Micah Christopher's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My EDD was May 20th, which had come and gone with no baby!

Around 10 pm Thursday, May 21st, I started to notice that I was having a lot of braxton-Hicks contractions so I started to time them, and they were about 5-6 minutes apart for an hour, but had no pain associated with them. I figured it was just like every other night and decided to just go to bed and sleep them off like I had done so many other times. I work up about 1 am the next morning (May 22nd) still having the same thing, only I noticed that when my belly would get hard, I would have cramping in my lower abd. at the same time. So I layed in bed for another hour thinking that they would go away. At 2, I finally got up and started to time them and they were 4-6 minutes apart and seemed to be getting a little worse. Around 3:15 I woke my DH up and told him maybe we should get some things around and head in to the hospital to get checked out. It was funny because he hoped out of bed and was freaking out like the baby was going to fall out or something. Men...haha. The car ride over there was just fine, the entire time all I could think about was, watch me get there and have the contractions stop and have to go home disappointed.

We arrived at the hospital at 4 am. Thank goodness we preregistered! They hooked me up to confirm that I was indeed in labor and checked and I was 3 cm. They decided to admit me for preterm labor since I was having regular contrax and past my due date. We got settle in L&D at 6 am. The contrax were still 3 min apart and not too overwhelming. At 8 am I was 4 cm. From the beginning of my pregnancy I had decided that I wanted to try to have as natural of a childbirth as I could. At 9 am they decided to start pitocin at the lowest level to pick up the contractions a little to see if I would progress. I wasn't super thrilled with the idea, but I figured that if they started it at the lowest setting that hopefully the contraction would still be bearable enough to make it the whole way with an epi. At 11 am I moved to 5 cm and the contractions were still pretty mild and I just either sat in the rocking chair or stood up and swayed back and forth. I reached 6 cm at 2 pm. At this point, the contractions were coming every 30 sec to 1 min and were super intense. I got to the point that I just couldn't sit anymore because the pain in my abd hurt so much and it was in a place that you really couldn't massage or rub to make it feel any better. My DH had to stand with me and sway and hold me up because it hurt so bad and they were coming right on top of each other. After 45 min of swaying and lots of swearing, I finally gave in to the epi, at that point I was at 7 cm. I just wasn't sure how much longer it would be since it was taking 3 hrs to progress 1 cm. I was afraid that I would be too tired to push when it was time. I was really disappointed at first, but I knew that it was the best thing for me over all. Finally at 6 pm, 17 hrs after contractions started, I recieved my epi. After it was administered, the babies heartrate dropped and I had to lay on my side, making it so the epi did not fully numb my left side, so I could still feel all the contractions, just not as strong on that side. I was so disappointed that I decided to go with the meds and they didn't work the way I wanted. Within an hour, they checked me again and I was 10 cm. Looking back on it now, I must have hit transition since I was so quick to progress.

My OB came in and did a final check to make sure I was complete and he also broke my water at that point. My contractions were very sporadic, so it was taking a long time to push. The entire time, my OB and DH were taking about hunting and fishing and telling funny stories, it actually made the time go by faster and more memorable. I couldn't feel the contractions, but I could feel the pressure when he was in the birth canal. And my OB kept saying how much hair he had. It took an hour and a half of pushing to finally get our little guy out. He came out cry and wiggling around. They immediately put him on my chest and I finally got to hold my little boy. My DH and I cried as he cut the cord. I had 2 very minor tears that had to be stitched, but other than that everything was fine. I was able to start breastfeeding right away and he did really well especially for his first time. I couldn't be happier how everything turned out. It was the most amazing experience of my life!

Micah Christopher
Born May 22, 2009
8 lbs 8 oz
21.25 inches.

Last pic Pregnant. 10 cm!

May 28th, 2009, 02:30 PM
ilovesnails's Avatar Tina come get some ham...
Wonderful birth story!!! Congrats he is beautiful!
May 28th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!
April 19th, 2011, 09:34 AM
MoonMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
can't wait to hear the story for #2!!!

baby Roger @ 7 months

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search