James' Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2009, 07:30 AM
GiftsfromGod's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, our day started out bright an early. We were scheduled to be at the hospital at 6:30am and we live ˝ hr away. Will was still sleeping in his crib when we left (my sister was there to watch him) and I almost started crying when I looked in on him sleeping before we left because realizing that he’s not going to be my little baby anymore. We got to the hospital and got all checked in and settled in the room. Around 7:30is the doctor came and did the u/s and James was still breech/transverse. He tried turning him without giving me the terbulaine to relax the uterus but it kept contracting. Because they were going to induce right away after he wanted to avoid the relaxant because it counteracts trying to get the body going into labor. They gave me the terb to relax and the doctor was able to get him flipped around quite easily. Once again (like last week) the pain was not bad at all. The worst part of it this week is that the doctor that did it this week stab into my stomach a little with is fingernails. The actual version was not bad at all and I would highly recommend it to anyone with a breech/transverse baby before automatically having a csection.

The doctor tried breaking my water after the procedure. He didn’t get the “gush” he was hoping for but was pretty sure he had snagged the sack. They started me on pitocin right away to get contractions started and try to get the head down into the pelvis. I could not get out of bed because since they head was still not firm against the cervix and they had just done the version there was a concern about a prolapsed. The doctor told me I was still at a 3 which was where I was last week at my first version. So I got as comfy as possible in the bed and waited for the contractions to start. After about 1 ˝ hours I had had some small gushes of fluid during contractions so we knew then that my water had been broken but the baby’s head was still not engaging. I had to use a bed pan several times during the morning because they wouldn’t let me get up until his head engaged. Let’s just say bedpans are not really my thing!

Around 11am 3 hours after the procedure and the start of pit I was still at a 3 and the nurse wasn’t sure she could feel the baby’s head anymore. She pulled the u/s machine in and took a look and it looked like the baby had turned slightly and his neck was coming down first instead of the head! She turned off my pit and went to call the doctor to come have a look. She came back in after calling the doctor and said he would be here in a little while and told us she was going to talk us through what to expect with a csection birth “just in case” but the way she made it sound was more like “this is what will happen” She described in detail how I would be taken to the operating room and prepped and the Scott allowed in, the procedures for anthestics, what happens after the baby is born and the recovery later that day and the rest of the stay at the hospital. It was a pretty detailed talk that lasted for about ˝ hr. I was almost in tears the whole time because of all we had gone through trying to get this kid to come out the right way and I really did not want a csection. She even went as far in this talk to ask if I wanted to have my tubes tied! DH about fell off his chair (literally) when she asked that.

Anyway after that whole ordeal the doctor came in and did another u/s and the head was down. DH and I both agree that it really did look like the neck was coming down in the first u/s the nurse did and I think that the little stinker just wanted to get one more trick in on us before getting serious about coming out. The doctor wanted to attach an internal monitoring probe because he said it can serve as an anchor to help to keep the baby’s head down. I was not thrilled about this but figured it was better than a csection and after the scare the nurse had just put me through I was willing to give it a try. The doctor had to try twice so when my little guy was born he had two little poke marks on his head. DH didn’t realize at first that they actually poke it into the baby’s head. It wasn’t until after the procedure was done that he figured it out and was rather disturbed that they had just poked his baby in the head. In the end everything turned out fine and there were not complications because of it.

So after that they had to gradually start the pit back since the nurse had turned it off earlier and they can’t just start at the same level that they had been working up to for several hours. Finally around a little after 2 I had three big gushes of fluid with three contractions and knew that my water had finally really broke and hoped that the baby’s head would engage then. The contractions because much more painful at that point. The nurse checked me at 3 and said that the head was finally pressing against the cervix and I was allowed to get out of bed to go to the bathroom (the first time I had been up since 7am). At this point I was in quite a bit of pain both from the contractions and back pain partially from labor and partially from laying in bed all day. I was only at a 4 after being on pit since 8am. The doctor came in and checked on me and was wondering why I was still there because he thought I would have gone much quicker. This labor was really beginning to look more and more like my labor with DS and I finally decided to get the epidural because that is what finally allowed my body to relax enough for labor to progress with my first labor so I figured it was worth the try again this time.

The epidural was administered around 4pm. There was a spot on the lower left hand side of my uterus that didn’t numb completely and I would still get a stabbing pain with the contractions but it made the pain very bearable and I was able to relax completely between contractions. Within a ˝ hour of getting the epi I started dilating more. A little after 5 the nurse came in and told me I needed to try laying on my other side because the baby’s heartrate kept dropping into the 60’s and 70’s during contractions. They put me on oxygen for awhile and started monitoring me carefully. She even had her hand in me pushing up on the baby’s head during a couple of contractions to see if there was pressure on the cord causing the drop. Once again csection was mentioned. They were afraid that with the versions and all the flipping he’d done that his cord was around his neck or pinched. After about ˝ hr of this and me being constantly worried about the baby the heartrate stabilized as long as I was on my right side. At this point the nurse was checking me every ˝ hr or so and I was making progress every time. At about 6pm she said I was completely dilated with just a small “lip” so she went to get the doctor. Just as she walked out in the hall he was heading to another room to deliver a baby! The nurse said the other baby had been having major heart tone issues and needed to be delivered first since we had just had minor issues that seemed to have resolved themselves. So I just laid there for about ˝ hr for the doctor to come. When he came in and I started pushing it was only about 10-15 min (I think 5 contractions) and the baby was out! Between the second to last and last contraction the baby’s head was right there stretching me which was rather uncomfy even with the epidural. The doctor tells me “enjoy this pregnancy you only have a minute or two left!” It was a funny thing to say to a woman who is about ready to pop a baby out. It was so wonderful to hear my little boy and to finally be able to hold him. After all the trouble he gave us in the weeks before he was born and even that day he was finally here safe and sound.

