Siera's Birth Story!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Fist Pumping Champ
(I figured I'd get the story out while it's still all fresh and while I'm waiting to go back to the hospital..)

I woke up at 9 a.m. to go use the bathroom and every thing was normal. I went back to bed and woke up at 9:45 because I felt like I had wet my pants. It wasn't a lot of fluid, just a few spots but it still had me a little worried because I've been able to control my bladder (for the most part) during the pregnancy. I went to the bathroom - not a lot of fluid came out so I thought it was urine. When I wiped, the TP came away very light pink. Definitely not a good sign in my case so I called my doctor. I tell the nurse that I woke up because I felt like I wet my pants and I was bleeding a little. She said to come into the office - NOT the hospital, mind you - and my doctor would take a look and let me know what was going on.

I was pretty calm throughout all of that but as soon as I called DH at work, I started bawling like a baby. I'm such a wuss As soon as I heard his voice, I started crying. I told him "Babe I need to go to the hospital" and I told him what happened. Do you know what? The night before, he had dreamed that I had gone into labor and had my baby girl. The FIRST time he's ever dreamt about the baby during the pregnancy. Weirdest thing.. Anyway, he calls his cousin to drive me to my doctor's office and he said he'll meet me there. His cousin picked me up at 10:15 and about 5-10 minutes after getting into the car, I started feeling crampy like I was having my period. A few blocks away from my DR's office, DH calls and goes, "Babe, I ran into your DR in the lobby and he said to go straight to the hospital. He doesn't know why they even sent you to the office." So we ended up picking DH up and driving to the hospital - only 10 minutes or so away from the office.

We get to the hospital and, while walking from the car to L&D, I'm feeling gushes of liquid in between my legs. That's when I was pretty sure that my water had broken. (By the way, I didn't do anything strenuous the night before - it was actually a pretty lazy night at home with DH, eating dinner and watching TV. I think I washed the dishes and that was the extent of my cleaning for the day.. ) Anyway, we rush upstairs to L&D and they send me to fill out registration forms - apparently the ones that I had filled out and mailed never made it into the computer. We fill out the paperwork and then the nurse at the desk tells me that I have to wait for a room because they were all BOOKED! ***! I go sit outside in the waiting room with DH and his cousin and, after about 5 minutes, I went to the bathroom to check up on things. The spotting went from light pink to a brighter red - but it wasn't a lot. I go back to the desk and tell the nurse "Listen, I know I'm here because I broke my water but I want to know if it's normal to bleed when your water breaks." So the nurse gets this freaky look in her eyes and I go to myself *OK, it's NOT normal to bleed when your water breaks* and they take me into the buttcrack of the hospital to a tiny examination room to get checked out. The room seriously was an office, the size of a closet, with a bed in it. Didn't really matter to me at that point, though, I just wanted to get checked out. The nurse brings DH in and she begins hooking me up to monitors for the baby's heart rate and for contractions.

Heart rate is looking good and the monitor isn't picking up any contractions, just the crampiness. She asks if I'm feeling contractions and I tell her that I really don't know what they feel like. The resident OB comes in and examines me with a sterile speculum. They didn't want to manually check my cervix because if my water HAD broken, they didn't want to increase any chances of infection in the cervix. (An infection could be one of the reasons why my water had broken but they still don't know why it happened.) So when they checked my cervix, a whole gush of liquid came out and I was 2 cm dilated. And the bleeding I was having was my bloody show. I thought that bloody show happens right before you deliver but apparently it can happen hours or days or weeks before. They tell me that they're going to hook me up to an IV, give me some antibiotics just in case of infection and give me a shot of steroids. They said they were going to slow down the contractions enough and give me two shots of steroids (they have to be given in 24 hours of each other so I was supposed to get one Wednesday afternoon and Thursday afternoon and they would've helped her lungs 48 hours after the first shot). My fluid level was looking good so they were hoping to keep me in there for 10 days - I was measuring at 32 weeks, 3 days and they wanted to keep me in the hospital until 34 weeks and then deliver me.

My mother shows up and it's three of us in this little closet of a room. The nurse kept promising me that they were waiting for an LDR for me but I didn't really care. It was kinda funny. The high-risk OB came in to talk to me and tell me what I was looking at if I ended up delivering a 32 week old baby. Everything would be developed but her lungs would be immature and he explained every possible situation and about her possible length-of-stay in the NICU. The longer she stayed inside me, the shorter the time in the NICU. Obviously.

