Lauren's Birth Story and pictures!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2009, 04:57 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
I went to my regularly scheduled OB appointment Monday at 2:00. I was supposed to have an ultrasound, and they get mad when you’re late for those - of course I was running late. So I dropped Luke off at Grandma’s (yes. That grandma - *sigh*), and headed in for the ultrasound. She was still head down (though she did that 180 flip on Sunday). And they said she was 8lbs 8oz, and had a normal sized head. I was so unbelievably excited, because I was confidant I could deliver her naturally with no real problems.

I headed up to the OB, where they took the basics, and then set me up for an NST (standard practice for those of us over 40 weeks). After 20 minutes of laying there reading a book, they came into the room and said, “erm.. We’re gonna have you go 20 more minutes. Here’s some Sprite.” Okay.. That was informative. 20 minutes later she comes in again and says, “the doctor’s ready now.”

I sat in the exam room for a while, then he came in and did an internal. No progress. Still .5cm and 0% effaced. Drat. But then he sat down and told me he didn’t like the results on the NST. I didn’t record any movements, and they didn’t like how she didn’t seem to react at all to the contractions, and if she did it was either barely, or occasionally even poorly (her heart rate dropped). I mentioned that she hadn’t been kicking much the last week or so, and he sent me downstairs to L&D for an “extended NST.” (it was 4:00 PM)

So I got hooked up to those machines, and they told me it would only be an hour. Two hours later, the nurse came in to take the print out to the OB on call. An hour after that a different nurse comes in and tells me she THINKS I’m going to be admitted and probably induced. I paniced. I asked if I could go home and run some laundry or do the dishes or any of the number of other chores I’d left undone so far. They said no. Finally at 8:00 the OB comes in and tells me he doesn’t feel comfortable sending me home when the baby’s condition is “debatable” - apparently over the 3 hour NST she didn’t improve any.

At this point I was scared half to death that I was somehow going to lose the baby, so I agreed to the induction totally. I wanted to go on my own, but obviously not at the expense of my baby. So I was admitted Monday night, and Andy came over to stay with me. Around midnight they put in the Cervidil (sp?). I started contracting painfully but irregularly at 2:00AM. I didn’t sleep much, but it wasn’t so bad.

At 7:30AM on Tuesday the new on-call doctor came in to check me - I was 4cm, 90% effaced. WOO! But after digging a little deeper (literally), she discovered that the baby’s head was in the wrong position, and she couldn’t be delivered that way - her face was looking straight forward instead of having her chin tucked to her chest. But since babies with that presentatoin sometimes wiggle enough to be sitting correctly, they let me labor a bit longer.

They kept delaying the pitocin, hoping her heart rate would respond better to the contractions I was having. For the most part it stayed the same, but sometimes it would drop. Around 10:30 they finally started the drip. Her heart rate plummeted, and they came back 10 minutes later and turned it off.

At 11:30 the nurse came in and told me there was a 90% chance I was going to need a C-section, because Lauren just wasn’t tolerating contractions. She was doing okay for the moment, but the contractions were still pretty minor on the grand scheme of things, and they didn’t think she’s do well at all with the end contractions.

I opted to get an epidural - there was no point in trying to labor naturally if I couldn’t deliver that way. So I got the epi at 12:00, and took a nap. The Dr came in around 1 and checked me - I was 5cm and 100%, but her face was still right there (The doctor said when she checked for presentation she could feel a nose and a cheek).

They walked me and Andy through the procedure, explained the risks, blah blah blah, and wheeled me into the operating room around 2:00. The surgery started officially at 2:14, and Lauren was born at 2:44. The surgery wasn’t all that bad, but I did get an air pocket/bubble under my diaphragm that made it really painful and difficult to breathe (for which they gave me morphine). I also threw up, but I’m not sure what that was from exactly - anesthesia, narcotics, the pressure on my abdomen.. *shrug*

She looked like this:

I had the name Ariadne in my head during the surgery, but when they showed her to us I thought “that’s not an Ariadne. She’s a Lauren.” I asked Andy what he thought, and he immediately said, “Lauren.” So we both independently thought she looked like a Lauren, even though the name wasn’t on the official hospital list. So Lauren it is. =)

Now I’m home, recovering nicely while just taking Aleve, and trying to take it easy. DS has been bounced around for five days from house to house and person to person, and is completely freaked out and exhausted. He’s too exhausted to sleep, too stressed to eat well, and crying at the drop of a hat. Poor kiddo.

I’m trying to breastfeed Lauren, but her latch is typically terrible - it takes me 7-15 minutes to help her get a good latch, and then she falls asleep after five minutes and I have to start over again when she wakes up. Each nursing session takes at least 45 minutes to an hour, and she wants to wants again an hour after that. I’m dyin here. =/

The first was taken yesterday, the second was today before discharge. That's obviously Andy holding her.

April 17th, 2009, 05:19 PM
katidid622's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow what a turn of events! Glad she came out safely and all is well now! She is such a cutie....gotta love all that hair!!

Do you LIKE JustMommies? Help us get to 5,000 fans!
April 18th, 2009, 10:27 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
She's a cutie, and she looks so alert for so young there. It surprises me she doesn't stay awake more for nursing with how alert she is, but LJ was like that the first few days of nursing, but he's really easy now. I hope you can hang in there. I'm sorry it is rough.

April 18th, 2009, 11:12 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD3Tdance View Post
She's a cutie, and she looks so alert for so young there. It surprises me she doesn't stay awake more for nursing with how alert she is, but LJ was like that the first few days of nursing, but he's really easy now. I hope you can hang in there. I'm sorry it is rough.
She has her "play times" where she's alert and active (as active as a newborn can be, anyways ), which last for about 20 minutes twice a day. Other than that she wants to sleep. Sadly for us, she wants to sleep all day and be cuddled all night. I sense some sleepless nights in my future.
April 21st, 2009, 12:44 AM
VeteranMom3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
congrats!!! look at those bright eyes! i love the name Lauren. she definitely looks like a Lauren

April 22nd, 2009, 02:35 PM
kittywompas's Avatar Veteran
aww she is SOO cute!! What a bright eyed sweetie pie! Congrats and I hope nursing goes better for you, hang in there.

Thank you so much Brandi84 for my cute new siggy!
April 30th, 2009, 02:39 PM
*becky*'s Avatar Mommy to Bailey & Camryn
Congrats - I love all her hair!

April 30th, 2009, 06:27 PM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow...it all sounds like it was a scary time for you...the air pocket/bubble sounds horrible. Glad you and Lauren are okay now!!! TFS...great pics!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search