Madison Shannon (6/5/09)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Finally getting a chance to post my birth story for Madison. Maddie is our first baby together and so the pregnancy itself was a learning experience and whirlwind adventure.

We found out that after 1 try I was pregnant. That was at 4 weeks gestation and at 6 weeks we had the first glimpse of our daughter and she looked like a raisin with a heartbeat. At 7 weeks I had bleeding with clots and we prepared for the worst. I went to my OB that day and had an u/s that showed a little heart still beating but the OB told me that the pregnancy was now a threatened miscarriage. I prepared to lose the tiny little being inside of me and cried painful tears.

Our little girl had other ideas and we carried to term. Madison was breech and despite every trick in the book from handstands in the pool to seeing a chiropracter, she wouldn't turn so we scheduled a c-section.

The c-section idea scared me more than I could ever say as I have reactions to medications that have proved to be life-threatening before. The day before the surgery, we met with the anesthetist and discussed drug protocol, ensuring that they knew I was highly allergic to morphine.

On friday morning, we arrived at the hospital at 5.15am. We got asked a bunch of questions. I had an IV started with fluid bolus, drank some grossness to help with stomach acidity and was given famotidine and metoclopramide to prevent nausea. I was hooked up to the fetal monitor and Maddie was moving like crazy and ready to spring out! The nurse asked me if I was feeling the contractions. I told her it felt like my regular braxton hicks. She told me they aren't. They are the real deal and are 5 minutes apart. I guess that Miss Madison actually decided her own birthdate despite us scheduling a c-section.

My husband was very nervous and quiet that morning and I am not quite sure who was more anxious actually. Time went in fast and before we knew it, I was being wheeled down to the OR and had just enough time to say bye to Shannon and tell him I would see him soon.

I got my cool blue OR cap and then into the OR we went at 7.18am. I was positioned for the spinal block and leaned forward. It was pretty easy. I felt a few small pokes, lots of pressure and a warm sensation down my legs when the marcaine was injected. I did kegel exercises as I felt my bottom and legs go numb. I could still feel my toes but it was a weird sensation.

Once that was in, and I laid down on the bed, Shannon came in and I was glad to see him. The drape went up and I was hooked up to monitors to record my spO2 and heart rate

They had to top up the spinal a few times until I felt no pain. The cRNA was fantastic and very reassuring. I felt the urinary catheter being inserted but there was no pain.

I felt the incision being made and lots and lots of pressure with my body being rocked side to side as they tried to get her out. She was frank breech and it felt like they were pulling hard to get her out. All of a sudden, I felt the pressure release like a pop and heard a cry, lots of cheering and seen her be held up over the drape. When I heard that cry, it was surreal and I felt like I was going to pass out. It was amazing. She was born at 7.57am

Shannon went over to her as she got cleaned up and she had APGARS of 9 and 9. Finally what felt like a long time later, Shannon carried our baby daughter over to me. I was flat on the OR table still and could only use a finger to stroke her cheek as Shannon held her beside me. She was so beautiful all swaddled up. She moved her tiny hands and that made me realise she was real. She had a little suck blister on her left hand from where she had been sucking in utero. So many emotions ran through me. She was just so perfect and beautiful. It was like love at first sight

The Dr finished suturing me (all internal sutures) and they told me that my stomach was now nearly deflated and I was ready for bikini season. I was shaking from the effects of the spinal and the epidural. I had a demerol epidural for the next 24 hours and it kept pain well at bay. I didn't use the top-up button once. I couldn't have IV pain meds due to the potential for a reaction. We were able to BF once we got to our room and with the assistance of a nipple shield, we got the hang of it.

48 hours later we went home and at 1 wk post-partum today, its amazing to think now we have a daughter. She is loved so very much

June 13th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh, she is a little doll baby! thanks for sharing your story. makes me anxious and excited for my c-section.

[/url][url="http://lilypie.com"]

June 22nd, 2009, 12:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats, hun. she's gorgeous

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search