Lola Jayne

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Zach & Lola's Mom
Send a message via Yahoo to Madigan
Well today was our due date! I can't believe how much has changed in this past week!!
Here's a quick recap:

Friday was my last day of work. As I sat down in my car to leave, my water broke. Talk about good timing!! I met Andrew at work and we took his car to L&D so I could get "checked out". We had the option of immediately starting Pitocin (I guess this is the "recommended" procedure when a woman's water breaks naturally... WTH?) or going home until I went into labor.Since we were hoping for a non-medicated birth, we chose the latter. Once home, we got our things in order, had some dinner... watched ER. I tried to sleep, but my contractions were frequent enough that I got little rest.

Saturday morning I called the midwife. I still hadn't started laboring, the contractions were actually a bit further apart than they'd been during the night. (I'd been hoping that once I got up and started moving about, they'd increase-- no such luck.) We got back to the hospital around 11:30. She wanted to assess my contractions and discuss our options with us. We were set up in a room with a beautiful view of Burlington and the lake, it was a crisp clear day.

Gorgeous!

The midwife kinda talked us in to starting Pit. I was rather reluctant, but she assured me that a "pitocin labor is EXACTLY like a natural labor..." for some reason, I felt like believing her. Being on Pit. also meant that I'd be strapped to the monitors throughout. But they were "wireless" and I was assured that I could move freely. I was still able to labor in the tub, but the prospect of a water birth was gone. (Because of the pit.) There was an increased risk for infection the longer we waited... I was quickly resigning myself to whatever the good nurses said.

So the pit was started around 1:30. The nurse had blown out a vein in my hand and we had to wait for another nurse to come in. Our nurse and I never really "clicked" in hindsight, I've realized I should have asked for someone else. Anyway. They got me going on the pit and hooked me up to the monitors... BUT WAIT! The darn things kept slipping off my tummy and whenever I moved (ie, walked around even, went to the bathroom, or tried to (gasp) MOVE through a contraction) the nurse would come running in the room to readjust the straps and talk about her dogs.

So anyway, things continued on like that for a few hours. I think I really started laboring hard around 5:30 or so. (I'm not too sure) My contractions were lasting about 1.5 minutes and coming every 45 seconds or something. So I would have one,the straps would slip, the nurse would move back in to readjust and I'd start having another. good times. PLUS, everyone was staring at the monitors, waiting for a contraction, then stare at me while I had one. (One of the things I wanted to avoid most was the monitors.. oh well)

Anyone who know me knows that I HATE BEING WATCHED. If I'm cooking, putting on make-up, blow drying my hair.. ANYTHING.. DON'T WATCH ME! So.. that was loads of fun. Luckily I was together enough to not let it completely overwhelm me. As this labor process was not going how I'd envisioned, I knew that I had to stay positive so it wouldn't be a horrific experience.

By 7:30 I was asking for an epi. The midwife told me I was 3 cm and fully effaced and that it could take another SEVEN HOURS before I would start pushing... So I took the plunge. Out goes the prospect of even laboring in the water...

Throughout this whole time Andrew was awesome. I couldn't be touched when I was having a contraction. He was great about it. He's massage me or whatever between the contractions, but stop the minute one started. What a gem.

They start prepping me and by 8:30 I was numb from the waist down. I was hooked to new monitors, the shifts changed and we got a new nurse (LOVED HER) and they left Andrew and I in peace. It was quite a relief to no longer have the midwife and the nurse staring at me and the monitors. Since we did the pit, I am very happy I had the epi. I don't know how I would have made it through transition without it. (Well, I would have honestly been so horrible to everyone present....)

By 10:00 (yes, 1.5 hours later, NOT SEVEN!) I was 9 cm, by 10:30, I was 10. So that went quickly. I started pushing at 11:15 and Miss Lola Jayne Rollins was born at 12:28 am on Jan 11, 2009!! 7 pounds, 20 inches. It was the most amazing experience of my life. I think Andrew thought it was pretty cool too.

The proud daddy:

I had a 3rd degree partial tear.. all that translates to is OUCH! It took them about an hour to stitch me up, they had to out more in my epi. I still hurt. It bites. I think that laboring in water would have helped... plus, they told me not to push and I was like.. umm.. well, I didn't listen! (Maybe I should have?!)

She came out crying, all pink and perfect! While her labor wasn't at all what I'd imagined, her healthy entrance into the world is all that mattered. So I wouldn't change a moment of it for anything.

On Wednesday, the lactation consultant stopped by -- Lola was dropping lots of weight and SHE WASN'T POOPING! So that just put me into a whirlwind of stress. Our "technique" was fine, my milk just hadn't come in. It has since and she's eating (and pooping!!) like a champ and her weight has stabilized. So all is good there. Friday Lola had her first pediatrician appointment. She passed with flying colors. All is well.

Today is the day we were expecting her!! Actually, we were pretty darn sure that she was going to be at least a week late... I think we'd planned on going out for dinner if she wasn't here yet...

Wow, I can't believe it has only been one week! (Well 5 hours short of a week).

She's awesome.

Props to ~:Kellarazzi:~ for my fab siggy.

January 17th, 2009, 06:24 PM
MamaJaimi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mad, I know exactly what you mean about being watched. I HATE IT too. Well actually it doesn't bother me when DD watches me but everyone else, defintely! Thank goodness you got a better nurse for the final stages. I had a 3rd degree tear with DD too and you are right...ouch! I found that sitting on pillows, especially while BF helped a lot and tucks medicated pads for after I pee. It will get better though, I promise.

Lola Jayne is beautiful and I absolutely LOVE her name!!! Sounds like a movie star. Congratulations again!!!!

MAMA TO NATALIE (4) AND CHRISTIAN (1)

January 17th, 2009, 06:27 PM
4monkiesmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats! She's so pretty and healthy looking, and I love your spin on the birth story!!!!
January 21st, 2009, 04:40 AM
meg0109's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What an awesome story, Mad! Lola is so pretty and sweet looking!
January 23rd, 2009, 07:50 AM
wishfulgal
What an awesome story! Little Miss Lola looks like a keeper~ so pretty!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search