Log In Sign Up

Preston has arrived!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 9th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Mommy2PrestonandGavin's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,132
I woke up the morning of March 1 and made breakfast like every other morning. As the day went on I started feeling more and more strange and I was shocked when I took my blood pressure and it was 190/135. I called my doctor and went straight to the hospital where I had planned to deliver Preston when it was time. They gave me several blood pressure medications and IV fluids which did nothing to help my pressure decrease.

Monday morning it was decided I would be transferred to University Hospital in Cleveland, which is an enourmous hospital that is also connected to Rainbow's Babies and Childrens hospital where they have the best NICU in the area. I was transported by ambulance which was kinda fun and was told upon getting to University Hospital that my labor would be induced because I had severe preeclampsia and left untreated neither Preston nor myself would make it. On Monday afternoon at 1:30 p.m. they put a medicine called Cervadil behind my cervix to try and induce my labor. The actual act of inserting the medicine and subsequent cervix checks was more painful than anything I experienced in the past week. Twelve hours went by with no change so they took out Cervadil #1 and inserted #2 and eventually #3. I was told to expect an emergency c-section on Wednesday because my labor was not progressing at all. In the meantime I was put on complete bedrest and started on a magnesium sulfate IV, which made me totally groggy, weak and disoriented. They also gave me 2 separate steroid shots within 24 hours so that Preston's lungs would be developed. My vital signs were checked every hour and my blood was drawn every 6 hours to make sure things looked okay.

I woke up Wednesday morning and was told that I was dilated 1 1/2 cm. The doctor came in and broke my water and literally within minutes I was feeling very painful contractions. The anesthesiologist came in and gave me an epidural and my husband and I both fell asleep for a little while. I woke up around 10:00 a.m. and felt an overwhelming urge to push. I kept yelling at the nurse to get a doctor in the room because I had to push. She grabbed a midwife who realized that Preston had dropped and his head was right there!

The plan had been to take me into an OR room since there would be more room and they did not really know what to expect from Preston. They kept telling me not to push but it hurt so much that I tried my best not to but kinda did anyway. That was the point at which I think I almost ripped my poor DH's arm off! I finally just could not keep from pushing anymore and they called a code! They dropped the end of my bed, a huge team of people ran into my room and I pushed my little man out within 5 minutes! I had already been warned that he would have a team of 5 people working on him and so I was not surprised. I've never in my life heard a more beautiful sound than the first cries of my baby boy!!! They put him on my chest and allowed me to hold him for a minute or two before he was taken to the NICU.

I had to stay on complete bedrest for 24 hours after Preston was born and so I couldn't go see him in the NICU until Thursday evening.
Fortunately, the steroid shots worked and Preston has been breathing room air since he was born! They had him on lipids through his IV at first, which they explained to me was basically fat. I started pumping breastmilk right away and my milk came in Friday morning. They started feeding him through a bottle and advancing the amount as he tolerated it. By Sunday morning he was throwing full out screaming fits because he was eating what they gave him and still wanting more! They called me this morning and told me that the milk I had dropped off yesterday (8 ounces) he had drank within 12 hours! He has been under lights because he is a little jaundiced but that is not uncommon even in fullterm babies. Preston was transferred from the NICU onto a stepdown unit on Sunday and he is doing great!

My blood pressure is still pretty high, even though they have me on 3 types of heart medications. They say time will help bring it down. I've still been very tired and kinda feeling crappy so honestly I'm glad that they are taking care of my little man until I feel well enough to do so myself. We feel very blessed that things turned out so well


Thanks Katidid622 for my adorable siggy!

Reply With Quote
March 9th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Fist Pumping Champ
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 9,803
Wow Congratulations!! Geez, do I know about that overwhelming need to push...

May 2013 - Ectopic pregnancy
July 2014 - Miscarriage

Reply With Quote
March 9th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Posts: n/a
Many congratulations on your lil Boy!! He is sure a cutie. You take care of yourself and I hope everything gets back to normal soon. Thank you for sharing your story.
Reply With Quote
March 10th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Granada, Spain
Posts: 5,533
Im glad all is well and that little Preston likes his food!!

Reply With Quote
March 10th, 2009, 09:09 AM
*becky*'s Avatar Mommy to Bailey & Camryn
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kansas City Metro
Posts: 6,294
Thanks for sharing your story!! I'm so glad that Preston is doing so well - he's a cutie!!

Take care of yourself...I know how hard that is!

Reply With Quote
March 12th, 2009, 12:33 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Eagle, Idaho
Posts: 60,398
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
How neat that you were able to rest for some of the labor. But it must all have been a little scarry. I'm glad he's here now and hope ya'll are doing well.

Reply With Quote
March 12th, 2009, 11:21 PM
VeteranMom3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,013
congrats! he's precious and what a little fighter! glad you can get some rest sweet. good luch with your blood pressure going down.

Last edited by VeteranMom3; March 12th, 2009 at 11:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
March 16th, 2009, 03:24 PM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7,211
He is so precious! Thank you for sharing your story!!!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0