I did not need an episiotomy but did have some tearing on the inside of the vagina (there is a downside to having a short push time). I think the doctor put in 5 stitches. I had two stitches with my episiotomy last time and the recovery from that was so much better than this time. I know people always debate where cutting or tearing is better and after having both now I think it just really depends on how bad the cut or tear is because my small two stitch episiotomy was much nicer than my 5 stitch tear this time but I’d still take either of those over a csection.

I am still hoping one day that I’ll be able to have a “normal” delivery where you go into labor before your water breaks and I can labor at home for awhile first before heading to the hospital. With DS1 my water broke on its own before any contractions and of course this time they broke it and then started labor. My goal is to have a natural birth without an epi but I know that both times having to labor in bed on pitocin my body just gets too tense from the pain and the epidural provides the relief for me to relax. This little guy was born just about 2 ˝ hr after my epi after being on pitocin for almost 8 hours before that and only dilating 1cm so I don’t regret getting it because I know it was the right decision this time for me but I still hope that next time things will be different and that I’ll be able to experience a drug free birth.

It is now a week after little James arrived. I’m still a little sore down there but that is mostly from me trying to do to much too quickly. Overall the recovering is still not nearly as bad as the horror stories that so many new moms hear before giving birth. My nipples were sore and cracked for a few days after starting to breastfeed again but are healed now and we’re doing good.

[
April 4th, 2009, 07:43 AM
maryslittlelambs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great story, thanks for sharing!!!

Thank you *kiliki* for the beautiful siggy!

April 4th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Madeline410's Avatar Maddie
Send a message via Yahoo to Madeline410
LOL @ the bedpans.. I don't think they'd be my thing either It sounds like James is a little joker.. but I'm so glad everything turned out ok. CONGRATS!

95% of kids aren't in their car seats safely.
Click here to see how your child should look!

A rear-facing child is 75% less likely to die in a crash. Click here to learn more!

Are you installing your car seats correctly?
to watch my installation videos,
click HERE!

April 4th, 2009, 09:11 AM
cherry08's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great story Thanks for sharing - these are really great for first timers like me to try and prepare mentally for what is to come.

April 4th, 2009, 09:36 AM
*becky*'s Avatar Mommy to Bailey & Camryn
Thanks for sharing your story! That is so funny that your doctor said to "enjoy the rest of your pregnancy" right before James was born!

April 4th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Brenda04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing

April 4th, 2009, 12:43 PM
katidid622's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for sharing!!

Do you LIKE JustMommies? Help us get to 5,000 fans!
April 4th, 2009, 03:10 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
They asked if you wanted to have your tubes tied? What the???
Neither Rock or L.J. had any marks from the monitor on their head, they must have really pushed it on there on your lil James.
Glad your epi got the job done.
Congrats again and can't wait for the next little one to be on the way, I wonder if James will be one of the first older siblings in our soon to be PR.

April 4th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD3Tdance View Post
They asked if you wanted to have your tubes tied? What the???
Yeah the nurse said that it's something that she always asks and she didn't want to offend anyone but seriously who asks a mom in labor facing an unplanned csection if they want their tubes tied?

[
April 4th, 2009, 10:13 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Idk, I don't want my anything tied so that would have annoyed me, lol

April 5th, 2009, 12:21 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Your story gives me hope that perhaps my little trouble maker will be able to be born vaginally as well. =) She's head down now, I think, so that's encouraging. =)

I was induced with DS and they gave me a catheter when they wouldn't let me get out of bed. But then his positioning was such that I couldn't empty my bladder by just peeing on my own, and they were concerned I'd get a UTI (I just JUST finished the antibiotic run from a kidney infection).

DS also got the internal monitor thing stuck to his head because he was sitting towards my back and they kept losing his heart rate on the belly monitor - he still has a scar and a little bald spot there, but his hair covers it up.
April 6th, 2009, 02:10 PM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ruth, what an inspiring story! I am sorry James gave you such trouble right up until delivery...but thankfully he is here safely and you were able to avoid the c-section!!!
April 6th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post
Your story gives me hope that perhaps my little trouble maker will be able to be born vaginally as well. =) She's head down now, I think, so that's encouraging. =)
I hope she cooperates and you can avoid the csection! Babies can turn up until the last minute when they want to.

[

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search