At around 5 p.m., my OB shows up and says that he's on-call and he'll be at the hospital all night long which I was VERY happy about. Everything's pretty quiet.. We ate dinner and just hung out and laughed and joked (nervously, though). At around 6 p.m. I started feeling contractions. And OH BOY was I feeling contractions. In the beginning, it was light lower back pain which I thought was discomfort due to sitting in the stupid hospital bed. Then it was stronger back pain radiating to my hips. Then I felt it in my thighs. I kept calling the nurse to tell her they were getting more and more painful but she tells me, "The monitor isn't picking up anything strong.. It just seems like mild contractions." I wanted to hit her over the head with a bedpan when she said that. I told her that her monitor must not be in the right spot so she hung out until I got another contraction and she fiddled with the monitor. STILL, it only looked like mild contractions. So then I began freaking out - if those were mild, *** do STRONG contractions feel like?! I asked if they could give me something for the pain and she asked the DR - she comes back and says, "Sorry but the only way to know how intense they are is by your reaction." Like are you freaking kidding me?! So I ask her, "Are these DR's going to let me go the entire way without an epidural because there's no way in hell I can naturally deliver a child. I'm such a wuss. I cry when I get a splinter. SERIOUSLY!" She laughs and goes "Of course not!"

By 8 p.m. I could not get comfortable for my life. I kept ringing for the nurse and telling her something wasn't right. She kept coming back and checking the monitor and saying, "It doesn't look like strong contractions." I demanded to see my OB. He comes in while I'm tossing and turning on the table, sweating bullets, screaming at my parents and DH, etc. He tells me that he's going to manually check my cervix. OH. MY. GOD. That was THE SINGLE MOST PAINFUL THING I ever experienced in my life. I kept arching off the table and screaming bloody murder and he had the nerve to get annoyed and tell me to settle down. If I wasn't in so much pain I would've jumped off the table and shoved a speculum up his where-the-sun-doesn't-shine. So after what seemed like FOREVER of him checking me, he sits back and goes, "You're only 3 centimeters dilated. You need to relax." I told him, "Fine. I'm going home and I'm going to relax there since I'm only 3 centimeters." And he just gave me a dirty look and left the room.

After he walked out, the head neonatologist in the NICU came down to speak to me and while she was talking I got such a sensation of needing to pee or needing to push. I didn't know what I needed. I couldn't even concentrate on what she was saying because I was in so much pain. The contractions were right on top of each other at that point and I just wanted everyone to shut up and leave me alone. I was even ready to kill my mother who felt the need to keep reminding me that it's a normal part of pregnancy and she knew what I was going through and I put her through 26 hours of labor, etc. So in the middle of the neonatologist's talk, I began screaming for the bedpan and saying that I needed to pee but nothing was coming out. So I told them instead that I was going to push. My OB runs back in and once again checks me. This time it wasn't that painful but it was because I was fully dilated. I went from 3 cm to 10 cm dilated within an hour. And they didn't even have a delivery room free for me. A nurse runs in with an U/S machine to quickly check her position and THANK GOD she was head down and ready to go.

They wheeled me off into an available operating room and we were told that I could only have one extra person in there instead of two. DH kept trying to send my mother in with me but I screamed for him to shut up and get dressed. I've never seen a man jump into scrubs so quickly! I was wheeled into the operating room at 9 p.m. and, five minutes and three pushes later, little Siera screamed her way into the world. She weighed in at 3 pounds, 12 ounces and was 16.5 inches long. She has a full head of dark hair and the cutest 10 fingers and 10 toes I've ever seen. She was breathing on her own and I got to hold her for a few minutes before they took her up to the NICU. I had a first degree tear but it wasn't that bad. DH did awesomely for someone who was terrified of even being in the room with me. He was such an amazing coach!

I had to hang out in the operating room for close to an hour after I delivered because there weren't any recovery rooms available. Must have been a full moon that night because EVERYONE was going into labor. Later that night, I went to see my baby girl and she was intubated to help with her oxygen because she was breathing quickly. They gave her some steroids via her breathing tube to help her lungs mature and they were debating a second shot for today. They put her under the lights because she was a little jaundiced but she's stable and seems to be doing well.

I've been attempting to pump like a maniac and was so excited to manage to squeeze out a few drops of colostrum for her this morning. I ran the bottle down to the NICU and the nurse was so sweet - she had to take the drops out with a syringe because it was such a small amount and she gave it to her. Siera also lovessss her pacifier. She kept trying to suck on her small feeding tube until the nurse finally gave her a pacifier. And last night, they put her IV tube into the belly button/leftover umbilical cord - I was assured she doesn't feel it but I still cried (as I do every time I see her little body surrounded by those big machines). They can't give me an estimate on how long she'll be in there - it all depends on her oxygen levels and when she starts to feed on her own. They did tell me that when she does come home, she'll be coming home with a breathing monitor which I'm TERRIFIED about! I'm scared enough as it is with just a newborn, forget one that comes with a machine!

