Making the switch from formula to milk

Forum: Formula Feeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Formula Feeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 22nd, 2004, 03:36 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I have tried giving my little man milk, but he just spits it out. I didn't have any problems switching DD. Any suggestions on how to do this?? I have tried giving him milk in the sippy as well as juices and water, but he doesn't seem to really like the sippy very well either.
December 22nd, 2004, 04:23 AM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we just made the switch 2 months ago. What we did is 3/4 formula, 1/4 milk for a few days. Half and Half for a few days etc. til it was all just milk. He also only started taking the sippy after he turned 1. It was like all of a sudden he liked it. I tried 3 different types of sippies and the only one he would take is the soft spout Nuby from Walmart. They are only like $1.50 and dont leak AT ALL.

Good luck!

ETA. Ty doesnt like anything cold. He wont even drink juice straight out of the fridge. Maybe your son doesnt either? Maybe (if you havent already) try warming it up in the microwave to room temp.

December 25th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Squirtsmama
How old did u start milk? Im gonna start ds on skim milk first since im allergic,lactose intolarant im afraid he will be to.
December 25th, 2004, 02:37 PM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dont start milk til they are 1. By then solid food is thier main source of nutrition. Before then formula is.

December 26th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to linda11567
Is he 12mnths? I think he is, but you don't want to start him until 12 months. Anyway, we mixed it too, I put 1/4 milk in the formula, then gradually went to half and half, then 3/4 milk to 1/4 formula, then they had no problem with the switch to milk. I did it slow, I think I spaced out over 2-3 weeks. I had problems with sippys too, and still do. the soft ones worked the best in the begining, cause they don't understand how to work the spout and they can do it a little more like a bottle. There is the Avent training cup, it will not leak no matter how much they throw it, and gerber makes a soft spout trainer cup. Many say they are soft, but they aren't really pliable, those are the only two I found that you could actually bend the spout and that they would even consider at that age. Now they like the cheap disposable ones that leak everywhere. Its going to take time and patience to get use to the sippy, it takes them a while to figure it out, so keep trying. I used to give it to them with meals.

Oh we did warm it up for the longest time, we treated it just like formula. I still don't give them anything ice cold from the fridge, I at least take the chill off a little bit.
December 27th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Squirtsmama
ok thanks just checking

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search