Were Breast Feeding Efforts Ruined By A Nurse?

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 22nd, 2006, 10:53 AM
My girl was born by emergency C-Section at 8:37 in the evening. Less than two hours later a nurse handed my baby and a bottle of formula to my husband and said "feed her". Of course my husband fed her ... he did what he was told. They rolled me to my room to sleep the night away, and kept her at the Nurses' station for the night instead of rooming-in with me. They gave her another 5 feedings of formula during the night. So, when they brought her to me to try BF the next day, she screamed bloody murder because all she could get from my breast was a tiny bit of colustrum. The formula feedings stretched her stomach. What infant less than a day old needs 2 ounces of formula at each feeding, when all they're supposed to have is colustrum? I think that ruined our BF efforts right there. She would not BF. Eventually even the lactation consultant told me to pump milk instead. I really do believe those nurses sabotoged my BF efforts. Needless to say, she's FF now, and I don't feel guilty about it. Anyone else experience this?
November 22nd, 2006, 11:23 AM
Miranda and Maria's mommy's Avatar Not Mike's girl
Wow...that really sucks that they did that...

My daughter was given some supplemental formula the first night (she was born at 5pm by emergency c/s too!) They asked me first though and because I couldn't move and was totally enhausted I said yes...I nursed her constantly...I mean never stopping and when she did she would be angry that there wasn't anything...I may have affected my supply b/c I have been supplementing ever since...But when you've been sliced open and hurting, I couldn't care less.

Don't feel guilty about it. She got used to the easy nipple action of a bottle and got lazy--can't blame her. Breast is best, but formula is awesome too! Then again, I would be furious if someone had given her formula without my consent.

If I'm not here, find me on that other website
November 22nd, 2006, 02:29 PM
mommytothree
wow that sucks. I'm so sorry to hear that story. The hospital where I gave birth would give an IV before giving a bottle to a baby where the mom wanted to BF. They are very pro BF here.
November 22nd, 2006, 04:52 PM
Mia&Mattea'sMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry about that! I also had a c-section unplanned they night I went into be induced they asked me if I was formula feeding or Breastfeeding. I told the formula feeding so I never had a problem with it I guess because I was formula feeding but no one even mentioned to me about breastfeeding or asked me about it after she was born.

Kourtney Mom to Mia 1-7-06
& Mattea 1-20-08
November 22nd, 2006, 07:28 PM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
omgosh im sorry to hear that. I also find it a bit strange because I read that babies arent even really hungry at first and can go even a few days without really needing to eat, so I dont see why they were so rushed to give her a bottle. My nurses were respectful and asked what I was doing and then brought Cohen in a few hours after my section and helped me breastfeed. Thank god because it was one of my worries that there would be a mix up. Your efforts were definitely ruined by a nurse. Not only because of the fact that once your baby latched it expected milk but also because babies can easily get nipple confusion if given a bottle so early. Again I'm sorry to hear that, but I am glad that we live in this day and age where we have healthy alternatives.

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

November 24th, 2006, 09:37 AM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
I just wanted to say...
Sorry that the hospital did that. I find it very rude when they can't respect a mother's wishes...weather it be formula or breastmilk!

I never had a problem...with DD#1 I had planned on formula feeding, with DD#2 I tried breastfeeding but had supply issues and she wasn't getting enough and wasn't gaining weight (she's still Failure To Thrive) so I ended up giving up on breastfeeding....but that was my choice.

November 25th, 2006, 07:53 AM
lotus86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lotus86 Send a message via Yahoo to lotus86
Pretty much. I had a HORRIBLE nurse for 3 of my 5 days (in 12 hour shifts ). She was a self-proclaimed "expert" on bf'ing... but she totally traumatized my baby. She was very rough and mean and when she tried to help me nurse, her way of helping was to shove my daughter, who was screaming at the top of her lungs, on to my breast by her ears. When I told her it wasn't working and she wouldn't latch while screaming, of course she pulled the "I'm a nurse, I know better" card. Even my LCs messed me up... they told me to pump only one side to get my milk flowing b/c she wouldn't take to the left breast, but it didn't work, then they gave me a nipple shield, but it wasn't stimulating my nipples enough to produce enough milk. I was never told that I could increase my supply by taking herbs or other methods, I was never told that the shield would interfere with my supply, and all I had was a syringe pump that totally fell apart everytime I used it and sent milk flying everywhere. So basically I was screwed from the start And when the baby blues kicked in, we went for the formula. I am going to be more armed with knowledge about bf'ing w/ my next babe, I really wanted it to work. I will never trust that evil nurse or an LC at the hospital again!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search