Our English Rose is here....

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2009, 03:48 PM
EnglishRose
Sorry for the delay, I've been running ragged since Eleanor was born. Here's her birth story.....

As some of you have probably read from a few of my posts, since 27 weeks we've had complications popping up in the pregnancy. I was put on bed rest and had two hospital stays, before she came out to greet the world. On Saturday, the 14th, I wasn't feeling very well. Very achy, tired, out of sorts and with flashes of more pain then normal going around my lower belly. My dh and dd went to work late that evening and were texting me to see how I was doing, when I my spotting came back and I passed a large clot. I started feeling nervous and my pain was becoming more pronounced, but I told my dh to finish up with the cleaning (I have a cleaning business) and then come home. I was laying on the bed, feeling very tired and uncomfortable when they arrived around 2:00 am Sunday morning.

Seeing how I was feeling and both of us becoming more concerned we called the OB's office and the on call doc said to head into L&D, as she wanted to know what was going on. We arrived around 3:00 am and they put us quickly into a room. Things moved pretty quick, with questions being asked, IV's getting started and then the lovely exam to check my cervix. I gripped my poor dh's hand hard and had tears in my eyes, because it was so painful. I didn't expect it to hurt so much. The nurse looked at me and said "Your 2cm dilated and 50% effaced". We were shocked and both of us became nervous.

Sounds silly, but I kept having the pains low in my belly and the nurse had to tell me they were contractions. I had never felt normal contractions before as my daughter Ash was induced. They started me on Magnesium Sulfate to stop the labor and I got to feel my body, begin to feel very strange. That is some nasty medicine, but I was hoping it would keep Eleanor in longer. They kept monitioring me and I lost track of actual time, when they checked my cervix again. I was now 3 to 4cm and still the 50% effaced. The dh and I became more nervous and we listened like crazy to Eleanor's heart beat, hoping all would be well.

With the growing concerns of pressure on my cervix, they inverted the bed with my head down low and propped up one hip with pillows, to ease pressure off of my uterus as well. So with medicine that made me feel not the greatest and then feeling like all the blood was going to come out of my brain and ears, things didn't seem to be going very well. They moved us to a larger birthing room and said we weren't going anywhere, until Eleanor was born. Right then, I didn't realize how soon her birth would be.

Its probably around 1:30 or so later in the afternoon now and when the nurse checked my cervix, after all they were doing, they found I was 5cm dilated and my cervix was thinning. Another nurse came in to check as well and she said it felt as if my "sac was bulging". They both looked at me and said "Sweetie, your having a c-section now". Oh my god, my eyes hurt as I held back tears, I started shivering, I was so nervous and my dh eyes glistened too. Our little one was coming and we had no idea how she would be, when she said "Hi".

I tell you, these ladies were great and I can say now, I was amazed at how fast everything was accomplished. The on call doc was racing in, dh was given protective gear to wear, I'm being asked questions and a bag of meds was gathered up, ready for delivery. The on call doc came in and told us what was happening...very nice woman, and then we were off to surgery.

Dh had to stay out while they got me set up and I was like a little child when they wheeled me in there and saw all the instruments. I was given an epidural and felt that strange not all the way there feeling as my belly shaved and scrubbed. The neonatal team arrived and were ready to go as the let my dh come sit at my head. The delivery was rough and the pressure was very intense. I didn't have pain, but it was close and they worked hard to bring Eleanor into the world. She was transverse and breech and my dh said if I could have seen what they were doing, I would have probably went into shock.

At 2:32pm on Feb 15th, a little princess came into the world. She was 3lb, 12ozs and almost 17 inches long. I cried because I never heard her cry, but dh said she was actually doing great. He got to see her and she was wide eyed looking around, as they checked her over. She scored an 8/9 on the APGAR scale and I finally saw this little bundle beside my face for a tiny bit of precious time, before they took her off to NICU.

Today:

Eleanor is fantastic. She has been on room air from birth. She was moved from Level III to Level II a few days ago and continues to do better every hour pretty much. She is now eating 25ml of breastmilk through a tube in her mouth, that goes into her stomach and having almost no residual. We are with her every day at different times and have been changing her diaper, feeding her and the dh and I both have cuddled her close. She is now off of IV's and all her food/fluid intake is coming from breastmilk.

I am pumping every 3 hours for her and my milk supply is doing pretty good. Lots of stress in the beginning, but I am getting better at it. I had to go to the ER and get checked out, early this morning. I'm having lots and LOTS of swelling from my thighs down to the top of my feet, but after doing u/s on both legs, they feel its normal from the c-section. I've gained weight after having her, because of the fluid I'm carrying, which just blows my mind. I'm hoping it goes down soon, because its very uncomfortable and difficult to walk at times.

Eleanor will be at least around 34 weeks before they let her try feeding with a nipple. Also the earliest she will come home is probably 36 weeks. Monday will be 33 weeks gestation. It all really depends but the doctors and nurses of NICU are very impressed with her and everyone seems to know who Eleanor is.

I hope this hasn't been too long or too boring, but I think it covers most of her birth. I can't describe all the emotions I've felt this week and how hard it was to come home without her. The dh and I both held each other and cried while looking at her pictures on the laptop. Staying away from her is tearing us apart inside, but we know she's in a great place and being treated like the princess she is.

We have lots of photos, but I am only putting up a couple right now. I will add a few more later on, its almost time for me to pump again.

February 21st, 2009, 03:53 PM
HailandNevansmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
awww what a lil sweetheart. congrats.

February 21st, 2009, 04:08 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Sweet pictures! I'm glad she is doing so well...I can't imagine how hard it is for her to not be home with you...((Hugs)) My T&P are with you

February 21st, 2009, 10:36 PM
cherry08's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She is so cute!!!! T&P's she is home with you soon

February 22nd, 2009, 12:59 AM
kristianna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
She looks lovely! Hope she's allowed to nurse normally soon and gets stronger and stronger.

Thank you Vicki for the BEEautiful siggie!

February 22nd, 2009, 02:23 AM
~* Helen *~'s Avatar A Prince And 2 Princess's
Aww congrats !! Hope you can nurse soon xx
February 22nd, 2009, 03:36 AM
*becky*'s Avatar Mommy to Bailey & Camryn
Thanks for sharing your story!! Eleanor is just precious!

I hope she continues to improve and gets to come home soon!!! And I hope your swelling goes away so YOU can feel better soon too!

February 22nd, 2009, 10:56 AM
JennLynn_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Adorable!!

Congratulations!

You had quite the Valentine's day weekend!

http://JenniferDow.SBC90.com
February 22nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
Veteran
Congrats on your baby girl! She sounds like a trooper!
February 22nd, 2009, 04:36 PM
Haltia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Haltia Send a message via MSN to Haltia
Congrats! shes so cute glad to hear your both doing good.
February 24th, 2009, 09:34 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Awww look at her!!! Was the plan always to have a c-section?

March 2nd, 2009, 02:50 AM
VeteranMom3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
congrats. she's amazing hope she'll be home soon

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search