Adrian's Birth Story - PM me for cord picture

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2009, 02:26 AM
ForestJenn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I always knew that there was a good chance that I'd be giving birth via c-section. I have a large fibroid that could have prevented our little guy from moving down the birth canal so they were checking that carefully at our monthly ultrasounds. At 33 weeks it looked like I'd get a vaginal birth because he'd flipped down and moved past the fibroid. Then at 37 weeks he'd flipped back around and pretty much stayed in one position with his head just under my right breast. (I looked a little lopsided from that point on.) My OB said that we'd go ahead and schedule a c-section for 39 weeks but that we could do an ultrasound just prior and induce if he flipped. I spent the next 2 weeks hoping that he'd decide to wok with gravity again.

The day of my c-section he was still breech, so into the operating room we went. The whole thing was better and worse than I expected. The spinal was a misery, but short and totally worth it! I couldn't feel any pain at all. I did feel some discomfort during the procedure because my BP kept going up and down but my anesthesiologist was on top of it the whole time so any discomfort was short lived. There was a certain amount of pressure, but it wasn't the misery that everyone told me to expect. My husband stood up to watch...initially I didn't want that but in the moment I wanted him to be able to see the birth of his son. In retrospect, I'm so happy he had that. He got to see the water break (exciting he said) and then watched as a little foot popped out. He fretted when he saw Adrian come sliding out with the cord wrapped around him twice...but he was stoic and didn't tell me that thank goodness. The next thing I know, there's a tiny little cry and I realize that they've rushed him over to clean him up and weigh him. Somewhere in all that, my OB tells me that she's so relieved that we had to do the c-section because not only was the cord wrapped around him twice, but there was a true knot as well. She made Jonathan take a picture. If anyone wants to see that, let me know...I haven't posted it because there's a pretty gory shot of my incision in the shot. I'm glad we have that. It's pretty amazing actually.

Things are pretty muddled after that. I'm not sure in what order things happened. I got to see Jonathan trim the cord. Jonathan came over and gave me a big kiss. I got to give the baby a kiss. They weighed him (7 lbs 15 oz...not the huge baby we were expecting at all!) and Jonathan followed him to the recovery room. They got me moved to the stretcher and took me to recovery where I finally got to hold my son. All in all I'm happy with the way things worked out. Everything happened just as it should have.

I spent 48 hours in the hospital and they let me go home. My doctor initially wanted me to stay until the next day, but Adrian was feeding well and she knew that Jonathan would be ok watching me. My pain levels were tolerable...although the third day was the worst and part of me wishes that I'd stayed in the hospital. I just couldn't bear to spend another night there.

Loving every minute of being a mommy!

Last edited by ForestJenn; March 29th, 2009 at 11:38 PM. Reason: To remove picture warning
March 29th, 2009, 09:29 AM
*becky*'s Avatar Mommy to Bailey & Camryn
Congrats hon, I'm so happy for you and your new family!!

It sounds like the c-section was a godsend!! I can't wait to see pics of your little man!

March 29th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Super Mommy
CONGRATS!! I will be having my 2nd c-section on the 22nd of April and hoping it works out as well...me too didn't feel any pain whatsoever with the spinal block but I had so much excess fluid that the Dr' couldn't find the proper spot and took over 45 minutes since he had to call the 2nd Dr to find it...ughhh...OMG....talk about having things work out they way they did for you and with the the knot in the cord...HOW SCARY!! I hope you rest well...believe it or not it's a good 10 days before the swelling is gone and a good 4 weeks before you start going about your reg routine! Post pics!!
March 29th, 2009, 04:44 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I want to see the pic!

March 29th, 2009, 11:20 PM
ForestJenn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had posted the picture here, but I know that it will make some people uncomfortable and I hate graphic shots when reading a thread. So PM me if you want to see a picture of the cord.

Loving every minute of being a mommy!

Last edited by ForestJenn; March 29th, 2009 at 11:39 PM. Reason: To remove cord picture
March 30th, 2009, 05:40 PM
danniegirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am glad everything went fine. When I had DD she had a true knot as well.

March 31st, 2009, 06:07 AM
cherry08's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is scary about the cord but I am glad that everything worked out well and so happy for you and your family He is a cutie!!!

April 4th, 2009, 07:46 AM
maryslittlelambs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great story and such a happy ending! Congrats!

Thank you *kiliki* for the beautiful siggy!

April 6th, 2009, 01:39 PM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am glad that things worked out as well as they did!!! It was really lucky that you had the c-section when you did and that the cord wasn't an issue! Congratulations again!!!
June 7th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Super Mommy
Aww! I'm glad things worked out for ya. My friend had a C-section too, but her baby was a giant. Almost 10lbs! She said the recovery was awful.

Thank you benevolent for my adorable siggy =]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search