Noah Cullen

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Mommy4x4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy4x4
This is copied/pasted from my blog ...

Two things:

1.) This is the 2nd time I've written this ****** blog because the last time I wrote it, my desktop computer's CPU fan freaking DIED and I was on the very last line and my computer just shut off. I was really, really quite pissed.
Ok, and 2.) This is going to be pretty long and a tad graphic, so consider yourself warned.
So here's how it happened ...
I was prescheduled on Tuesday, June 9th for an evening induction because I was already a week overdue with Noah. I was told to call I called in the morning and was told they were too busy and to call back at 8. So, I called back at 8 and after being on hold for half an hour … grr … I called back and they were apologizing because they were so stinkin’ busy, but the on-call doctor wanted me to come in for a cervical check to see how favorable I was for induction.
So I go in around 10:30 or so and it is Cmdr Corey on call as the midwife on duty, and Dr. Hui as the doctor on duty - which is ironic, because it was the same when I delivered Sierra back in 2007!! I saw Cmdr Corey and she checked me and I was 2-3cm, 75% effaced and at a -3 station so I definitely was favorable for induction. She asked if I wanted to be induced right then since they had room and I was like shoot heck yeah! So she left to go get my admissions paperwork and in between the time it took me to get asked that and her to walk out, someone else walked in to L&D in full blown labor. So then she said, well, you’re favorable so go ahead and just come in tomorrow morning, but first, let’s put you on the monitor for 20 minutes just make sure everything is going all right.
Well I notice I have a couple little contractions and each time I had one, Noah’s heart rate dropped so I mentioned it to the nurse and she took my read-out to Cmdr Corey. Well, Cmdr Corey said hmm, let’s do another 20 minutes and I had a couple more contractions and Noah’s heart rate dropped with those, too. So they decided to go ahead and admit me because she didn’t feel comfortable with me going home and his heart rate dropping like it was. Weee! It was finally time and I literally had nothing with me … no suit case, Noah’s carseat was down in my car … thank God I had brought Breaking Dawn with me so I could have something to read. So I was admitted at 11:30 for induction.
I started pitocin around 1pm and my contractions were every 3-5 minutes and I wasn’t in too much pain. I mostly just laid in bed, switching positions every few minutes and spent the time reading my book. Around 3:30 or so, my water broke in the bed and that was freakin’ nasty … it was discolored and I immediately was like OMG … the nurses thought there might have been meconium [first baby poo] but thankfully it wasn’t. Noah’s heart rate continued to drop down from the 140s to the low 100s with about 75% of the contractions. I got on a bouncey ball after I got out of bed to encourage him to drop down lower, but it made his heart rate go down to 90 so I had to immediately get back into the bed … ugh … I got checked about an hour after my water broke [around 4:45pm] and there was still no change [3cm, 75%, -3 station] and so my pitocin was kicked up a notch and that was when the “you may end up in a c-section” talks started. They didn’t consider me in active labor yet, but with his heart rate dropping down with a majority of contractions and the lack of progress a c-section was possible.
Finally at around 5:30, Joleen [my labor partner] was able to show up after her crazy long busy day [like seriously, June 9th was probably the busiest day ever for her!]. I was starting to get a little bit of pain from the contractions, so I asked for an epidural but since L&D was so crazy busy, the anesthesiologist was busy with a couple c-sections and more active deliveries … so they gave me Nubane … which was awesome. Within 10 seconds, I was just giggling like crazy. I totally understand the whole “it takes the edge off” expression now - I still felt the contractions but I guess the best way to put it was I didn’t care. Joleen was cracking up at me, I am sure I sounded like I was high or something. At the time I got the Nubane, I also had two internal monitors put in because my contractions and Noah’s heart rate kept disappearing off the monitors. At this point, Noah’s heartrate was fluctuating between 90 and 140 with the contractions.
At 8pm, I got my epidural and it was the same anesthesiologist who did Daniel’s general anesthesia back in March when he had to have his MRSA operation. The guy did a really, really good job … After I got it done, I got checked again around 8:30 and I was finally to 4cm. Randy called around 9:30 or so and we got to talk for a few minutes and he went to go to lunch and off to go weld something.
I couldn’t feel any contractions, but around 10:30pm I started feeling pressure so I got checked, and I was at 6cm and he was at around -1 station. I would only feel the contractions as pressure on my pubic bone and that was it, but it was steadily getting more intense. Noah’s heart rate was really starting to drop at this point, fluctuating from 80 to 110 or so, and Dr. Hui didn’t leave the room the entire time, because she was keeping an eye on his heart rate. I was getting scared because they were talking about his cord possibly being wrapped around his neck or other body part or it being kinked.
Well at 11 I was like ok seriously, I feel a lot of pressure and Dr. Hui checked me again and I was at 8cm and 0 station and she said sometimes with flimsy cervixes a woman can push through, so let’s just have the baby right now. Then I started like hyperventilating because I knew if I didn’t do this, it’d be a c-section … and I was hurting from the pressure even though he was still high up there. Well, they broke the bed down and got my feet up in the stirrups and in 3-4 pushes Noah Cullen was born. Like seriously, the kid shot out of there pretty much like a bat out of hell … I can’t believe I pushed him out at only 8cm!! But really, enough was enough at that point and I really, really did not want to have a c-section if I could avoid it. I was just terrified something was going to happen … it’s amazing what the woman’s body can do in the time of danger.
Noah came out dark purple and they didn’t put him on me, we got to take a picture of Joleen cutting his cord and then he was whisked off to be cleaned up and examined. Joleen ran over and was taking pictures and the first time I really saw Noah was through my camera … which is sort of ironic since that’s obviously how Randy saw him the first time, too. He didn’t really cry at first, it took him a while but once he did, it was awesome. He pinked up within a few minutes and stopped crying, and he just laid there watching everything going on around him, very observant and alert.
After he was brought to me when he was about 20 minutes old, Randy called back to check in on things and I just started sobbing and it took me like 3 or 4 tries to get “he’s here” out. Randy was kinda blown away that he was born so quick since he’d only talked to me a couple hours before and I had only been at 4cm. I put the phone up to Noah so that Randy could talk to him … it was really intense. I can’t even describe what it was like, I can’t even imagine being in Randy’s position, hearing his son for the first time over the phone and not being able to see him born or hear his first wails.
Anyway, that is how our little man came into this world …
Noah Cullen
June 9, 2009 @ 11:05pm
7lb 2oz
20 ¾” long
12” head
APGARs of 8 and 9

My family is going an entire YEAR in 2011 without fast food. Join us on our journey at our blog or on the Facebook fan page for The 365-Day Challenge!!!

June 12th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow...seems like a lot of drama on your day. Glad Noah is good and glad you didn't have to get a c-sect. Congrats!

June 12th, 2009, 09:38 AM
~LoViNmYbOyS~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ugh... you made me cry at the end! and i can't believe u pushed him out at 8... i didnt even know you could do that!!!!
June 12th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
yeah Nubane is good stuff.....I was talking bout Oprah helping me with labor, asked my husband if he told the horses (what i wanted him to say to the nonexistent horses we will never know), and something bout hot dogs....and I remembered none of that!

Congrats on Noah finally making his appearance!!!

June 12th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, what a story! Congrats to you and Randy!

[/url][url="http://lilypie.com"]

June 15th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mommyand3
oh Ashley! Congrats girl! He's beautiful. I bet Randy is just smitten though!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search