Hazel's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2009, 11:53 AM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The morning of 4/15 at 11:02am, I stood up to go potty and there was a gush of water. I was in disbelief as to whether it was indeed my water breaking... I called L&D and they told me to put a pad on and if it soaked through in 1hour or less, then to call them back and come in. I called my mom (who would have to drive me to meet DH at our house) and told her what happened and that I was putting on the pad and to continue shopping and I'd call with an update. Then I called DH and filled him in on everything and gave him the warning that this "might be it." 20 minutes later, I had soaked through the pad with clear liquid and was on my second pad. I called back to L&D and they told me to come in, but to take my time and make sure I had eaten lunch.

I called back both DH and my mom as well as my dad and told them that it was "go time." I asked mom to make sure she bought a pizza on the way home as they told me to eat lunch before coming in. Mom came home around 12:00 with the cheese pizza and we headed down to my house to meet my DH. DH met us (it was around 12:30ish) and got into the driver's seat. My mom went to hang out in my house and wait for a call from us (my dad went down later to pick her up.) We arrived at the hospital around 1:15pm-ish (there was a farmer's market and live music going on outside...pretty cool to drive up to that!) DH found someone with a wheelchair to take me up to L&D while he went to park the car.

In L&D they took me into an actual L&D room (not triage) and had me put the test strip to the fluid leaking...it turned black purple right away. The also had me put a slide to the leaking fluid and then put me on the monitors and left. Around 2pm a doctor came to see me and told me that indeed it was my water bag and that we should just relax and hang out as the contactions were beginning to pick up a bit (3-5 minutes apart). DH and I breathed thru them.

At 5pm, the doctor came in again and said that she wasn't going to check me yet as she didn't want to risk infection, but that she was concerned as my contractions were still only 2-3 minutes apart). She said she'd be back to check in around 7pm .

At 7pm, still no cervix check... the contractions were still 2-3 minutes apart but were getting much more painful. I asked if I could take a shower as the breathing was becoming less effective and the pain was really picking up. The answer was yes, so I got right in the shower and the contractions really started picking up 1-2 minutes apart and VERY painful. I was moaning and groaning. DH kept asking if I was okay and if I wanted him to rub my back...I yelled out to him, "I've decided I'm not ever going to have this baby. She can just stay in!" I also told him that I was never going to get out of the shower.

At 7:30, still in the shower, I made the decision to get some pain meds... it was a tough decision for me to make...in a way I felt like a failure...but in another way I knew it was what I needed. DH told me that I'd have to get out of the shower to get pain meds...so did the nurse...they coaxed me out of the shower and back into bed and back on the monitors. The contractions were coming about every 1-2 min apart. The doctor came in and said she'd order the epidural.

Right after she walked out, over the loud speaker came ding, ding, ding... "Crash c-section labor and delivery room 1" ding ding ding...then about a minute later it happened again only this time it said "crash c-section labor and delivery room 2." My nurse popped back in and said... "I don't know if you just heard those announcements, but it is kinda bad news for you...that means both of the anesthesiologists on call are going to be busy for a while...it could be 20minutes or a few hours...but you are first on the list when one gets a free minute" That was about 7:35pm...at 9:30pm, I finally got my epidural. Needless to say, once I had made the decision, waiting those 2 hours was torture!!! My contractions were VERY intense and DH did an amazing job of trying to get me to focus and do our lamaze breathing...I couldn't have done it without him!!!

At 9:30pm after I got my epidural (it was HEAVEN!!!) I kept saying to DH, "Why did I not ask for this when we got here?!" (I know that next time, I am going to get one before the contractions become unbearable.) The doctor came in around 9:50pm and said that she was concerned as my contractions were still only 1-1.5 min apart and since my water broke at 11am, they would expect me to be in full labor by now as the longer it takes for baby to be born, the higher the risk of infection to both her and me. She suggested a small does of pitocin to speed things up. I was opposed in a way, but worried about infection, so I agreed.

At 10pm,, they started a very low dose pitocin drip (1cc) and FINALLY checked my cervix... I was 3cm and 70% effaced. The doctor told me that it would likely be several hours if not the morning before I was ready to push so to let DH get some sleep. DH dozed off in the chair and I could definitely feel the contractions picking WAY up even with the epidural.

At 11:20pm (only 1 hour 20 min after the pitocin began) I had an overwhelming feeling of needing to push... I screamed at DH to get the nurse that I needed to push! He jumped up out of his dozing sleep and looked at me like I was crazy...he called the nurse who came and checked my cervix. She announced I was 10cm and 100%...she said "don't push" let me get the doctor. Out she ran and DH had me doing feather breathing so not to push...in came the doctor who looked a bit amazed and said..."I'm going to check your cervix just to be certain...that was awfully fast..." She checked and said, "Yes, you are right, let's do 3 practice pushes and then start pushing"

I pushed from 11:30pm to 1:36am at which time baby's head came under the pubic bone. At 1:36, the doctor and nurse told me to stop pushing that they were going to straight cath me to empty my bladder so I would have an easier time pushing out her shoulders... they stood up and were getting prepared when I yelled, "I am not pushing, but she's coming!!!" Out she slid at 1:37am...(only 2 hours, 7 minutes of pushing!!! ) the doctor barely got back in time to catch her! She had her cord wrapped around her neck and her left hand around the cord (with her elbow straight out). I have to say...as weird as it may be... my favorite part was pushing...I truly enjoyed it!!!

Because of her elbow and arm being up/out...I sustained a vaginal laceration but no tearing on the outside!!! Just stitched on the inside

Hazel Dorothy was born at 1:37am on 4/16/09. She weighed in at 6lbs 15 oz and 18.25 inches long... much smaller than anyone projected...but perfect!!! She was born with a FULL head of hair and we are absolutely in LOVE with her!!!

If you read my entire story...thank you for making it thru!!!

Last edited by LadyBugMommyof1; April 30th, 2009 at 11:56 AM.
April 30th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's an awesome birth story, I really enjoyed reading it. Hazel is such a great name too.

April 30th, 2009, 02:42 PM
*becky*'s Avatar Mommy to Bailey & Camryn
She is such a little cutie Susan!! Congrats!!

April 30th, 2009, 07:56 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
She's adorable, congrats!
May 1st, 2009, 07:34 AM
MayBTheresHope's Avatar MayBTheresHope
Thanks for posting! Sounds like you had an eventful L&D, too. Glad she is home and her BR levels are up! Can't wait to see pics of that full head of hair!

Thank you Mama Trish for my fabulous siggies!
May 1st, 2009, 04:47 PM
LadyBugMommyof1's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks Ladies!!!

Sandy -- I put some pics on FB of her without the hat on...I'll try to find time to post here!

Brynne -- we love the name too! It was DH's grandmother's...but before I knew that I really was drawn to it...
May 4th, 2009, 05:18 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Ouch inside tearing doesn't sound so bad. And that you liked pushing isn't really that weird cuz a) you had the epi and b) it sort of relieves the stress that's been on you and it means it's really happening, lol.

Congrats, great story.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search