Nate's Birth Story, in pictures and video!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2009, 08:22 AM
M!che!!e's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: NYC born and raised. Now stationed in Savannah, Ga HAAF!
Send a message via MSN to M!che!!e Send a message via Yahoo to M!che!!e
Since I am too lazy to write it all out in text and since a picture (and video) are worth a thousand words I am just going to tell my story through the multitude of pictures my husband took that day.

so, we had to be at the hospital by 9 am to get admitted, get blood work done and wait for my surgical time of 11:30. so as we were leaving the house i took that opportunity to get my last belly pic, ever, for posterity.

we get to the hospital and mike and i quickly break out the reinforcements, our macbooks. i don't think you all realize how computer addicted we both are. this is the nurse prepping my iv while i am already on the internet, taking advantage of their free wifi. and i was on jm to boot! mike's mac is the white one on the hospital tray.

mike thought it would be a great idea to keep snapping pictures. my poor nurse, who was fine with the paparrazi like antics of my husband on me quickly jumped out of the frame when she realized she made it in the first picture. this is me giving him the enough look. thank god i wasn't even in labor.

so my surgery got bumped back because of an emergency hysterectomy which was then succeeded by an emergency c section. i updated jm during this time and took advantage of the plethora of movies my husband has on his macbook. we finally got to watch w with josh brolin, which rocked. my nurse came in once to let me know that the surgery should occur by 1 pm, w ended at a quarter to 2. i figured i wouldn't totally be a nag and wait til 2 to see if they had an idea when i would be brought into surgery. i also wanted to start watching the l word season 6 and i didn't want to be interrupted by a pesky nurse letting me know it was time to have my baby. so the nurse answered my call and when she called the or they were prepping it for me and i was to be called back at 2:20. this is when the happiness and anxiety started. i couldn't believe it was almost time!

my l&d nurse now comes in with a horrible antacid drink to keep me from throwing up on the table, yea it really worked and she had to shave me a little. now i was trimmed up by my dh last week when i thought i was in labor. but apparently landing strips and c sections don't mix and i had to have the embarassment of a nurse shave me down there and my husband cracking jokes. he even took a pic which i made him delete. i can only tolerate so much humiliation. well she left and then we started getting ready.

so this is a mini video of my husband putting on his scrubs. we have a demented sense of humor (come on people, jeeves?!) so don't mind our banter.

so the scrub nurse comes in, introduces herself and walks me back to the or.

the only thing i was really panicked about was the spinal. the last c section i had they put it in during a major contraction and it HUUUUURRRRRT! so they sit me on the table, the anesthesiologist just breezes in and he starts and it still HUUUUURRRRRT. he hit a nerve that sent fire down my right leg and i cursed, saying "ahhh it is burning down my f***ing right leg" and he had the audacity to ask exactly what leg was it burning down. well he finally gets it in and lays me on the table. as soon as i hit the table i feel like i am going to vomit, which is a familiar experience from my last c section. the nurse anestethist (sp?) rocked and quickly got me a bowl to vomit in, which i did and then shot me up with something. turns out that my bp dropped quickly and that is why i needed to puke. i still felt funny while they did all the prep and she talked with me through it, i told her that talking to her made it better. she was so nice and humored me. then finally mike was brought in and he took this pic. the n. a. obviously put some happy stuff in my iv because i look way too happy for having a 8 inch cut being made into my lower pelvis.

the na was nice enough to take our picture, again i look way too happy. but i will admit i was more lucid then i was during dd's section.

so before i know it my perinatologist is letting me know it is time and nate was being born. now i wasn't too sure if mike would look over the curtain because he didn't with lily. but i was shocked when he stood up, pulled down the curtain a little bit and starting taking pictures!!

now, here is my piece de resistance, the video of his birth which i will be sharing with you all. it is kinda graphic, but not as bloody as i thought it would be. i am so in awe that i got to see one of my kids being born it totally didn't phase me.

he was born! they brought him over to clean him, weigh him and do all that newborn stuff and mike went with them.

the na was telling me how much hair he had and how well he was doing and i cried, i actually cried. i was too drugged up to realize what was going on with lil's birth. i was so happy he was here!

the best part was when they finally brought him to me the nurse held him on my chest for 5 full minutes so i got to meet my son on the table, as they did my tubal. it was amazing and made this c section worth it. the staff at my hospital humanized this sterile surgical procedure and it was the catharsis i needed to get over my dd's birth.

they finally took him to the nursery to be assessed and all that jazz and my na put more happy medication in my iv and i slept a little on the table during my tubal which took alot longer than the actual c section (14 minutes for section, 45 for tubal).

i was in recovery for an hour . i almost didn't get to leave because i was having trouble getting my body temperature up. mike came and met me in there for about 10 minutes after he called everyone to let me know he had been born. he then went to leave to transfer all our stuff from my ldr room to my m&b room. soon enough i was wheeled to my room where our friends nicki and jeff waited with mike to meet nate.

my first time really holding him

mike holding him

his first meal!

it was a long day for my meatball, here he is content and passed out

and his stats
nathaniel bruce wayne s. (yes, his middle names are bruce and wayne)
june 2, 2009
3:18 pm
8lbs 5 oz
19 in long.

thank you so much for making it this long.

June 10th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats! Glad everything went well. You look so happy thoughout it all. Your little guy is cute.

June 10th, 2009, 12:33 PM
~LoViNmYbOyS~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
awwww such a cutie! and what a chunker!
June 10th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, Michelle. I really enjoyed your birth story. It gives me hope that my second c-section will also be better than my first. I could really echo several of your sentiments about my first being drugged and impersonal (I was completely knocked out, in fact). I loved the vid of your husband dressing. I was thinking Hazmat, too! I couldn't, however, watch the birth vid because I didn't want to chance freaking myself out a mere 14 days before my section, but believe me, I'll be right back here to watch it as soon as Sam is born. I can't wait to see what really goes down behind the mystery curtain. Anyway, thanks for sharing!!

[/url][url="http://lilypie.com"]

June 11th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What a great story!!! Congratulations!!

Stella Rae - May 22, 2009, 7lb 3oz, 20in and 4 weeks early!!!

June 11th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Popping in from Sep DDC, congrats! I loved your story as I am having a 2nd c-section along with tubal this time around and you answered some questions I had. Your litle guy is precious!
June 11th, 2009, 01:27 PM
**Melanie**'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Way to go Michelle! I had to laugh at you and Mike with your Macs, that was Jeff and me totally! I have the white one, and his is silver.
Great story and pictures and welcome to the world, Nate! Such a big boy! I'm sure Lil is beside herself with joy too. Congrats!!!!!

June 15th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mommyand3
Popping in from the August DDC...congrats! I can't believe they let you video the c-section. That's awesome!
June 15th, 2009, 05:58 PM
M!che!!e's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: NYC born and raised. Now stationed in Savannah, Ga HAAF!
Send a message via MSN to M!che!!e Send a message via Yahoo to M!che!!e
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyandowen View Post
Popping in from the August DDC...congrats! I can't believe they let you video the c-section. That's awesome!
our digicam has a video setting and i don't think my perinatologist realized my husband had switched the setting from camera to video camera. i am happy we got that video though. it was nice to watch one of my kids be born.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search