Serenity Margaret 4/27/09

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 20th, 2009, 10:32 AM
AshleyMarie's Avatar Proud Mommy of Two
Send a message via MSN to AshleyMarie
Tiffany, Bobby and Rayne (friends of ours and their 2 year-old daughter) came over Sunday evening and Tiffany did some acupressure massage on some pressure points in hopes that it would help send me into labor. We also took a nice walk to the park near our house.
“Contractions” that felt like really heavy BH began around 10:30pm Sunday night. They weren’t really menstrual like though, but were fairly frequent. I finally got myself to sleep at around midnight.

I woke up around 2:30 to go to the bathroom, I noticed an ever so slight pink on the paper when I wiped, but no contractions, so I went back to sleep. Woke up again at around 3:30 to pee again, there was a slightly darker pink on the toilet paper this time. I decided to stay up and see if any contractions were happening and if they were timeable.
I felt the first contraction at about 3:45am, this time they were more like period cramps and not the BH pressure type ones that I had been having earlier that night. I timed them for about a half an hour and the contractions were about 3-4 minutes apart. I decided to call the midwife on call and see what she thought that we should do. When she called me from being paged, we decided to meet at the birth center at about 5:30 (it was around 4:20 at this point). I called Tiffany to tell her what was going on so that she could get ready and wake up a little. She also called my sister to let her know that I was in labor.
I woke Chris up at about 4:45, letting him sleep as much as possible, figuring that one of us should have some decent rest. We started to get ready and figure out with my mother in law what was going to be happening with Nicholas for the day.
We went and picked up Tiffany and we arrived at the birth center at about 6:20am, the midwives already had everything ready for us when we got there. My contractions had slowed down slightly to about 4-5 minutes from the car ride, but the intensity had stayed the same.
I got checked at around 8am and I was at 5cm and her head was really low. I never knew exactly how effaced I was because all Sunita (the midwife) ever said was that she could move my cervix however she needed, so I’m guessing that I was fully effaced from the get-go. Contractions were around every 4 minutes but not really all that painful, I was able to talk through them and be pretty much normal without a problem. The midwives also administered the first dose of GBS antibiotics to me.
I was checked again at around noon and I was still at 5 but that was because Serenity had the front of her head pressing against my cervix instead of the crown of her head, and Sunita thought that she had her hand up next to her head which was keeping her from going over my pubic bone. We decided that when they checked me again we would talk about breaking my water to help things progress if there was a need. I got the second dose of antibiotics at this point. The contractions were getting stronger but I was still able to breathe through them without too much trouble, they were lasting longer and coming every 2-3 minutes now.
Between 2 and 2:30 Sunita came in to check me again and she still hadn’t moved the crown of her head over my cervix, but I had at least dilated one more cm to a 6. So we decided to have Sunita move my cervix into place and then break my water so that she could not move her head back to the way that it was. They had me sit on a birthing stool to make positioning my cervix easier and she broke my water. I decided that it was time for me to get into the tub. I noticed right away that the contractions were already getting much stronger very VERY fast! I got into the tub after going to the bathroom. The contractions were coming about once every minute to minute and a half, I was getting about a 30-45 second break in between which was enough to get some cold water on my neck and face and get a drink of water, since the water in the tub was fairly warm.
After what felt like 10 minutes, although it was a bit longer, I had to switch positions from hands and knees to sitting with Chris behind me. After 1 or 2 contractions in the seated position, I was already getting the strong urge to push, at which point the student midwife, Abigail, had to go and run to get Sunita.
This is where things start to get fuzzy for me because it all happened so fast. I think I pushed like 4 times or so to get her head out, at which point they discovered that it wasn’t her hand that was next to her head it was her elbow. After her head was out, she got stuck because of her elbow, and they wanted me to get out of the tub and walk over to the bed to finish pushing her out. There was NO way that that was happening, the contractions were coming about every 30-45 seconds or at least that’s what it felt like, and the bed was on the other side of the room. Instead I ended standing up and bending over the inner corner of the tub to push her out the rest of the way. I pushed 2-3 more times (I think) and she was out.
The parts that I found out after the fact besides the fact that she got stuck and her elbow was up next to her head… Sunita had to stick her entire hand up to help get Serenity out.
Serenity Margaret was born covered in vernix, she literally looked like she was slathered in cream cheese. We got about 45 minutes to get me cleaned up and over to the bed to lay down, then to spend time bonding with the new baby. We had Nicholas brought in soon after she was born so that he could meet his new sister, and he gave her a kiss right away.

I don’t know if there is anything huge that I missed when it comes to the transitional and pushing phases as they both happened so fast that a lot of it is a blur. Hopefully Tiffany can fill in any bits that I may have left out.

Thanks for reading!!

Here is the link to the birth story on the NCB board where I posted pics (breastfeeding included) - (Serenity's Totally Drug-free Partial Waterbirth)http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f266-natural-childbirth-stories/1552195-serenitys-totally-drug-free-partial-waterbirth.html#ixzz0G4KeNCRs&B

June 2nd, 2009, 09:57 PM
estherm's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
beautiful story!

i wish I would have gotten my waterbirth, so jealous....

Thank you Jaidensmum!
June 4th, 2009, 08:40 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I'll have to go check it out with pics.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search