We're home with baby Leland! (birth story, pics included!)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Kennydra's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First off thanks so much to everyone for all the congrats and well wishes and thanks to my DDB Ashley for keeping everyone updated, it was a LONG day! We luckily were able to come home last night around 7:30pm, so we stayed for just over 24hours after Leland was born.

I got the call from the hospital Monday morning at 7AM with them saying to go ahead and come in. We got there around 7:30 and were all settled into our room by 8AM. My doctor came in shortly after and checked me, said I was still at 2cm, my cervix was high (which I thought it was low previously, but guess not) as well as baby's head and so he broke my water and they started me on the pitocin. They started upping my pitocin pretty much every 30mins once they saw Leland was doing well with it. So the contractions started coming pretty well, but nothing unbarable. The nurse let me know around 9:30 that the anesthesiologist was going to be in a surgery for a few hours and that was as long as there wasn't complications making it last longer, so I could either get my epidural then or wait and chance it. She recommended getting it then and so I went ahead and got it. It was funny b/c there were 4 other women there and my nurse was just sure that I was going to have my baby first b/c of how things were progressing (I ended up being the last one!). Around 2:30 they checked me and said I was 6cm and my cervix was thin like tissue paper, but still high so they had me turning and positioned in all different kinds of ways trying to bring Leland down. I kept feeling so much pressure and they would check me and he'd still be high!

So then at about 3:15 they checked me and I was at 9cm and she said I would start pushing as soon as we were able to bring his head down. Well shortly after 4 she checked me and I was fully dilated and she had me to some test pushes to see if it brought him down at all and she said it did a little at a time. So since my doctor was going to come in around 5 she said we would start doing some pushes in the meantime. Well that went on for about an hour! Pushing every few minutes and 4-5 pushes at a time. It was SO exhausting, but I just wanted to get him out! My nurse said we would try pushing for an hour and then the doctor would come in and assess things and we'd go from there. So an hour went by and I brought him right down to where I would push and she would see about a dollar size coin portion of his head poke out, but then once I stopped it'd pop back up . So my doctor came in to check how I was doing and how I was pushing and said I was pushing great it was just that he was a big baby and had to get past that last little lip. So about another 15 mins of pushing with my doctor and he decided to use the vacuum just to bring him down that little extra bit. So they used it for only about 2 more contractions and then I was able to push him out the rest of the way! Thankfully I didn't have to get an episiotomy, but I did tear a bit . My doctor said though that the tear I had this time wasn't nearly as bad as the episiotomy I had from Ethan (go figure!).

So Leland was born at exactly 6pm, weighing in at exactly 9lbs. and measuring 21 inches long. I think he looked identical to Ethan when he was born, he just is a bit bigger and has darker/more hair! So we are home now and all is well. Ethan is adjusting great. He was a little scared at first, but he is coming around . I am pretty sore, but mostly from using all my muscles from pushing and from all the good old hemmie friends I acquired . We are very tired, but very in love with our little guy! Thanks for taking the time to read this and here are some pictures of our little man!

EDIT: It's not letting me put my pics from facebook so I'm gonna try something else. Hopefully pics to come!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

Last edited by Kennydra; June 10th, 2009 at 09:21 AM.
June 10th, 2009, 09:24 AM
~LoViNmYbOyS~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i cant see the pics!! but so glad everything went well and congrats!
June 10th, 2009, 09:25 AM
There we go!

June 10th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on your big ol' boy! Glad your home.

he's so cute!

June 10th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
oh yea what a good birth and he is so freakin cute...congrats again.

<
June 10th, 2009, 11:50 AM
mandalyn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aw, how sweet!! Congrats.

June 10th, 2009, 12:43 PM
mellyburt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
precious precious precious.

so, kendra, don't lie to me....did the induction hurt? im so scared to be induced. i have never had to be induced before. i have had pitocin but not on very high levels.

Thank you so much for the gorgeous siggie, sara aka misfitinmn!
June 10th, 2009, 12:46 PM
NavyWife05's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
aww hes adorable hun congrats!!

June 10th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Lilmommaof3kiddos
Awww he is adorable!!
June 10th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellyburt View Post
precious precious precious.

so, kendra, don't lie to me....did the induction hurt? im so scared to be induced. i have never had to be induced before. i have had pitocin but not on very high levels.
I'm being completely honest here! I got my epidural early since the anesthesiologist was going to be in surgery so really it was not bad at all! My nurses were wonderful and kept asking me if I wanted it topped up and wanted to make sure I was comfortable. So for most of my labour (up until and just before the pushing part) I was watching TV and talking to DH, laughing etc. So if yours goes anything like mine did (hoping you don't have to push as long of course!) then there's nothing to be afraid of!

June 10th, 2009, 02:52 PM
mellyburt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i keep thinking i can always get an epidural. haha! thanks!

i was dialated to 5 cm with my son and had NO pain at all. got up to 9 cm and had to have a c-section becuz he was breech and they couldnt turn him. still had NO pain. so, i know i can actually have contractions that don't hurt. lol. i hope this l&d is the exact same! ugh! im just nervous is all - but so excited!

Thank you so much for the gorgeous siggie, sara aka misfitinmn!
June 10th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am so happy for you guys. I am so glad he is here. What a precious guy.

June 10th, 2009, 03:10 PM
katee
congrats, he's beautiful!
June 10th, 2009, 05:52 PM
LisaD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! He is adorable

June 10th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats Kendra! He is beautiful!

June 10th, 2009, 08:38 PM
~Kate T~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ~Kate T~
Awwww, you guys look so proud

Leland is a handsome guy! Congratulations again!!

IT'S A BOY! OLIVER DEAN WAS BORN ON JUNE 12TH (38w5d) 7lbs 9oz & 20.5"
June 11th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks so much again ladies! We are so in love with this little guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kate T~ View Post
Awwww, you guys look so proud

Leland is a handsome guy! Congratulations again!!
I don't think my DH has ever been so proud of me . The look on his face while I was pushing for so long I will never forget! That and the look on his face when they weighed Leland and he saw the scale . After that I sent him for dinner since I hadn't eaten all day and he was like "You can get whatever you want! Shoot I'll even get you Red Lobster takeout if that's what you want!" it was pretty funny .

June 11th, 2009, 07:17 PM
ltruesdale's Avatar ALL FOR THEM!!
Congradulations, he looks like he came into the world wanting everyone to know he was here.

June 12th, 2009, 07:37 AM
M!che!!e's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: NYC born and raised. Now stationed in Savannah, Ga HAAF!
Send a message via MSN to M!che!!e Send a message via Yahoo to M!che!!e
kendra, he is perfect! great story and awesome job pushing momma! you did great.

did you get red lobster?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search