James Lightning Jay's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2009, 12:45 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
My little tiny man is here. I know 8lbs 3oz sounds big to a lot of people who've had little 6lbers (or smaller), but 8lbs 3oz still looks so small! I can't believe he's bigger than either of his siblings!

I am sort of mentally having a harder time disassociating him from Rock than one would expect. Like he's a boy so I want to call him Rock for some reason. He was born at 38 weeks and 5 days so 9 days earlier than Rock and Courtney and bigger than both of them (7lbs 7oz and 8lbs 0oz).

I went into the hospital yesterday because my aunt (a doctor) made me think I might be leaking fluid slowly. However, I drove myself and wasn't expecting to stay really. They did a test to see if my water broke and she immediatly said it had.

So that's when I texted people and started making plans to stay there.

However, the doctor wanted a different test done and now after the nurse has told me my water's broken and some time has passed and people are already getting things together they tell me "Nope."

I burst into tears because I was totally mentally able to handle going back home when I came in, but as soon as they said my water broke I was excited to meet my baby. I finally just said I couldn't do it, I couldn't go home without my baby they had to induce me.

So at about 4 they started me on pitocin. I had already been at the hospital for about 3 hours then, but not in labor, but hooked to the monitor in the bed and uncomfortable (cuz I was obviously contracting, cuz I'm always contracting...). So I wasn't loving the whole situation anyway, and as long as you are on the pitocin you have to be hooked to the monitor for the baby, so I was confined to the area of the bed at least at that point.

Progress was slow at first cuz he was mainly just getting lower and until he did get lower he wouldn't put the pressure on my cervix so it would be slow.

At like 6pm my doctor showed up and broke my water. That helped things along, but he still wouldn't get as low as they'd like for a long while so I was at 5cm for like a long while.

Finally at sometime near 10pm or so the doctor checked me and I was 7cm and 90% effaced. They had, had the pit off for a while and were gunna turn it up cuz I just wasn't progressing enough. But first they thought they'd try a few other positions. So I rolled onto my side because the standing and things that normally worked hadn't been doing it.

My side would normally be my comfort position so I was happy with that. I rolled over right after a contraction so I had a minute to contimplate the situation at that point and I thought to myself "This is most likely the last minute you can ask for an epidurl Christen, you sure about this?" And I kinda mumbled to dh something about it, but he didn't hear me really because my pain coping technique is to be fairly inward so it really was just a mumble. And then the contraction started and I seriously felt like I was going to die and I needed to poop right afterwards, and I knew that was what they said needing to push would feel like, and I remember the feeling of Rock being in my butt (even though I had the epi with him), but I didn't tell the nurse exactly that because I had been 7cm like a second earlier and knew it just didn't make sense that I could be needing to push now.

I did tell the nurse there was no way I could be on my side anymore the pain was so much worse, and she told me I should stay on my side because obviously that was doing the job (since the pain was so bad) and almost immediatly I went into another and thank God shorter contraction and this time I told dh I feel like I'm going to poop.

He told the nurse she checked me and sure enough in the one contraction that had hurt so bad I had gone from 7 and 90% to totally dialated and effaced.

So they started changing the bed and let me back onto my bed and the doc walked back into the room and then they told me if I felt like I needed to push, push. So I pushed for two maybe 3 contractions, and his head was out and then his little body and dh came up and quietly and happily said "It's a boy."

It was longer with him than with Rock or Courtney before they plopped my slimly little guy on me, and I was in a position where I couldn't see him at all until they did, so I just kept thinking I wanted to see him. But I didn't really think anything about him being a boy. I felt totally neutral about it, like "Oh, well it's a boy." Not like amazed or disapointed or happy, just like blah. I think the blah came from the not being done still. I knew I had to finish the placenta part and I didn't know if I had torn or anything, and I was tired, so I was just like "Oh good, boy. Now can I see him already?"

They put him up on me and then they delivered the placenta which I was glad was fast, but surpised it did actually hurt to push it out a little bit, I mean I figured after all that work to get him out the placenta would have been like "Whatever." but I did totally notice I had to do something.

She said I had a minor tear, so they stitched that up. She said it was tiny, but I felt like she stitched longer than tiny, but whatever, lol.

And for the most part I'd honestly say the worst part pain wise was that one contraction where I went from 7 to 10cm. The pushing was not worse. And incase anybody tries to tell you that even if you get an epidurl that doesn't work it is still less painful than NCB I say b.s. Rock's delivery was soooooooooooooooo much worse than this one. So really it is individual and I've always been so ticked off by all the people who have NCB and make it sound like people who don't are like lesser people or something, so I just want to make it clear that just cuz I did it without the epi this time doesn't mean I think people who do it with the epi or end up with a c-section have somehow gone through less than I have.

What was exciting was that I was able to get up and go pee right afterwards where as with Rock I couldn't feel my freakin' foot for a long time and was bed bound. And seriously that bed was the most evil thing ever. My but and legs hurt so bad from just sitting in it I wanted to cry.

