Nora Lorraine 6/25/09

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2009, 12:04 PM
MamaRN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I went for my regular weekly NST on wed June 24th as I had been diagnosed with pregnancy induced hypertension at 32 weeks. The Friday before my OB said we'd try to get one more week out of me (to 37 weeks) and then likely induce. The baby continued to do well on the NST's but my blood pressure was 140's/100 so the doctor decided to induce me that afternoon, would not even let me go home!

I called DH at work and he went home and picked up some supplies. They admitted me, inserted an IV and moved me to a labor room. They gave me a choice between Cytotec and Cervadil for ripening and I chose Cervadil. That was inserted around 3 pm Wed June 24. I felt some mild cramping and had to stay flat in bed for 2 hours, and then was allowed to sit up and eat. I could not get out of bed or walk around thanks to my high blood pressures, and could not use the tub because of the continuous fetal monitoring, which I was a little sad about.

That night DH and I got a little sleep and early in the morning at 3 they removed the Cervadil and I was only 1cm dilated and about 30% effaced. They started pitocin drip around 7 am. The contractions started coming fast and hard about 1 hour into the Pit drip... much more intense than I would have expected. They were every 2-3 minutes and lasting around 60-90 seconds. The pain was pretty intense. I lasted only about 5 hours without an epidural, I could feel most of the pain in the front. DH helped me breathe through them. Finally I asked for the epidural, and DH left the room and they put it in. At that point I was only about 3cm and 60% effacted. I had 4 contractions while they were inserting it, and the nurse talked me through them as I breathed, and she hugged me. She was wonderful.

After the epi I felt some relief and was able to relax for about 30 minutes. My legs were pleasently numb. The nurse inserted a foley urinary cathether into my bladder. Then I started feeling like I had to have a bowel movement with every contraction. They checked me, thinking I might be dilated more, but I was only 3 cm still. With each contraction the pressure and pain in my lower back and bottom intensified, and soon I was unable to get comfortable. They anesthesiologists came back and adjusted the epi, thinking it might be in the wrong place. They bolused me several times with extra medication through the epi and it did nothing for my back and bottom pain, only numbed my legs more.

At this point they weren't getting a good reading on my contractions so they inserted an Intruterine Pressure cathether into my uterus to monitor the contractions more closely, and the baby's HR dropped. They moved me onto my left side and placed an oxygen mask, and after a bit she came back up. Also at this time they weren't able to keep track of her HR with the EFM so they put an internal fetal scalp electrode to her head to monitor her heart rate. So now I had the foley cath, the IUPC, the Fetal Scalp Electrode, an IV, the epi, and an oxygen mask... none of which I had wanted! But my goals had changed, I just wanted a healthy baby.

Around 5pm her heart rate dropped again, and despite O2, repositioning and turning off the pit, it did not come back up. So the doc said we should consider a c section. After 26 hours of labor, a failed induction, a shoddy epidural that didn't take my back labor away, I was ready for ANYTHING that would get her out. I was signing the consent before I even asked DH what he thought, LOL (he agreed though.)

At 5:23 pm Nora Lorraine was born via c section weighing 5lb 10 oz, 18 1/4" long and screaming vigorously. She was 36w6d. The neonatology team was present and examined her and she looked great, so they handed her over to DH and I while I was sewed up. Within an hour I was in recovery doing skin to skin with her and attempting to breast feed. I was nauseas and vomited a little but happy it was over and she was here.

Here I am at the hospital my last night pregnant:

Me being induced:

July 5th, 2009, 01:11 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
She is gorgeous! Congrats on the birth of your daughter!

Oh and my "MIL"(we aren't married lol) LOVES the name Nora and tried so hard to get me to name Leila it!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

July 5th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
congrats momma! She is beautiful

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

July 5th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrates I love all the pics!

Ethan is celebrating Baya's arrival on 8-24-11
July 5th, 2009, 09:33 PM
AutumnLove's Avatar Autumn & Carleigh's mommy
She is beautiful! Congrats!

..... ..
July 9th, 2009, 09:30 AM
DawnN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
awww Congratulations on your sweet princess! That last picture of you three is just beautiful!!

July 9th, 2009, 05:12 PM
monilove's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats.... great pics and what a story.......
July 9th, 2009, 05:31 PM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on your beautiful daughter! She's adorable! I'm so glad she arrived safe and healthy even though it wasn't exactly what you had planned...these babies do have a way of changing our priorities, though.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

July 12th, 2009, 06:48 AM
.adi.
You poor thing, what a birth story! I"m glad she's here safe! Safe is all that matters in the end
July 12th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Regular
Congratulations!! She is beautiful!!
July 12th, 2009, 12:31 PM
jen44's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!! I love that last pic of her looking at you

Chloe - 6/18/09
Eli - 2/13/12
July 17th, 2009, 07:51 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats! She is just an itty bitty thing
I hope you have a speedy recovery!