say call your Dr if the BM are hard like clay or become like little pebbles because the baby will definately get backed up.

November 11th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Thanks! He finally went this morning and it was not dry or clay like. So that's good at least. It was still green and smelly though...so maybe that's the soy, I dunno. If he's still having trouble the next couple days with going, I'm going to call the pediatrician and discuss other formula options.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search