Elizabeth Cadence Ying - 4/19/2009 (very long... and with pictures)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2009, 07:09 PM
heartandsol's Avatar Veteran
3:00 am on Sunday morning... I had a dream that I had this really strong contraction, and that I knew I was going into labor. It woke me up and I spent the next 20 minutes wondering if it was real or just a hopeful dream. I was 2 days overdue and had been having contractions for weeks.
20 minutes later there was another... 15 minutes more and another came along. I walked around the house for another hour or so while my husband slept... trying to confirm to myself that it was the real thing...
When I was finally convinced i shook him awake (it was around 4:30 by then) I told him this was the real thing and he asked if I was sure. I described how I'd been up and how they were 10 time strong than before, and where getting strong with each one... and closer together. By that time they were 10 minutes apart. I labored around the house, relaxing and using the techniques I'd learned in the Bradley classes to help get through the ever-increasing strength of them. We watched a movie, which was hard to focus on... but helped pass the time, around 8 am, they had become strong enough that it was time to call, so I phoned my midwife, Christina and she told me to meet her at the birthing center at 9 am and we would make sure it was real... by then I knew it was though... so we packed snacks and drinks and headed out.
We arrived a little before 9 (must have been my over anxiousness) and so we waited outside by the pond as I walked out the oncoming contractions.

Christina arrived and we went inside. She did an exam and I was 5 cm already, so this was definitely it. She hooked me up to an IV so I could get antibiotics for the GBS, not the most fun thing, but I had agreed to it obviously for the safety of my little one. I laid in the cozy bed there as we filled up the water tub with nice warm water, and at the first opportunity I crawled in. It felt awesome... the freedom to float around and be in any position that felt right was amazing. I got progressively more quiet as I sort of turned inward and focused on the task at hand

around 1:00 Christina popped back in, she had been around the center, but mostly let me labor on my own, only checking in to see if I needed anything. She could tell I was almost ready to give birth so she got her supplies ready and sat down next to the tub. She quietly suggest after 3 attempts at pushing that I try turning over to hands and knees to see if a little gravity would help give my pushes some purpose. I gave it a try and a couple of pushes later it was clear it was time.
Elizabeth came out in one push, head shoulders and everything into the warm water, and christina helped me pull her out. All I could say was "..I just had a baby!" in total shock. For some reason it wasn't really real to me until that moment, even through the whole pregnancy, all the kicks and everything. I was helped out of the tub and laid on the bed, they put little Elizabeth on top of me. She was very alert, looking around and squirming. We had one of the birthing assistants that was there cut the cord (I had completely forgotten they were there at all until that point!) since neither of us cared to do it. And then we had the first feeding. She latched on right away and did great. She kept her beautiful eyes open and alert, watching the world as she had her first little meal.

Of course after that I had to deliver the placenta... pretty easy in comparison to a baby, that's for sure! But shortly after that they noticed a problem, my bleeding wasn't stopping, and I was passing a great deal of clots. I was starting to feel a little weak. They tried giving me some juice and some food to keep up my strength but the bleeding just wouldn't stop, so we made the decision to transfer to the hospital.
The ambulance was there right away and with tears in my eyes I had to endure them seperating me from my baby to be hauled away to the emergency room.
Weakness came on pretty quick at that point, and I started fading fast alone without the support of my husband or midwife. by the time I was at the hospital I had gone very pale and threw up in the hallway. Fear struck me at that point and I started shaking uncnotrollably. I'm afraid of hopsitals and needles and medical things, so I had gone from a totally fearless place at the birthing center to my worst nightmare. I knew it was for the best, for my own safety, but I was horrified. They started using terms I knew nothing about like "DNC" (which I learned about after I had one) and the had me on painkillers after the first pelvic exam, for which my tension and fear made far worse. I don't remember anything past this point for a long while, though my husband says I continued to cry for pain medication and begged for it to stop. I woke up under the operating table completely numb, just as they were finishing up the stitches (I had had a pretty severe tear apparently). My husband said the doctor was amazed that I had birthed naturally and had said if I could endure that I could endure anything... which is very reassuring. anyway as soon as they noticed I was up they were explaining what happened, none of it really made sense, but I found out that I had lost a huge amount of blood due to my body trying to wipe out a few pieces of the placenta left inside of me (scary stuff!) The surgery had gone great though, and they expected the bleeding was going to let up right away.
I kept asking to see my husband and my baby, and they obliged shortly after, transferring me to a room in the MBU.
The rest of the time there dragged, and was miserable. I was so weak from loss of blood I didn't really do much of anything but lay there and feed Elly when she was hungry. My husband did all the work, and thank God for him. He changed diapers and walked her around, helped me get up to use the bathroom, since I could barely walk.. everything. He even fed me when my arms were to weak to lift the fork. A day later the decided my blood count was still dropping and did a transfusion, which took a long time and I cried through most of it, even though it barely hurt. Every morning for 3 days, they did blood work at 6 am. "Good morning! Here's you're daily needle!" I couldn't wait to get home! and on thursday morning they decided I was stable enough to return home, but needed to rest for 6 weeks. My blood volume is still low (a little over 50% of ideal I believe) But I can finally get up and walk myself to the bathroom, and get up to change my baby and feed her! All in all it was well worth the trauma of the hosiptal stay and the surgery to have my baby! Not only that but I DID get the natural birth I wanted, and in hindsight I wouldn't have had it any other way. Elizabeth has been a trooper the whole time, she is great and SO healthy. I can't believe how much she looks like her daddy, who I wouldn't trade for the world, he never left my side during the whole ordeal, and he has taken the most amazing care of me, even now.

and here's my reward!

Rachel and Xiwei Ying - proud parents of one beautiful baby girl with another baby on the way!

April 23rd, 2009, 07:26 PM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
wow! what a story. I would have been so terrified to have that happen. and your elizabeth is so gorgeous.
April 24th, 2009, 05:52 AM
VeteranMom3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
congratualtions!!! she's a living doll

April 26th, 2009, 09:39 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I'm surprised they didn't take the baby when they took you in the ambulance, that would be an awful ending to what seems like a pretty perfect labor . Congrats she's a cutie.

April 30th, 2009, 02:56 PM
*becky*'s Avatar Mommy to Bailey & Camryn
Wow - what a story! I'm glad everything is ok!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search