Alexander Robert's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 10th, 2009, 02:57 PM
KatieHeitman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KatieHeitman Send a message via Skype™ to KatieHeitman
Wednesday, March 25th, was a normal day. Went to work as usual, came home had dinner, went to bed early around 8:30pm. At 10:45pm I woke up and went to the bathroom, one of my many nightly bathroom trips. Exactly an hour later at 11:45pm, I woke up again feeling like I was peeing my pants. I thought it's probably just sweat, cause sometimes I sweat in my sleep (yes, that is gross). Well I laid there for a minute trying to fall back asleep, and it still felt like I was peeing. Then I reached down and felt just how wet my undies were. So I finally got up and went to the bathroom. When I finished peeing and was getting ready to get up, small gushes kept coming out, so I was like OMG I think my water broke. I didn't want to get off the toilet, so I was yelling downstairs to DH. I told him to come upstairs. He came up and I said I think my water broke. He's like we should go to the hospital then, so he called L&D and told them we were on our way.

We arrived at the hospital at midnight. They took me to my room and as I stood there changing in to my gown, I leaked some more fluid on to the floor. A little while later the nurse came in with those test strips to see if it's really the water that broke. She didn't believe it at first that it was my water, because she said the strips didn't turn dark enough. They hooked me up to monitors to monitor the baby and any contractions I may be having. I was having some contractions, but not feeling them yet, and baby was doing good. Half hour later the nurse came in again to do another test strip. This time she stuck it inside me. She said it's still not as dark as they'd like to see it, but since I'm having contractions and was leaking something that it probalby was my water. She then went to call my doctor. In the meantime we called all the family to tell them what was going on. My family all got in their vehicles and drove the 3 hours to come be with us at 1am.

Around 4am I was 2cm dialated and 100% effaced and baby was at a minus 2 station. I was now feeling contractions, but was able to manage the pain. Around 8am they checked me again and I was now 4cm dialated, 100% effaced, and baby was at a minus 1 station. By now I was starting to feel the pain and was really uncomfortable. So I asked for an epidural. Oh yeah, I had Group B Strep, so the antibiotics they were giving me was making me throw up. 3 hours after asking for the epidural I finally got it. I finally started to feel a little better, was still nauseous from the antibiotics, but now it didn't feel like a double whammy between pain from contractions and throwing up.

After an hour or so, I started to feel extremely numb from the epidural. The epidural guy came to check on me and I couldn't feel anything up to almost my neck. He was worried I would quit breathing. They turned my epidural off, and sat me up. After a few hours I was only numb where I was supposed to be, from the waist down. They set my epidural at a 6, and normally they set it at a 12 or 14. Apparently I'm really sensitive to it, and the antibiotics. A couple of hours later I got numb to my neck again, so they turned it off for a few hours again.

At 12:30pm on Thursday I was 6cm dialated, 100% effaced and at a minus 1 station. At 2:30pm I was at 8cm dialated. At around 8pm I was ready to push. Around 10pm, my blood pressure dropped and my heart started to race, but baby was okay. I took a break from pushing for half an hour, and they came in and did an EKG to check my heart, since it was racing. The EKG turned out to be normal. Then they did an ultrasound to see why baby wasn't coming out, they thought he might be breech. He was head down, but then they thought he might be big. They let me keep pushing. At 11pm, they had the OBGYN on call check on me. They had her check on me once earlier too, otherwise my family practice physician was taking care of me. The OBGYN thought that if the babies head did come out that he would break a shoulder coming out. So at 11:15pm I told them to just get him out. So off I went to get a c-section.

Alexander Robert Heitman was born at 11:27pm, weighing exactly 6 pounds, and measuring 20" long. So he was not a big baby after all! I'm just too small down there to push a baby out. His head was stuck in the turn, and wouldn't turn the whole way. Thank God for medical advances. I can see why people died from child birth in the old days.

On Sunday they were gonna let me go home, but were worried about me, because I bruised more than a normal person should. So they are checking me for a bleeding disease, which I still don't have the results back from. Hopefully Monday I'll know. So they said it was up to me if I wanted to go home Sunday or stay one more night. I decided to stay one more night, because I was still in pain and having a hard time moving around. Plus I was enjoying getting so well taken care of there. Also, from my blood pressure being too low at one point, they tested my thyroid and found that to be too low. So now I'm on medicine for a low thyroid. Well we finally made it home Monday, March 30th. Alex had a little jaundice, but it wasn't bad enough to treat it. Otherwise he is doing really good for being born 3 1/2 weeks early. He's been gaining weight and only wakes up twice a night, three times max. He only cries when he's hungry, when we change his diaper or give him a bath. He is such a good baby. **Knock on wood** As for me, I'm still healing from the c-section and am not supposed to lift anything more than the baby for another two weeks. I have to say my labor was not what I expected it to be at all. I'm just glad to have a healthy baby boy.

Sorry it took me so long to write this.

April 10th, 2009, 04:08 PM
VeteranMom3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
awww beautiful!! congrats!

April 11th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Fist Pumping Champ
Congratulations! He's a cutie!

May 2013 - Ectopic pregnancy
July 2014 - Miscarriage

April 11th, 2009, 01:26 AM
katidid622's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats! I love all of his hair in the last pic! Sounds like a hectic delivery, but glad all ended well!!

Do you LIKE JustMommies? Help us get to 5,000 fans!
April 11th, 2009, 02:58 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Isn't it wonderful how long it takes to get an epi? I sweat in my sleep too, there's nothing wrong with that, just means we're warm. But I totally have that I thought it was sweat story when it wasn't sweat too, mine was scarrier than water breaking though...
Sounds like you had an ordeal getting to birth and even after. I hope everything is OK, congrats, great pictures!

April 11th, 2009, 05:02 PM
*becky*'s Avatar Mommy to Bailey & Camryn
Congrats!! He is SOO cute...I love all his blond hair!

April 11th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Brenda04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats he is so beautiful.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search