Joel Michael 7/13

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2009 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Mel531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I arrived at the hospital Monday (the 13th) morning at 6 am to be induced....I had requested that they not follow the standard procedure, which was immediate IV pitocin. I wanted to avoid pitocin at all costs, so we tried rupturing my membranes and hoped that would be all that was needed. My doctor arrived at 8am and broke my water...or we thought she did. Turns out, she pierced the sac, but it didnt really break...and I retained most of the fluid...We werent sure that was the case until about 2 hours later when the fluid leaking was really minimal, and considering I had high fluid levels, I thought it was a bit bizarre...I was contracting, but not hard and not really regular... So around 10 am I went in the bathroom and rocked back and forth vigorously over the toilet and finally started getting some serious fluid flow...around 11am the contractions started to pick up and become regular. I was SO hopeful this was all I was going to need, I got really excited, DH, BF and I were having a good ol time in the birthing room laughing and cracking jokes. I was uncomfortable, but, I easily worked through the contractions.

Around 1pm we requested the birthing ball...got on that for awhile and bounced and rolled and had a general good time, lol. We walked the unit for awhile, and I really felt like I was progressing well....the contractions were getting stronger and closer together and I thought for SURE when they checked me I would be at least a 5 or more. At 2pm they came and checked me and I was still a 3!! ZERO progression. 4 hours of decent contractions and NOTHING. I was SO deflated and upset, because I knew what was coming.

In came the doctor, and the freakin IV pole, I just laid down in the bed and gave up. I knew at that point I was done, I wasnt getting out of the bed until the baby was born, and I just started to cry..the thought of being bed bound and strapped to the monitors and IV's just is the worst possible feeling for me in a birth situation..where my instincts and every part of me is telling me to stay moving and upright...But...they wanted him out by 8pm, because my water would have been broken for 12 hrs by then and they were worried about infection.

So they started the drip at 2:30. As many of you know, and especially any of you that have labored on pit med free know....the stuff is pure evil, it is the devil itself, honestly, lol. This time was no exception...the first hour, I did really well, it was god awful painful, but I focused and I fought like hell, even cursing the IV pole at one point, lol...but I was doing well. My nurse (who I loved) just kept saying..."geeesh, you're brave, or insane, I dont know which" LOL. Around 4pm the pain was just unreal...so I broke the rules and disconnected the IV from the wall, and the monitors from the machine, because all I wanted to do was squat...or sit on the toilet where nothing was under me. Dh took me in the bathroom and we "hid" from the staff pretending I had to pee. I sat there as long as I could before they insisted I come out, it made the pain so much more bearable and I swear I wouldve stayed in there until I delivered if I could have.

5:30 comes around...by this time the pain is so great, I am pretty much paralysed to the bed...my legs literally locked in pain to where I couldnt move them without assistance. I got an oxygen mask...and just laid down and did all I could to focus and breathe. I passed out a few times , but quickly came back around. The pressure was becoming SO intense so quickly, I knew I HAD to be close.The nurse checked me and said I was 9...but had a really thick lip left on my cervix that was going to be "hard to get around"
Lip, or not, I was ready to push, the pressure was so ungodly, and the pain so bad...I needed it over.

So, in comes the whole crew, at this point my mind is foggy, im so intrenched with the pain I was literally blacking out for a few seconds every few minutes. I saw everyone come piling in..nurses, my OB...the baby people, to set up the warmer, etc...seeing all of that energized me and I was ready! I thought he would be out fast...I had never pushed with any of my kids for long, as soon as I get that go ahead form the doc, its like yes, finally...and it does not take long! but....that stinkin cervical lip...would NOT thin out for anything! she wouldnt let my push hard, she wanted little pushes because she was afraid Id tear my cervix...so for FORTY minutes I had to lay there and resist the urge to push like hell and try and control it to "little pushes" to get past that lip. I kept asking her..."is it gone yet? are we ready? WHAT IN THE HELL!?"" lol...I wanted they baby out so bad...and wanted to push with everything I had. Finally I heard someone say.."its gone, we are past it...lets go...on the next contraction, push!"
I actually said...but didnt realize it until BFF told me later..."EF waiting on the contraction!" and I just started pushing...I did not stop until he was delivered. Joel Michael was born at 6:40 pm... She rolled him up on my belly, I saw his face looking at me...and I cried like an idiot and kissed him about a gazillion times all over his bloody little greasy face.

DH and I really went through a lot of upheaval and emotional ups and downs over this little boy. As you all know, the docs tried to convince us for a long time there was something wrong with him...first it was the positive AFP then it was the increased fluid...then the NST scare...we were always on edge and always a fluster it seemed, the whole pregnancy. I always knew the baby was fine...and I just kep telling myself over and over, he's going to be perfect, I just know it. Well, the mama was right He is absolutely perfect and we are so in love with him.

Seth 7-6-98, and Joel 7-13-09

July 16th, 2009, 02:43 PM
AutumnLove's Avatar Autumn & Carleigh's mommy
You are an amazingly strong woman, and Im so proud of you!!! Congrats on the lil' man, he is gorgeous. I'm glad you went with what you knew you needed and hid out in the bathroom, thats awesome!! I bow down to you, oh goddess of contractions!

..... ..
July 16th, 2009, 03:40 PM
DawnN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What an ordeal! But your little man is here and just perfect. Congrats!

July 16th, 2009, 03:47 PM
*1Boy1Girl*
Awesome birth story, Mel. And he is a such a cutie. I just want to come through the screen and hold him myself.
July 16th, 2009, 05:36 PM
fresh's Avatar Veteran
gooood job, mama!!!!! and he is cute cute cute!!!

July 17th, 2009, 09:08 AM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Congrats on a very powerful birth!! He is gorgeous!

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

July 17th, 2009, 10:26 AM
fuzzysunshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to fuzzysunshine Send a message via Yahoo to fuzzysunshine
I know I couldn't have done it, you are awesome! Congrats!
July 19th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow you are awesome to labor without meds on pit. I am glad it all worked out and Joel is so sweet looking I love those cheeks! I was waiting to hear from you and while I was in the hospital I could wait to hear everything was good for you!

Ethan is celebrating Baya's arrival on 8-24-11

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search