I was discharged this afternoon and I cried the entire ride home from the hospital. It's just not right to me that I have to go home while my baby has to stay there alone. But they promised me that everything would be OK and I'm placing my faith in them and in God that my little angel will continue to grow and come home to mommy and daddy when she's ready to.

May 2013 - Ectopic pregnancy
July 2014 - Miscarriage

February 27th, 2009, 04:58 PM
katidid622's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awwww....congrats! Sounds like you had quite an adventure! I am happy to hear that you both are doing well. She'll be home in no time. Rest up while you can! KUP on how she's doing.....I can't wait to see pictures!!! When was your due date?

Do you LIKE JustMommies? Help us get to 5,000 fans!
February 27th, 2009, 06:55 PM
*Anna*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What an amazing story! I'm praying for Sierra and hope she grows and eats so she can go home with you and her Daddy.

Thanks for sharing your story with us and keep us posted!

Do you have any pics yet?
February 27th, 2009, 07:10 PM
cherry08's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow what a story! It gives me hope (I am a huge wimp for pain) since you sounded like you really handled it well considering how fast everything moved along. I am glad you are ok and really hope Siera gets to come home as soon as possible.

February 27th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow what a story. Sorry you are also going through the NICU experience I know first hand how hard it is. My boys are still in the NICU and its been 3 weeks. My best advice is just try and take it day by day as some will be great and some will be bad.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my wonderful Siggy!
February 28th, 2009, 07:44 AM
*becky*'s Avatar Mommy to Bailey & Camryn
Wow, Dina - what a story!!! I'm sure it was a whirlwind for you!!

I'm glad everything went ok (despite wanting to kill the nurse and your mom)

I will pray that Siera makes a speedy recovery is able to go home with you soon!!

Get rest and enjoy your daughter!!!

February 28th, 2009, 09:16 AM
kristianna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, what an ordeal. I'm glad to hear that you're doing ok. I'll be praying that little Siera gets to come home soon! Would love to see some pictures!

Thank you Vicki for the BEEautiful siggie!

February 28th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Josey's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Josey
Congratulations!! You have quite a story to tell her when she grows up!! I hope her stay in the NICU is quick and she gets to go home to you soon!!

Thanks to ~* Helen *~ for my beautiful siggy!
February 28th, 2009, 04:37 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
My bloody show with Courtney was Monday-Wednesday, she was born Saturday.

I love it when nurses tell you about what your body is doing or how you are. When I went into the hospital with Courtney they said "Oh, you must not want drugs because you have a high pain tolerance." Just because I was 8cm dialated when I showed up didn't mean anything about my pain tolerance, I was just a newbie to the labor thing and didn't know that I was that far along!

So how bad was the pain during the tear and the pushing? I've experienced the rest of labor without the epi, but not that part, and I'm terrified!!!

February 28th, 2009, 05:52 PM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dina, it sounds like such a whirlwind of a day and delivery...thank you for sharing your story. I am sure you were shocked when your water broke...how scary! Then to have the doctors and nurses not believe you with the contractions... I am sorry you had to go thru that whole ordeal. Siera is BEAUTIFUL!!! One lucky baby to have such a strong mama like you. I hope she grows quickly and her breathing continues to progress and soon she'll be home with you and your hubby!
February 28th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Fist Pumping Champ
The pain during the tear and the pushing... I don't want to scare anyone but it HURTS! At that point I didn't really care because the contractions were just on top of each other and all you feel is pain anyway - it doesn't matter where it's coming from. Pushing her head out hurt like a MOFO! You feel such an intense pressure and it burns and it hurts and you're just pushing and pushing until you feel her head give way - it's the greatest feeling ever feeling that head pop out

I didn't feel myself tear really.. But I felt them giving me the stitches afterwards. They numbed me but it was obvious what they were doing and while I didn't feel the pain I still FELT what they were doing. But it really doesn't hurt afterwards - they give you ice packs (I kept ringing the nurse every two hours for ice packs because they were just amazing) and the little plastic squeegie bottles they give you for the bathroom are GREAT! I was able to go to the bathroom right after they brought me into recovery - it stings a little bit but nothing major. They gave me a stool softener and I was able to have bowel movements with no problem. (Sorry for the TMI...) I don't feel any pain really afterwards.. just soreness and crampiness. They gave me Motrin for the crampiness and that helped. And when I went home, they gave me a cooling spray and witch hazel pads. All in all, I think the contractions hurt more than anything but maybe that's because she popped out so easily.

