Camryn Grace - 4-15-09 (Successful VBAC!)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2009, 02:09 PM
*becky*'s Avatar Mommy to Bailey & Camryn
Preface: I have an irritable uterus and was admitted to the hospital for one day at the end of February with early labor. I was given steroid shots for Camryn’s lungs and was put on medicine until week 35. My midwife was concerned that Camryn was measuring big. An ultrasound was performed at the beginning of April and it was estimated that she weighed 7 lbs 5oz. I was trying for a VBAC, so the Camryn’s size was very important in order to avoid a c-section.
I had my last prenatal appointment on Tuesday, April 14th. My midwife checked me and I was 4cm dilated, 90% effaced, and at -2 station. She measured me and said that she thought that Camryn may be as big as 9 lbs. She said that since I was 39 weeks, we could schedule an induction. We sent the induction date of Thursday, April 16th. After the last few weeks of being miserable, I was glad to have an end date in sight.
I left my appointment and went home, updated all my family and friends about the induction date and then took a nap for two hours. When I got up, I went to the bathroom and I noticed that I lost the rest of my mucous plug and it had blood in it. About 30 minutes later, I started having contractions. Since I had been having contractions off and on since mid-February, I didn’t even get up my hopes enough to time them. Steve and Bailey got home at 5pm and I watched some TV with Bailey.
Around 6pm, I noticed that the contractions were getting stronger – enough that I decided to lay down again. I tried to read a magazine, but had to stop to breath through the contractions. One contraction was particularly intense. I felt an internal shift of pressure and decided to get off the couch. I felt a gush of liquid and knew that my water had broken. Bailey asked what was wrong and I told her that mommy had an accident and needed to use the bathroom. I couldn’t believe that I was actually in labor on my own!
It was 7:30 by then, so I called my mom so that she could come over to watch Bailey. I also called the after hours service to let the on-call midwife know. It was my lucky day – MY midwife was on call! I tried to distract myself from the contractions - I again updated my friends and family of the change of plans and tried to watch some TV. The contractions were getting stronger and stronger and I had a hard time not making too much noise during them. I didn’t want to scare Bailey, but she knew that I was in pain though and told me: “you go to the doctor, they will make you feel better”.
My mom arrived at 8:45pm and we headed out the door immediately. I was still losing fluid, so walking was a bit interesting. We got to the hospital at 9pm and they put me in triage just to make sure my water had in fact broken. For as much fluid as I’d lost, there was no way it could have been anything else! They moved me to labor and delivery at 9:30 and checked me: I was 5cm and 90% effaced. They got my IV started and my antibiotics for the GBS. The pain was really bad by this point and breathing/moaning/panting wasn’t working. I decided to get the epidural. My midwife arrived shortly after and was VERY excited that I went into labor on my own. I got my epidural at 10pm and was immediately feeling better. I felt like I could relax and let Camryn descend easier. By 10:30pm, I was 7cm dilated and at 0 station – the epidural was helping!
They let me rest until 11:30 and then checked me again – I was 9cm. My midwife said that she would have me do gentle pushing early to help Camryn descend. At 1am they checked again and I was complete. I started pushing at about 2am. At 2:50am, my midwife told me to stop pushing because I was beginning to tear. They helped massage Camryn out farther and then with one more push Camryn was born at 3:01am. She was 7 lbs even and 18.5” long (so much for her being a big baby!). A successful VBAC!!!
The put Camryn on oxygen right away because her color wasn’t as pink as they had wanted. She didn’t cry at all at first either and that had me worried. The nurses said she was breathing fine on her own, she was just looking around and taking everything in. She didn’t even cry when she got her hepatitis shot and eye drops. They brought her to me and at 3:30 I fed her. She latched on like a pro! She finally cried when they nurses took her back when I was done feeding her. She was already a momma's girl.
I am very happy and proud that I was able to have a successful VBAC – especially with a healthy and beautiful daughter as a result.

April 23rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
That sounds about like the perfect labor, first you go on your own and get to start at home, then your epi worked and didn't cause any complications and you got a vbac with a decent amount of pushing but not a LONG LONG time. Congrats, great story.

April 24th, 2009, 06:02 AM
VeteranMom3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
congrats!!!!! she's so gorgeous! how's Bailey doing as a big sis??

my little man decided to come before my induction date, too.

April 24th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranMom3 View Post
congrats!!!!! she's so gorgeous! how's Bailey doing as a big sis??

my little man decided to come before my induction date, too.
Thanks!

Bailey is doing great! She is awesome about running to get things for me. She just loves to help when it comes to Camryn. She tries to sooth Camryn too and will sing to her - its so cute!!!

April 26th, 2009, 09:45 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Awww, that's great!

April 30th, 2009, 03:01 PM
thanks ladies!

May 1st, 2009, 03:29 PM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Becky, I am so glad you went into labor on your own and the VBAC was successful...Camryn knew what size she needed to be to make it work!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search