Caden's Birth Story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 23rd, 2009, 12:27 PM
kcass's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well girls, since Caden is now 4 months old, I decided it is PAST time for my birth story! So here goes:

On Thursday, February 12th, 2009 I noticed that I was going through 4-5 pairs of underwear a day, I'd randomly move and then my panties would be wet! So on Friday I called my OBGYN, explained it, and went in for an appointment. She checked me and to my suprise told me that it was not amnotic fluid, but didn't say much else. She measure my stomach (it was measuring a couple weeks big), checked me (fingertip dialated), and sent me on my way.

Monday and Tuesday I caught a bug from Zac and was INSANELY sick. I couldn't move without throwing up. Tuesday evening I was feeling better but swore I was starting to contract. But everyone (my parents and Zac lol) else was like "Your fine! You have two-three more weeks left!" So we went home and to sleep. All night I woke up with small pains...

Wednesday though I could really tell something was up! From around 10 am I was having small contractions every 15-20 minutes. I still needed a few things for my hospital bag and such so my mom and I went to Walmart. While there I had a few contractions that forced me to stop walking and talking...

We left and mom told me to call the doctor, I did, and talked to her nurse. I explained how I was feeling and she said that it sounded like it was here and to head to the hospital whenever I felt like it. (and not to eat anything!) Since I could still walk, talk, and joke around I decided to stick it out for a little longer. It was Zac's day off so around 4 pm My mom, Zac and I headed to my little sisters school (she's 13) to watch her cheer at a basketball game! So I sat there at the basketball game,, playing Mini Golf on a phone with my mom, and squeezing Zacs fingers off hehe... By the end of the game my contractions were 2 minutes apart steady.
I wanted to go home and get my bags before we headed to the hospital but no one would let me! So we ran to Burger King (zac was mean and told everyone I wasn't suppose to eat) (but no one else had eaten!) and headed to the Hospital (someone brought my bags later!) around 7 pm.

We got to the hospital and was sent into an admission room. The nurse checked me and said that i was still only a fingertip dialated, didn't know why I was having the contractions, and that Dr. weirdo (not my doc, dont remember his name, just that he says vaginally like hes british lol) would be in to check me.. She was thinging that I'd be sent home though. I asked if I could go to the restroom and she said yes. (also complained about being hungry and she told me I could have eaten!! grrr). I got up to go to the restroom and came back and they were changing my sheets! I was leaking something! In walks the doctor , and guess what! It was my doc! she had traded on call nights with the other doc! (i was super excited). She checked me and said that I HAD broken my water and it was very slowly leaking! So they admitted me around 10pm!!!

Off to my room I went... Dr. Weise told me that she needed to break my fore-bag of water and that if I wanted an epi I should get it now (at fingertip dialation!). I didn't know any better so I said HECK YES! They came in to put my IV in, and couldnt. Since I had been so sick the two days before I wa MAJORLY dehydrated. The nurses took turns sticking me, going through my veins, trying 5 times before they called in the anestigeiologist. He stuck me 3 times before he FINALLY got it! I then got the epi which went in fine. (Sometime during this time my mom had lost all my rings (engagement, wedding band, and a tanzinite ring i've worn everyday since she gave it to me at age 13. they finally found them in the hall, they managed to get it all on our video camera though ) The doctor then broke my fore-bag and left me to start dialating. Everyone settled in for the night (my parents,his parents, our combined 7 siblings, and my grandma), watching dvds in my room, and my bro/dad/and sis's bf all played xbox (yes they brought it with them) in the weighting room. By the time they checked me at 5am I was only dialated to 2! my mother, who gets very cranky without her sleep, said "that's it we're going home for some sleep! we'll be back around 9 am... call me if anything happens before that!" they left, and we resumed getting sleep, or in my case lying there. Around 7 they started my on pitocin and cranked it to full force. I started having intense contractions that I could feel in my back despite the epi, so they gave me the button so that i could give myself doses... you better bet that i was pushing that button every 10 min when it would let me! around 8 they came in and checked me, caden wasn't moving like they wanted him to be. I was also running a fever. They put me on antibiotics and on oxygen... Turns out My water had broken a while ago (like i'd thought) and I had an infection! Imagine how much my mom flipped when she walked back into my room and i had tons of bags hanging from my IV thing and had an oxygen mask on lol!

By 12 pm I was 9 cm. Around 1:30 I was ready to start pushing. I started pushing with a student nurse and zac holding my legs, and the main nurse doing the coaching around 1:45 pm. At 2 pm the student nurse announced she had to leave... and my mom took over that leg! (she wasnt suppose to be in there but i ended up asking her to stay). At that point Cadens head was stuck on my pelvic bone. We tried many different positions including using a birthing bar (HATED IT!) but he was not moving! Another nurse walked in at one point and asked if I was going to be the C-section patient and my nurse responded "we think so, We're just waiting on the doctor to confirm it!" I was like ***!!! SOooo we're still waiting and pushing and Caden started coming again... and the nurse says, "stop pushing I'm gonna go get the doctor..." and LEAVES THE ROOM! are you kidding me!?! By that time I can feel everything! the epi was gone, my dh and mom are standing there like "We're gonna have to deliver him" and I'm screaming at them to keep helping me push Because it hurt SOOO bad!
In the hall you can hear them paging ANY OBGYN what can help deliver because my doctor wasn't responding...

I dont really know what happened next but the nurse came back in ( i was still pushing against orders and screaming that I was quitting and couldn't do it anymore lol) and was preparing to deliver Caden herself when all of a sudden my doctor burst through the door, threw her coat on the floor, and caught caden bare-handed! She placed him on my stomach, cut his cord, and cleaned him up a tiny bit. She said it was the second baby she ever delivered bare-handed and hopefully the last, and apologized profusely... (apperently another patient of hers was racing me to delivery lol). I barely tore delivering Caden, only requiring a couple stitched. I was extremely detached for the first 5 minutes though from the pain. I pretty much just starred at the ceiling while my mom kept trying to coax me into looking at them cleanin up Caden.

I finally came around and held Caden and feel instantly in love... An hour later I was telling everyone I wanted another baby lol .

Caden was born after 2 hours of pushing at 3:43pm on February 19th, 2009 weighing 7 lbs 13 oz and 21 inches long.

(p.s. i was SEVERELY swollen from being pumped full of fluids and antibiotics!)

And now here I am with a 4 month old baby, half forgotten my birthing pains, dying to have another, and perfectly fine...

Last edited by kcass; June 23rd, 2009 at 12:33 PM.
June 23rd, 2009, 12:35 PM
Foyerhawk's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Foyerhawk Send a message via MSN to Foyerhawk Send a message via Yahoo to Foyerhawk
Awww, I cried! I always do now when I read a new mom's birth story. How sweet. He's so adorable, too!

June 23rd, 2009, 04:43 PM
amy219's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awesome!
May 4th, 2010, 06:58 PM
LumpyOatmeal's Avatar So in love...
Wow! I loved your story!!! A friend of mine had her baby in January, and the nurse left and told her to stop pushing. In the mean time, her mom tried to help her sit up a little which forced the baby out, even though she hadn't intentionally pushed. The doctor came in just in time to catch the baby as it came out unexpectedly!!!

DF better be prepared to catch if the nurse leaves me!!! Ha ha...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search