I had heard before I had Rock that the afterpains get worse with each child. I didn't really feel it was all that true with Rock...it is so way true this time. When my little James Lightning Jay (yeah that's what the L.J. stands for ) breastfeeds I seriously want to cry from how bad the cramps are. And it kinda makes me laugh because I just made it through labor without asking for meds, but I can't make it through breastfeeding, lol.

He's kind of a punk so far. He won't wake up to breastfeed. Like for the most part once he's woken up to do it, it goes pretty well. But I seriously spend like 1/2 an hour waking him up to do it, and then it is still a fight until he gets latched on. It's crazy. He's a sleepy kid. They tell me when he's over 24 hours old it won't be like that, but so far I'm just like "You are very sleepy little man!"

Anyway, this may be kinda sparatic, but that's my story...

Later taters

March 22nd, 2009, 01:13 PM
Stephanee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
congrats girl!!!!!!!!

you did great.. and im so happy the experience went great!

March 22nd, 2009, 01:14 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Yay! You did it! Congrats on your NCB! I can't wait to see pictures!

March 22nd, 2009, 01:28 PM
natejanis's Avatar Veteran
Woohooo, congrats....going Al Natural isnt that bad at all to me either.

Madelynn
March 22nd, 2009, 01:37 PM
mama2aredhead2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mama2aredhead2
Congrats!! Glad all went well!

Thanks SandKmommy for my siggy!

March 22nd, 2009, 01:55 PM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so happy that he's finally here! I'm so jealous and it makes me even more anxious to meet my little guy!

[
March 22nd, 2009, 02:01 PM
*becky*'s Avatar Mommy to Bailey & Camryn
Congrats!!!! I'm so glad everything turned out so well!! I can't wait to see pics!!

March 22nd, 2009, 02:37 PM
katidid622's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats Christen! I cant wait to see pics!!!

Do you LIKE JustMommies? Help us get to 5,000 fans!
March 22nd, 2009, 02:53 PM
cherry08's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!! So happy for you and sounds like you did a great job

March 22nd, 2009, 03:49 PM
Veteran
Congrats to you! I'm glad everything went well for you. This is going to be my third as well and you've scared me a little on the afterpains subject! I have never heard it was worse each time. I hope you recover quickly! Can't wait to see some pics!
March 22nd, 2009, 10:12 PM
Fist Pumping Champ
Congratulations Christen! I can't believe he's finally here!

May 2013 - Ectopic pregnancy
July 2014 - Miscarriage

March 22nd, 2009, 10:16 PM
kittywompas's Avatar Veteran
Thats great that they decided to let you stay after telling you yes your water broke, wait NO nevermind... it sounds like with his weight he was a very good size to come out. He may have been over 9 if you let him go another week! Congrats with the NCB

Thank you so much Brandi84 for my cute new siggy!
March 22nd, 2009, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftsfromGod View Post
I'm so happy that he's finally here! I'm so jealous and it makes me even more anxious to meet my little guy!
Thanks, I really hope you're like next because I know you've been experiencing enough of the fun pre-labor junk that you deserve to get it over with!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRae View Post
Congrats to you! I'm glad everything went well for you. This is going to be my third as well and you've scared me a little on the afterpains subject! I have never heard it was worse each time. I hope you recover quickly! Can't wait to see some pics!
Well I hope it isn't too bad for you. It is mainly only when I need to pee or when I'm bf'ing that it hurts, so it isn't like all the time. And the fatigue probably has to do with part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywompas View Post
Thats great that they decided to let you stay after telling you yes your water broke, wait NO nevermind... it sounds like with his weight he was a very good size to come out. He may have been over 9 if you let him go another week! Congrats with the NCB
Yeah no joke, I'm glad I got induced when I did because he could have been HUGE!

And thank you to the rest of you ladies too. I can't wait to be able to post pics...I miss siggies already, lol.

March 22nd, 2009, 11:34 PM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awww Christen, thank you for sharing your story!!! It sounds like you did an awesome job...can't believe you went from 7 to 10 in one contx...must have been one heck of a contrx!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!
March 23rd, 2009, 02:50 AM
Brenda04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing your story, congratulations can't wait to see pics

March 23rd, 2009, 06:24 AM
MySweetBabyRay11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MySweetBabyRay11
Christen, Sounds like you did a great job!!! Congratulations

Thanks Bonnie for my wonderful siggy

March 23rd, 2009, 06:37 AM
lindsayb63's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing! I want to go drug-free and this was a great motivation story!

March 24th, 2009, 03:13 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Congrats, and great story.

One question: Is your last name Jay or does he have two middle names?
March 25th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sladybug View Post
Awww Christen, thank you for sharing your story!!! It sounds like you did an awesome job...can't believe you went from 7 to 10 in one contx...must have been one heck of a contrx!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Yeah it really was, ouch! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsayb63 View Post
Thanks for sharing! I want to go drug-free and this was a great motivation story!
GL! It is a neat experience knowing you've done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
Congrats, and great story.

One question: Is your last name Jay or does he have two middle names?
Our last name is Rowles

Our older ds is Rock N Rowles...it is said Rolls

April 4th, 2009, 08:49 AM
maryslittlelambs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for sharing! Such a great story!

Thank you *kiliki* for the beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search