May 2013 - Ectopic pregnancy
July 2014 - Miscarriage

February 28th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Ana*Addey*OliveMommy
Congrats Dina! What a great story! I have been following you since you posted in the Married Life forum about having your little girl. Congrats again!!

Do not mention on FB
February 28th, 2009, 11:24 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Quote:
The pain during the tear and the pushing... I don't want to scare anyone but it HURTS! At that point I didn't really care because the contractions were just on top of each other and all you feel is pain anyway - it doesn't matter where it's coming from. Pushing her head out hurt like a MOFO! You feel such an intense pressure and it burns and it hurts and you're just pushing and pushing until you feel her head give way - it's the greatest feeling ever feeling that head pop out

I didn't feel myself tear really.. But I felt them giving me the stitches afterwards. They numbed me but it was obvious what they were doing and while I didn't feel the pain I still FELT what they were doing. But it really doesn't hurt afterwards - they give you ice packs (I kept ringing the nurse every two hours for ice packs because they were just amazing) and the little plastic squeegie bottles they give you for the bathroom are GREAT! I was able to go to the bathroom right after they brought me into recovery - it stings a little bit but nothing major. They gave me a stool softener and I was able to have bowel movements with no problem. (Sorry for the TMI...) I don't feel any pain really afterwards.. just soreness and crampiness. They gave me Motrin for the crampiness and that helped. And when I went home, they gave me a cooling spray and witch hazel pads. All in all, I think the contractions hurt more than anything but maybe that's because she popped out so easily.[/b]
Yeah, I've heard the burning called "the ring of fire" before. And my mother has told me it's the greatest feeling ever when it is over. She was like "You've never expereinced that?" And I've always been like "Well with Rock I couldn't feel at all. And with Courtney I could feel, but it wasn't anything like what you're describing."

I hate WATCHING them stitch you. I do my best to look anywhere else, but it is so hard. The ice packs I know about, cuz I've felt the afterwards, the pain comes even if you've had pain meds, lol.

I've never had a bm issue after birth either...I actually (TMI) normally don't have to go for the first few days, and when I first have to, I do.

The contractions though I've done...it's just the pushing and tearing I had the epi for both times, well I didn't tear with Rock, he cut me to speed it along, and actually healing was quicker, which I know is the opposite of how it is supposed to be, but I think it is cuz I tore more than he cut, not cuz it was a cut vs. a tear.

March 1st, 2009, 09:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Gosh it sounds like she just busted out of you, which is how I want my delivery to be aside from the incompetence of the hospital staff. Glad to hear she is doing well.

March 2nd, 2009, 03:48 AM
VeteranMom3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
congratulations! wow what a story! i hope you and your babygirl are doing well!!

March 2nd, 2009, 09:25 PM
rnholly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a story!! But glad Siera is here and continuing to do better!!
March 3rd, 2009, 01:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Your story made me laugh, at how you cry with a splinter!. I´m glad little Siera is OK (apart from the issues you mentionned in your other post). I kepp you and your family in my thoughts, and if you get chance, post us some more pictures!

March 3rd, 2009, 10:31 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
So you did have her naturally! Good for you hun! I know it wasn't what you had originally wanted (I can't believe they didn't take you seriously when you told them how intense your contractions where)...but you did it!

Congratulations on you your sweet baby girl! KUP on how she's progressing

March 4th, 2009, 06:50 AM
suusssannn's Avatar funky monkey
Popping in from Sept DDC... what an awesome birth story you have! With my second, they truly did not believe I was in labor... was only 3 cm when we got there, and I even told my hubby that if they try to send me home, we're sitting in the lobby, LOL- an hour later, I was ready to go, 10 cm 100% efaced... they couldn't believe it! But before the nurse checked me she said "you're most likely going home, you're contractions are too spaced out". We sure do know our bodies huh? I'm glad your labor and delivery were quick though! And Congrats on your new baby... I hope she does well at the hospital, and is able to join you all at home real soon!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

March 7th, 2009, 08:54 PM
EnglishRose
Congratulations on the birth of your wee one. I hope her stay in NICU is a short one.

Last edited by EnglishRose; March 7th, 2009 at 08:55 PM. Reason: I'm a moron. LOL!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search